Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Tiptronic gearbox oil service

Harv

Suzuka
Anyone here changed their tiptronic gearbox oil?

I believe across the model range for years '98 to '05 they were all made by Aisin and were specified with lifetime oil (or something like 150k) which is nuts!

What is the oil spec and can anyone recommend a brand other than OEM (Mobil 3309?)

Cheers
:thumb:

It should be changed routinely.

If the car is stock - just do it every few years. If the car is tuned (therefore oil gets hotter under increased workload) do it every couple of years.

I did mine this Summer so wont do it again until the beginning of 2017. If you need a decent garage to do it drop me an email

MODERATED

Sorry to jump in on this thread, but I'd also be grateful for advice on changing gearbox oil on manual gearbox. Oil type and frequency.

erm, give Richard Squires at RSR a ring he did mine last - and he's Porsche Trained so wont feed you any third party crap

RSR Auto Services Limited - MODERATED

If not Chris Douras (100% certified skengman) at OCD Porsche - MODERATED

Fluid needs changing (Tip service) at 90k miles.

Problem is it isn't a true DIY (requiring a ramp and ideally PIWIS, the gearbox has to put into a service mode and temp range to correctly fill).

As GT4 says, not as straight-forward as one would think initially hence why I got someone competent to do it.

Happy enough to do this myself and have piwis.

Does anyone know the fluid spec? I thought I saw Mobil 3309 mentioned somewhere but happy to try something else with a recomendation.

At 160k the fluid in there must be horrid by now!

I haggled a little I have to admit!
I've noticed a lot smoother gear change, that's the main difference.

Smoother from which gear to which gear or across all of them?

Reason I ask is my box is pretty clunky going from 2nd to 1st but fine everywhere else. Even though my car is well below the recommended 96k, I'm wondering if I should consider changing the gearbox fluid as it's 12 years old.

1st to 2nd most noticeable difference for me.
As for you, 2nd to 3rd and onwards wasn't too bad anyway so little difference noticed there.

Shaoxter said:
Smoother from which gear to which gear or across all of them?

Reason I ask is my box is pretty clunky going from 2nd to 1st but fine everywhere else. Even though my car is well below the recommended 96k, I'm wondering if I should consider changing the gearbox fluid as it's 12 years old.

I normally view mileage guides as time guides (even if they don't make it explicit)

So using assumed 12k annual mileage, I'd be wanting to change every 8 years.

Oil will degrade, become acidic and oxidised and hydrolised (or hygroscopic/emulsified) over time in a GB, use or no use.

And that all assumes you haven't lost any (low GB oil will result in a jerky GB too)

I read a consensus view of changing the oil at 96K. Mine was at 98K, so a little overdue if you go by the recommendation. Feels much better now after the change.

Harv said:
Anyone here changed their tiptronic gearbox oil?

I believe across the model range for years '98 to '05 they were all made by Aisin and were specified with lifetime oil (or something like 150k) which is nuts!

What is the oil spec and can anyone recommend a brand other than OEM (Mobil 3309?)

Cheers
:thumb:

The gearbox is made by Mercedes Benz...

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
barrywhite
Back