Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Porsche 964 accelerometer testing

Mr Bacchus

Spa-Francorchamps
After spending many many hours troubleshooting an ABS/PDAS warning light issue that I finally traced to a problematic longitudinal accelerometer I thought I would share my experience of testing the accelerometer.

Its a bit wordy but hopefully this can help others.

Problem: ABS and PDAS warning lamps illuminated plus 16 alarm bleeps. 99% of the time the lamps did not go out when engine is started but in some rare cases I could drive for a while but eventually the lamps would come on. Most recently the Brake Pressure warning lamp also decided to join the party.

Cause: Short or open circuit on the circuit board of the accelerometer (meaning sometimes it was going open circuit and sometimes going short circuit)

Solution: These sensors are not cheap to replace, I was quoted £???? by my local OPC and second hand sensors can be found on auction sites at the time of this post for about £150. I quickly discovered that just tapping the sensor could switch it between working and open circuit or short circuit so I deduced that my problem was a bad connection somewhere on the circuit board. I proved this by removing the screws that hold the board to the plastic housing and very gently lifting it, sure enough I could 'switch' the board between working and not working. I fiddled on for a while and quite by chance, by pressing quite hard on a solder joint with the point of screwdriver, I got the board to work correctly continuously. I appreciate this is not a permanent solution so I will have one of my suppliers, who makes printed circuit boards, make a permanent repair. I needed mine sorting ASAP as my MOT had expired last week and these lamps illuminated are a sure fail.

It is probably worth me trying to explain how these sensors work, although the Adrian Streather book and Porsche Workshop Manual provided my knowledge. The 964 has two identical accelerometers, located at 90 degrees to each other just forward of the gear stick under the carpeted cover. One accelerometer measures forward acceleration/deceleration (longitudinal sensor) and the other measures side acceleration (lateral sensor). The sensor has three contacts (I'm calling them pins), pin 3 receives 5 volts from the ABS/PDAS controller and pin 1 is the ground. Pin 2 provides an output voltage to the control unit of 2.7V when the car is on level ground. When the car is accelerating/decelerating the sensor will give an output of >2.7V or <2.7V depending upon its attitude.

During troubleshooting with the car on level ground I was getting either 5V or 0V out of pin 2, therefore the sensor was either open circuiting or short circuiting. I hit lucky during testing as I managed at one point to measure 2.7V and sure enough my lamps went out when the engine started. I removed the sensor from the car for further testing on the bench.

Here are some photos which hopefully help demonstrate my testing.

Photo below shows the measurement of 2.7V i.e. correct. Measured between pin 2 (by back-probing at the connector) and ground. If you measure between 1 and ground you get 5V, 3 and ground you get 0V. This is measured with ignition on, no need to start the engine.

Accel%201.jpg

Photo below shows the pin numbers are marked on the connector moulding.

Accel%202.jpg

Photo below shows my bench testing kit: a power source set to output 5V, multimeter and some leads. The 5V was connected to pin 3 and the ground to pin 1.

Accel%203.jpg

Photo below shows internals of sensor and the external and internal pins marked 1, 2, 3. The board connects to the 'Y' shaped connections that come through the moulding from external to internal.

Accel%204.jpg

Photo below shows the measurement of 5V at pin 3. I'm actually probing at the connection to the board on the inside for ease of access, I had already checked continuity between the external and internal connections.

Accel%205.jpg

Photo below shows the measurement of 0V at pin 1.

Accel%206.jpg

Photo below shows the correct measurement of 2.7V at pin 2 when the sensor is level.

Accel%207.jpg

Photo below shows the measurement of > 2.7V when the sensor leans to one side.

Accel%208.jpg

Photo below shows the measurement of < 2.7V when the sensor leans to the opposite side

Accel%209.jpg

Sounds like excellent trouble shooting , as an ex mechanic from many years ago, I'm interested in knowing what what you mean by "16alarm beeps" and obviously I know what ABS is but what's PDAS?

AVI_8 said:
I'm interested in knowing what what you mean by "16alarm beeps" and obviously I know what ABS is but what's PDAS?

Hi,

PDAS is the German acronym for Porsche Dynamische Allrad Steurung, or simply dynamic stability control.

You can read about it at the below link, or better still buy Adrian's book.

http://www.adrianstreather.com/docs/PDAS Technical overviewR2.pdf

On bleeps, the 964 warning lamps are accompanied by one, two or three bleeps dependant upon the severity of the warning condition. My car was bleeping 16 times which proves that car warning systems are great for expected fault conditions but get very confused when you have short and/or open circuits.

Cheers
Steve

First post updated to replace images ruined by Photobucket, thanks to Ricks93-964 for bringing this to my attention.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
b8n8tai
Back