Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

How important are Litronics when buying ?

Rob_benton

Hi

It seems only around 50% of 3.4's for sale have Litronics .
All my other cars have had Xenons, so how are the standard 996 headlights ?
And is it harder to sell a car without them ?

Also, were heated seats standard in 2000 ?

Thanks

Hi Rob.

I've heard from many that the standard headlights on the 996 were pretty poor. Both mine had Litronics and they were fine. They're a definite + but I wouldn't be put off an otherwise top notch car for the lack of them.

Heated seats have never been standard on any 911.

If you're looking for a Cab' I'd consider heated seats to be a 'must have' otherwise ......... :dont know: ........ I don't miss them in my 997.

I have never driven one with Litrnonics but I can 100% confirm that the halogen lights are totally *****.
It is borderline dangerous to drive in the dark.
I have fitted aftermarket HID's but the still aren't up to much. My 1997 M3 has better lights.

Hi Rob,

I have Litronics and have been OK, not brilliant, but they work quite well to travel at speed in the dark. Mine is 996.1 so not the same as Infrasilver. Others have tried HID and superbright bulbs to improve the halogen lights with limited success. I suspect it is old reflector technology on the 996.1 lights. As others have said though, not a deal breaker but nice to have!

I have heated seats which I prefer to have rather than turn the heater temperature up. I think it keeps me more alert on longer drives than a warm cabin and helps with aching backs - my wife also in the passenger seat feels more comfortable with them switched on. I find I have less backache with them switched on after a long journey.

May be just a personal thing.

TBH - my view is that the more options a car has then the more saleable it will be in the future. Of course if you intend keeping the car then it makes sense to seek one out with the options you want.

My 3.4 996.1 had the basic halogen. They're rubbish and I got litronics from eBay. So don't let it be a deal breaker. The right car (I.e. Good) can easily have the lights swapped. A bad car with litronics is not so easy fixed.

FYI litronics have self levelling. The standard halogen cars lack the circuitry to make thus work, so if you do buy second hand litronics, make sure the manual adjustment works. :thumb:

Litronics were about the only option not on my car, I bought it anyway and then instantly regretted not getting them the first time it went dark. The standard lights are suicidal if you live out in the sticks like I did.

However I bought some 6k HIDs with slimline ballasts off evilbay and they have been fantastic, made a huge difference and whilst not as good as the lights on my previous M5 they are a huge step up from the standard bulbs or any of the upgraded bulbs only that I tried.

For me certainly not a deal breaker but would fit aftermarket HIDs rather than leave stock

I've got a C2 with standard headlights (well at least I think they are!) and I've never noticed them being that bad, I live out in the sticks and often tear home at night in the wee small hours without problem.
Are the lights just supposed to be poor on dipped beam or both dipped & main?

Damn, I want some HID's for my car now as I feel I'm missing out (even though I don't need them)

Depends where you are, where I live you could drive around perfectly well with no lights at all (obviously forgetting the fact that other people can't see you).

But given the number of cars out there I'd say wait for one which has all the options you want. Heated seats is a must for me (and especially my wife). The last couple of days sitting in another car with leather and unheated seats makes you appreciate them!

New996buyer said:
My 3.4 996.1 had the basic halogen. They're rubbish and I got litronics from eBay. So don't let it be a deal breaker. The right car (I.e. Good) can easily have the lights swapped. A bad car with litronics is not so easy fixed.

FYI litronics have self levelling. The standard halogen cars lack the circuitry to make thus work, so if you do buy second hand litronics, make sure the manual adjustment works. :thumb:

The mechanical manual adjustment (ie through frunk sidewall) will be required to work on any versions.

The mechanical manual adjustment is used at PDI and any subsequent time the alignment had been lost (this can be an impact or clumsy handling of the lamp unit).

This is true for both halogen and Litronic: if the mechanical manual adjuster is dead (which I've never heard of), it would be unable to pass an MoT.

The electronic manual adjustment (the dial in the cockpit) only works on the halogen units.

There is no method to mate the Litronic electronic adjusters to the dash wheel.

There is only a very expensive way to get Litronics to self level (on non-factory fitment).

I would agree the standard halogens are dire.

Fortunately, the 996.1 Litronics are plug and play.

Even more fortunately (if you are quick), there are a pair of brand new ones for £400 (don't tell him retail is £1,200+)

http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=98506

Just to add to my previous post and clarify the electronic aim features are purely of the desirable nature, not regulatory.

The 996 and Boxster equipped with xenons (Litronics) are not required to have self levelling (although that assumes the static aim is set correctly on the mechanical adjusters, as with any headlamp).

If the vehicle has lamp washers, they must work.

If not, then they are not tested (obviously), and therefore pass.

Like a missing (non-optioned) vs defective rear wiper.

I thought all.xenons needed self levelling?
But you can just.retrofit, no worries?
Cool.I.think I can scrape together £400 :)

Not that I.find the stock items too bad with the decent Philips / osram night breakers

911munKy said:
I've got a C2 with standard headlights (well at least I think they are!) and I've never noticed them being that bad, I live out in the sticks and often tear home at night in the wee small hours without problem.
Are the lights just supposed to be poor on dipped beam or both dipped & main?

Damn, I want some HID's for my car now as I feel I'm missing out (even though I don't need them)

Me too - no street lights for miles around here, never felt like the lights are a problem - I have bosch pure light bulbs which came top in the which? test. I did notice some 996s have burnt lenses from running higher than legal wattage bulbs - this might spoil the lights....

996s are of an age where you buy on condition not options.

As said - easy to retrofit used litronics.

skinny_monkey said:
I thought all.xenons needed self levelling?
But you can just.retrofit, no worries?
Cool.I.think I can scrape together £400 :)

Nope, no levelling required.

911s (or low sports cars in general) are exempt from levellers:

DFT said:
It is also worthy of note that a few high performance vehicles fitted with HID headlamps that have barely any luggage space and stiff suspension do not require a self-levelling system.

http://www.dft.gov.uk/pgr/roadsafety/drs/hidheadlamps

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back