Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

New DVLA online service for assigning private number plates

isysman

So I got my V750 in the mail today from DVLA for my new personal plate for my Boxster. Bought it on Sunday and it arrived in three days. Very impressed.

In the envelope was info on a new service they have lunched to allow you to put number plates on your car online. Good news seeing as they did away with the local offices.

https://www.gov.uk/put-registration-number-vehicle

The online service is brilliant!!!

I bought a new daily one Friday evening.

Friday night I taxed it using the V5C/2 green slip thing.

Saturday morning, I took a plate of the my old daily, then within 2 minutes, I put it onto the new daily.

Swapped the plates over, phoned the Insurance and all good to go within 20 minutes.

I was even able to declare SORN on the old car and got a cheque for the rebate within a week.

Absolutely brilliant!!!

Very impressed with DVLA. Bought new 335d x drive M Sport last week. Took personalised plate off old 635d. Received V5 2 days later, on Saturday. Called to ask how to put this onto my 996t. Told to await form (think it was a 773 or something) and then send this off with V5 for pork and cq for £80 and all would be done.

Simple, quick.

I'm hoping to use this once I get my new Boxster. I've ordered the plates, waiting for them to arrive. At this rate that's going to hold me up longer than DVLA!

Yes it's very good. But......... :?

If you want to retain the plate you are taking off and replace it with another retained plate, be careful.

I put new plate on and this was seamless. I then wanted to retain my old plate - but it no longer existed on the system. Called DVLA and the guy said that the system can't do this at present. Had to write them a letter explain circumstances + retention form + cheque. 8 weeks later it came through ok.

Maybe the've sorted the system now or maybe not.

Mr Pub said:
Yes it's very good. But......... :?

If you want to retain the plate you are taking off and replace it with another retained plate, be careful.

I put new plate on and this was seamless. I then wanted to retain my old plate - but it no longer existed on the system. Called DVLA and the guy said that the system can't do this at present. Had to write them a letter explain circumstances + retention form + cheque. 8 weeks later it came through ok.

Maybe the've sorted the system now or maybe not.

I think if you started off with the plate you wanted retaining, then this might have worked BUT...

You would be given a new V5 for that car so you may have still had to wait a week or two for that to arrive in the post.

All sounds a bit confusing but I will give it a try:

I have car A, a Boxster, reg BOX 1.

I also have car B, a Macan, reg MAC 1.

I want to put BOX 1 onto the Macan.

So I go online and put MAC 1 on retention, this gives me the reg EA 51 PZY for the Macan and a new V5.

I need the new V5 for the 11/12 digit reference number.

When that arrives I can then put BOX 1 onto the Macan instantly and then get a new V5 for the Macan in the post in a few days with a new reg for the Boxster such as SO 51 MPL.

I think that makes sense, even I got confused and nearly gave up halfway through :pc:

Reference removing the personalised plate it says this on the page I linked to:

If your vehicle already has a personalised registration number, you need to take it off before using this service or you could lose the rights to use it.

isysman said:
If your vehicle already has a personalised registration number, you need to take it off before using this service or you could lose the rights to use it.

Exactly what I said above.... :sad: :sad: :sad:

But in a few less words :pc:

Its a great service, but beware the VOSA system takes a few days to update their system with the changes.

After buying my car I changed the plates same day using the service but then the dealer was unable to MOT in the week before I collected it because the new reg had not been available on the VOSA system. It meant an extra 150 mile round trip for me back to the dealership for the MOT a week after. :frustrated:

It is a great service as long as the car you are putting the plate on has never had a gap in it's road tax history. Tried to put one of my plates onto the SL from my daily. Removed fine in about 2 minutes, but couldn;t put on as a previous owner managed to have a 2 month gap in the tax, system can't cater for that. Still waiting for plate to go on as had to wait for new V5C and real retention document to come through. Will be a month before the plate gets on the car from start to finish!

I have the plate off my 996 Turbo on retention so I will have a go at putting it on my Boxster tomorrow.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back