Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Calling Everyone running K16 and K24 Hybrid 996 Turbo's

ok51mon

Imola
Guys,

What hybrid turbo combination are you currently running?

I'm looking to hybrid mine and want to find the best combo!

Si

Interested to hear the responses. I've been looking into k16/16g since it has had good reviews, and flows a bit more than k16/24 but I'd like to hear what people have to say.

I would go for a billet wheel , lighter giving faster spool and often a better design that the older cast Mitsi 16G /18G wheels. Would guess something around the 30 - 32 lb range would be around the max.
I think the other problem when using a K16 hotside is back pressure in the housing, unless some porting is done.

Undoubtedly a stupid question, which will highlight my ignorance....

....but what are hybrid turbos? :dont know:

They are turbos based on the originals fitted by Porsche , normally using the standard exhaust side with a larger inlet wheel , either from a larger model in the range or an aftermarket wheel machined into the original housing.

Recently fitted K16/K24 billett wheels with Turbo Smart actuators to mine.
Difficult to give comparison to standard K16 as my car had various boost leaks since purchase. It comes on boost pretty hard just after 3.4krpm and holds to the redline. Will be getting it on the dyno soon for a power run.
Supporting modifications.

K16/K24 billett c/w
Wagner intercoolers
Turbo smart recirc valves
5 bar fpr
Techart exhaust system
890nm Sachs clutch

K9ng said:
Difficult to give comparison to standard K16 as my car had various boost leaks since purchase. It comes on boost pretty hard just after 3.4krpm and holds to the redline. Will be getting it on the dyno soon for a power run.

K16/K24 billett c/w
Wagner intercoolers
5 bar fpr
Techart exhaust system
890nm Sachs clutch

Power?

K9ng said:

K16/K24 billett c/w
Wagner intercoolers
5 bar fpr
Techart exhaust system
890nm Sachs clutch

It's not been don the dyno yet!

Sounds great, is this about extra power to less lag - or both

Where do you get this done and what sort of cost??

The point of having a billet wheel is that it is made to a certain spec. Using the Mitsubishi wheels is very old technology. The newer billet wheels can outflow the Mitsubishi wheels and the stock K24s.

The beauty of using the k16 is that it spools quickly, combined with a good wheel and it is more than enough for most.

I got mine direct from a turbo builder. You have to be careful which wheels you buy and look into the flow characteristics. Mine are most efficient flowing about 1.35bar which is handy as I don't want to run crazy boost on stock internals. If you buy a wheel which only comes alive at 2 bar then you are wasting your money and time because the stick engine won't last long running that level of boost.

If I wanted to run higher boost I could but it would generate more heat as its out of the efficiency envelope of the turbo. This would then retard timing significantly.

When changing turbos you really must change intercoolers. The stock turbo coolers are $hite and will result in pulled timing very early on. As Ken (9e) has proved the GT2RS coolers are awesome for the money. Plus you can buy the generic ones for about 60% of the price! :wink:

If buying bigger blowers though you will want to increase injector size, otherwise you will be limited to about 580bhp with a 5bar fpr. I did this before going for massive injectors. This has made all the difference.

ragpicker said:
As Ken (9e) has proved the GT2RS coolers are awesome for the money. Plus you can buy the generic ones for about 60% of the price! :wink:

More hints please..........? :?: :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jons123
Back