Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

964 Speed sensor question if anyone could help

Astill

Hi All,

I have had an issue with my speedo not working, have replaced a faulty wiring loom to the brakes and its not fixed the issue. I am thinking now it must be a speed sensor issue as I have checked all of the fuses. I had it in my head the the speed sensors were on the front wheels of a 1990 C2 but looking on the parts websites it looks like they could be on the rear as well. If anyone knows if the rear are just ABS or speed as well it would be greatly appreciated and a massive help!

Many thanks

Paul

The 1990 cars take the speedo signal from the gearbox, the sensors on each wheel are for ABS only. If the spoiler goes up at 50mph then the signal is ok, if it goes up at 70mph then the signal is not ok and the emergency backup signal from the ABS is being used to raise the spoiler iirc.

Ras62,

how about tiptronic cars ? Sensor is on the tiptronic box ?.

Mine is 1991 c2 tip and is having ABS light and total speedo non operation odometer, speedo needle.

ABS light comes on sometimes and when off, all works fine.

If ABS wheel sensors were at fault, presumably would only be ABS light on adn speedo fine ?

Words of wisdom appreciated

Check the front left ABS sensor as this signal is also used for speed indication on the 91 and later cars. The signal from the ABS sensor is fed to R52 (via the ABS unit). R52 is a frequency control unit which in turn sends the converted signal to the speedo.

Hi Ras62 & Jilee

Just having the sensors changed to see if that cures it. Thanks for your advice its appreciated!

Paul

Thanks Ras62,

will have mechanic check and clean the front ABS sensor.

How about the triptronic box - is there any sensor there like the manual box ?.

mine is very sporadic. Even during driving, if the BAS light was on when startying, sometimes it goes off when driving and the speedo works then ABS might come on again during the same trip and speedo stops again. bit annoying so wanted to get this sorted and advise the mechanic what to check, clean etc

Astill

hope you get it sorted. labour of love these 964's ;-)

All tips use the ABS sensor no matter year built. Only the 89/90 manual models use the gearbox sender.
I would also suggest you resolder the clock, it is a problem on these cars that can effect the speedo and many other warning lights. Basically take the back off the clock and resolder the main pin connections, there are links on the net if you need more info.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Max V
Back