Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996 c2 Engine Mounts

Cgit

Having recently bought my 2003 996 I have been going through the car to get everything up to scratch. At the risk of asking a stupid question...how much free play would be acceptable in the engine mounts?

When up on the ramp I can push my engine up and see about a quarter of an inch play in the mount before any resistance is felt. Obviously there has to be some "give" but this seems excessive to me especially considering the amount of torque produced.

So...to much play?

If they are to be replaced should I remain standard or go aftermarket semi-solid?

Thanks in advance.

I think a lot of people go for the C4 engine mounts when replacing them on the C2 ........ :?:

Cgit said:
Having recently bought my 2003 996 I have been going through the car to get everything up to scratch. At the risk of asking a stupid question...how much free play would be acceptable in the engine mounts?

When up on the ramp I can push my engine up and see about a quarter of an inch play in the mount before any resistance is felt. Obviously there has to be some "give" but this seems excessive to me especially considering the amount of torque produced.

So...to much play?

If they are to be replaced should I remain standard or go aftermarket semi-solid?

Thanks in advance.

Think that you should ask this question on the 996 section, a lot of us would have no idea about the 996 :dont know: :?

Moved to 996 section!

If they have sagged the engine will move around a lot more and you may feel the engine pushing you under braking, changing the mounts for new will make everything feel better and handling should also be improved.

Some have gone for the uprated (Wevo type) mounts but I kept mine standard when changing as I got a really good deal on them but also I didn't want to create a problem.

If they have sagged you may need to adjust the exhaust tips back again as the engine will lift bringing the exhaust with it and you may need new clamps if your have rusted solid.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DD77
Back