Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Are these Dansk silencers?

Benji1975

Monza
The silencers on my 2003 3.6 PSE system are both split on the seams. I've spoken to H&S to see if they can be refurbished but they said not possible...

I'm a bit in two minds here as the car is (sadly) most likely for sale due to moving abroad and no option to take car with us. Whilst I won't bodge it with gun gum I'm also not going to spend £4800 for a replacement set of genuine PSE silencers! For selling, not sure whether to replace with standard sound mufflers or ones that sound like the PSE in it's open mode.

These ones below popped up and the link to the sound file says Dansk so are these Dansk. Anyone know cheapest place in Europe currently to source them?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Porsche-9...3-4-L-3-6-L-/252083909434?hash=item3ab15f333a

The other option could be the 'top gear' ones on ebay which I have read a couple of reports as being good quality. Any further opinions? Be a shame to lose the PSE function but for the sake of losing a few hundred quid at sale it's hardly economical to spend thousands on a switchable system for the next owner...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Porsche-9...nce-Upgrade-/201431285198?hash=item2ee63d7dce

regards
Ben

I had this quandary - but figured that, even though I'm planning on keeping the car (sadly unlike you), I just could not justify the cost of an "original" replacement set.

I've had the Dansk super sound ones fitted and couldn't be happier - my guy managed to source them and charged me £549 for the pair (ex fitting)

In your position I'd definately settle for the Dansk.

Im in the same boat, seals have gone beyond repair and quoted £3800 for a new pair of boxes, but to be honest the main thing i love about the car is the sound, i don't think i would be happy if it didn't sound the same even though i would have a few quid in my pocket still.........hard call mind

If you're unsure - ping the seller a message. Safest way because if you do buy them and they're not, you have some come back with eBay if it's documented in their message system.

How about some standard silencers with the 'gundo hack'... or even a standard exhaust with the hack combined with the switching mechanism off your exhaust?

Or if you are defo selling, run with standard silencers and let the new buyer decide what to do. As you say, no sense in spending loads.

Blimey £4800 for a PSE?? I remember paying £1500ish for a whole switchable PSE retrofit 6 yrs ago... how do they sleep at night.

Ta for the advice gents.

To be fair, even if I was keeping, I wouldn't spend the extra on a switchable system. I only turn it off very very occasionally and would be more than happy with the 'open' sound. Something like Dansk super sound appear to be similar to the PSE open so that would be my choice I guess (or the top gear ones).

When selling though, tricky, for a tiptronic conv...are more people going to want a standard system with option to gundo hack it or would more people appreciate the fitment of a sports exhaust...hmm.

Good idea Alex, I'll ping the seller.

Ta

Me - sports exhaust. The Gundo hack (nothing against it, I think it's great) would put folk off buying it IMO, due to it being a bodge mod.

Since you are selling it just get the seams welded up by a half decent welder. Should last a good few years.

Or look out for good used boxes and have the PSE valves transferred by the same welder.

I would rather buy a car with a working PSE than aftermarket boxes - removing the PSE removes a desirable selling point.

The JP Group name and emblem is what my Dansk silencers came wrapped in, so they look the part to me.

By comparison those aftermarket ones look like they are made from empty baked bean tins. I wouldn't go anywhere near them as there is quite a cost to add for fitting them, wouldn't want to pay that twice if the cheap ones fall to bits after a couple of winters.

alex yates said:
Me - sports exhaust. The Gundo hack (nothing against it, I think it's great) would put folk off buying it IMO, due to it being a bodge mod.
There's no way a PSE car sells for £4k more than a non-PSE car.

My advice would be to leave it and sell as is so potential buyers can do what they want to do. They may not even notice the boxes are split... and even if they did, it's a very common issue which they should be prepared for.

whoareya said:
The JP Group name and emblem is what my Dansk silencers came wrapped in, so they look the part to me.

By comparison those aftermarket ones look like they are made from empty baked bean tins. I wouldn't go anywhere near them as there is quite a cost to add for fitting them, wouldn't want to pay that twice if the cheap ones fall to bits after a couple of winters.

Sorry, I just read that you are moving it on, so ignore what Ive said and go for the bean tins.

I can get the dansk systems if your interested in one
They are circa £600,

I'm about to get my silencers replaced. How much should we budget for fitting?

Not sure, as I had the tip box filter and oil changed at same time - that all came in at just over £1k - sorry I can't be more help :dont know:

jinjaninja said:
I'm about to get my silencers replaced. How much should we budget for fitting?

Depends how stuck all the bolts are!

Mine I just ground off the pipe clamp bolts and luckily the mounting bolts came undo easily, I had the old off in 30 min.

If your mounting bolts are stuck (they often are) then its a faff.

Don;t forget to buy a new fitting kit with new bolts and clamps - you used to be able to get a dansk kit from ECP for about £30

Latest posts

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Camarocane
Back