Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

My 1998 Boxster 2.5 project begins...

kas750

I have been looking for a Boxster for a while and having owned a 986 when they were launched I was looking forward to owning one again.I always remember that although the 2.5 engine was not blisteringly fast it was very eager to rev and was satisfying to drive.

I went to look at a couple of cars with 130k plus miles on the clock which although they were still running ok they had very worn interiors and sketchy service histories.

I then spotted a 1998 2.5 Tiptronic car that was local to me that had been owned by the same person for 6 years.Although it had been listed as a cat d in 2005 due to the renewal of the o/s rear quarter panel it had a full and comprehensive service history with a documented 84,000 miles and just 4 owners from new.A deal was done and here it is!

Mechanically the car is very good but the paintwork does need some remedial work due to the lacquer peeling on some of the panels.It needs a service and a general tidy up but it is essentially a good car from what I can see.

My driving impressions of the tiptronic box are very favourable.
In fact having initially driven this car early on in my search a tiptronic became my preference due to it's easy going nature and the way it is willing to waft around but with the ability to respond suprising quickly to a change in driving style.

I must say I am absolutely thrilled with it and it does bring back very good memories from when we owned one back in the nineties.

:popcorn: :)

Looks great :thumb:
£1500 is an absolute steel...
I'll be watching :grin:

Will be watching this, l am sure there are a lot of us now thinking of looking for a cheap Boxster :thumbs:

Wow! Well done kas!

Looks like you got an awful lot of car for the money there!

I presume with the tip option and buying a cat D this must be to use as a daily driver?

For its age it looks in good condition although I'm not sure if I can see the differing shades of guards red on the rear quarters, especially on the spoiler which is a little out of line?

Regardless, this is very easy to sort out as you know!

I'm thrilled for you dude, yet again providing me with more inspiration :thumb:

ragpicker said:
Wow! Well done kas!

Looks like you got an awful lot of car for the money there!

I presume with the tip option and buying a cat D this must be to use as a daily driver?

For its age it looks in good condition although I'm not sure if I can see the differing shades of guards red on the rear quarters, especially on the spoiler which is a little out of line?

Regardless, this is very easy to sort out as you know!

I'm thrilled for you dude, yet again providing me with more inspiration :thumb:

Yes it can only ever be a daily but for anybody that owns a 996 or 997 it is surprisingly familiar to drive.

The colour was a big plus as I will probably do the paintwork myself and being a solid colour makes it more straightforward.The panels are actually ok really and for the money I can't believe I got a running Boxster with 12 months mot.It's all for a laugh really.I now own a front engine,mid engine and rear engine Porsche.So I have the bases covered now.

Life's too short to just talk about doing things. :D

That looks an absolute cracker for the money ! looking forward to the project. :popcorn:

The owner kindly passed on a couple of spare rear light clusters that had been given to him. :thumb:

But worryingly also passed on these manifold gaskets. :what:

Oh well..all part of the fun. :thumbs:

In between rain showers I gave the car a preliminary clean inside and its starting to look ok.

That is a bargain. The show begins... :popcorn:

Nice car. well done Kas.
I've just bought one too, also a Tip so I'll be enjoying this thread. I wanted a manual ideally but the box is so quick and responsive it's a lot of fun.
I've never had a Boxster before and I wish I'd bought one 10 years ago.

The best mod I've done to my 97 2.5 was to fit the later type hood and frame with the glass rear screen , no worries about cracking plastic and also has a rear glass heater, bought the whole thing of eBay inc, the two drive gear boxes for £500, no doubt it would be several thousands new, took few days to fit mind.

Just noticed Ms. Burrows has done some of the 'looking after' - that's a bonus :thumb:

alex yates said:
Just noticed Ms. Burrows has done some of the 'looking after' - that's a bonus :thumb:

Indeed!..It's picked up a couple of "advisories" along the way from her :lol:

Utter bargain.

Look forward to the updates. :thumb:

I've had a quick skim and cannot find anything near that price ..
As mentioned before, absolute bargain!!
Well done :thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back