Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Flirting with a change... 964 to 997TT

Jcx

Hi Folks,

I am flirting with the idea of changing weekend plaything. I am far from 'over' my 964 but I am hankering after a 997TT. Thing is I cant keep both, we don't have the space, so if I find the right 997TT then I have to lose the 964.

Am I completely mad?

JCX

Yes, you are completely mad.

MC

yes, you're nuts. You will regret it.. eventually. 997 will be an awesome tool but after a while you'll hark after the simple pleasures of the 964.

------------------------------------------
#27 - Adriatic Blue Lighweight C4
Cup Cams, Carbon Bonnet, Fibreglass Ducktail, RS Interior, RS Engine Mounts, RS Brake vents, Intrax Coilovers with solid mounts, Powerflex bushes, H&R Roll Bars, Sunroof Delete..for more detail:
www.number27.net

Follow me on twitter if you want to get latest updates on my articles and news:
@27number27

:wack: ^^agree with jack^^

POWER!!! You will love the 997T I have no doubts. As I have never owned (or even been in) a 964 I can't attest to how they will compare.

MisterCorn said:
Yes, you are completely mad.

MC

Go on then Martin, why? You have a 996TT and you don't have a 964. So what makes you think I am mad?

Jack and James i hear you two, and Isyman too.

Ugh i used to chuckle when i saw threads like this. I used to think 'just do what you want and make up your own mind man!' but now I feel the need to take on board advice from others and learn from their mistakes/experiences.

The older cars are, subjectively, better looking than their grandchildren. They are smaller, less common and in my experience less rage inducing among the proletariat. They are more demanding (or engaging) to drive and more agricultural as result.

The newer cars are far faster, easier to drive, more comfortable to cover distance in. In the case of a 997T they are properly fast as well. They are better equipped with more mod cons

Both are an experience to drive. Aside from the fact they are both referred to as a 911 and have a luggage compartment at the front and engine at the back a 964 has as much in common with a 997t as a Sony Walkman circa 1989 has with an iPod.

What do you value? What do you like?

Completely different experience red or white wine?

I drove a 991 GTS recently. Completely superior to drive over my 993 in every measurable criteria. Save the fact it's currently shedding £500 per month I value.

Change is good. Do it before you become too attached but do it in the knowledge finding another GOOD old car is likely more costly and more of a mission than finding a Good news car

highway said:
The older cars are, subjectively, better looking than their grandchildren. They are smaller, less common and in my experience less rage inducing among the proletariat. They are more demanding (or engaging) to drive and more agricultural as result.

The newer cars are far faster, easier to drive, more comfortable to cover distance in. In the case of a 997T they are properly fast as well. They are better equipped with more mod cons

Both are an experience to drive. Aside from the fact they are both referred to as a 911 and have a luggage compartment at the front and engine at the back a 964 has as much in common with a 997t as a Sony Walkman circa 1989 has with an iPod.

What do you value? What do you like?

Completely different experience red or white wine?

I drove a 991 GTS recently. Completely superior to drive over my 993 in every measurable criteria. Save the fact it's currently shedding £500 per month I value.

Change is good. Do it before you become too attached but do it in the knowledge finding another GOOD old car is likely more costly and more of a mission than finding a Good news car

I think you nailed it H!

Fear of not being able to 'go back' is a factor in not changing. My 964 is the best I have seen in (near) original state. Some of the build cars on here and other forums may eclipse it but then they are now 'custom' rides.

I 'think' (hope?) that the 997T will not shed too much value and will bounce back again within the time i own it so that it isn't just a plug hole for value.

I really need to drive a 997T to see *if* it is worth the gamble to change.

Nope youre not mad its just progress. I've had the full gambit of 911's but wouldn't swap my 997 for a gold pig (just yet!)

Same you as stopped huddling round your bakerlite radio and got a flat screen..... :grin:

You do need to drive one to be able to decide.

If you love the way your 964 drives I think you might find the difference too extreme. There won't be any comparison.

I can still recall the difference I noticed between my 996C4 and my 996T and the 997T is another (albeit smaller) step beyond that.

If you want something completely different you won't be disappointed - otherwise . :dont know:

I had a 964 and i would love to have it back (mostly for financial reasons) but only for a while, then I will realize again why I sold it.

They drive like a tractor, or should I say agricultural, look old inside and have that old car smell to them. Just have a look at your window rubbers, the trim pieces and carpet, its a classic car after all.

I'll get called a troll again!!

It is an acquired taste for sure. I did however like the look of it and still do, I prefered it to the 993 Turbo I had, It was a magazine feature in 911 & World.

But as for the 997 Turbo its worlds apart, just worlds in the right direction if you want a Supercar, however for investment potential and old school 911 keep the car you have.

:thumb:

Zeb said:
Nope youre not mad its just progress. I've had the full gambit of 911's but wouldn't swap my 997 for a gold pig (just yet!)

Same you as stopped huddling round your bakerlite radio and got a flat screen..... :grin:

LOL. I rather like Bakelite! and you have to admit an LP has a remarkably richer sound quality than a CD.

T8 said:
You do need to drive one to be able to decide.

If you love the way your 964 drives I think you might find the difference too extreme. There won't be any comparison.

I can still recall the difference I noticed between my 996C4 and my 996T and the 997T is another (albeit smaller) step beyond that.

If you want something completely different you won't be disappointed - otherwise . :dont know:

It may just be itchy feet... in which case i need to ride the itch so to speak.

Just buy the 997TT as a daily, off load that 1 Series ('management') rep-mobile and keep the 964 :grin:

997tt

You mean from this to this :D

Attachments

• 21233571228_7b2c99801d_h_593.jpg
    21233571228_7b2c99801d_h_593.jpg
    334.7 KB · Views: 8,896
  • fastlane7_132.jpg
    fastlane7_132.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 8,896
Zingari said:
Just buy the 997TT as a daily, off load that 1 Series ('management') rep-mobile and keep the 964 :grin:

I have done that thinking too Bri but the 1 is only just big enough for a family week away... the 997 would not be. And as my wife runs a cooper we don't have an alternative weekend car in the fold.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SBSEA
Back