Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Looking at 996 Numbers/IMS Fail rate etc

segart

Nurburgring
Just a thought and Alex I am sure will will set me straight on this :)
Looking at the admittedly quite old 'Which 996' thread, there have been 1152 votes cast, since I think 2012.

On the 'IMS Data' thread, we (Alex) has had 86 responses, with I believe if I am reading the charts correctly, 7 fails. This is a 9% approx failure rate, based on the responses.

Would it not however be reasonable to assume that if 9% of the 'Which 996' responders had experienced an IMS fail (that would be 103 failures) more of those people might have reported the fail on the 'IMS Data' thread.

In other words, the actual failure rate may be a tiny fraction of the indicated 9%?

Rick

The generally accepted failure rate is 5% based on the internet so it must be true.

The question now is, now that the dodgy IMSs have failed, will the failure rate drop on the basis that those that were going to go would have likely done so by now?

We've not seen any reported failures happen since July 2014 on the data I've collected. Of all the failures reported, they ALL happened within 11 years of registration and under 72k miles.

Nobody has reported a failure due to high mileage wear, although some experts believe it is a wear item and at some point will need replacing.

I've also been following some other websites for failures. Apart from a boxster on PH in February which I suspect wasn't the IMS bearing but something else linked to the shaft as both ends were bust and so was the oil pump, there's been nothing.

So if your 996 is over 72k miles and over 11 years old - forget about it :grin: :wack: :lol:

on another note - I've seen a couple of threads this year reporting of Upgraded IMS bearings failing :nooo:

Edit: There's only been 6 original bearings failed. The 7th one was an LN ceramic bearing so shouldn't be included in the data.

Also - there's a big difference between 3.4 failures and 3.6 failures according to PORSCHE's own figures.

Think it was something like 10 times more likely with the 3.6.

IMHO, half of it was down to bi-yearly oil changes :nooo:

I hope you're right Alex now that my April 2004 C4S has hit just over 11 years old and clicked onto 74k this week..... :eek:

serviced last week and Indy view was not worth fretting about (which I generally don't and just drive her), not a drop of oil used or any dodgy sounds so also 'ignoring' the bore score paranoia aswell :thumbs:

alex yates said:
Also - there's a big difference between 3.4 failures and 3.6 failures according to PORSCHE's own figures.

Think it was something like 10 times more likely with the 3.6.

IMHO, half of it was down to bi-yearly oil changes :nooo:

Out of curiosity - Why would bi-yearly oil changes have an effect?

I read bi-yearly as twice a year, I now think you probably meant every two years?

Overtime, the oil degrades and gets contaminated with unburned petrol and water and develop acids to the point this causes the oil to break down. Also, these acids can cause havoc with metal erosion. These acids will eat away at your IMS bearing if the dust shields become compromised (which they do).

The snag is Alex my '03 C4s is 12 years old, which is good, but has only covered 46k miles, which is bad.

It has had an annual oil change all its life, and the IMS bearing was checked at £22k miles when the clutch was changed by a PO at a Porsche Indy. Presumably it seemed ok!

Still I am encouraged by what you say. I do just drive it and enjoy it (lots) but am always looking for a bit of reassurance!
Rick

Remember your oil changes, forget about your IMS bearing.

Average failure mileage from the data I collected is 47,705 miles.

You need a European roadtrip very, very soon to put you in the clear :lol:

Sheez I wish you hadn't mentioned that mileage! :?

segart said:
The snag is Alex my '03 C4s is 12 years old, which is good, but has only covered 46k miles, which is bad.

It has had an annual oil change all its life, and the IMS bearing was checked at £22k miles when the clutch was changed by a PO at a Porsche Indy. Presumably it seemed ok!

Still I am encouraged by what you say. I do just drive it and enjoy it (lots) but am always looking for a bit of reassurance!
Rick

Hi segart, New clutch at 22k miles? is that a common situation? I ask because I suspect mine is starting to play up (burning smell occasionally and feels a bit "dead" sometimes) Has done 40k.

Clutches all depend on drivers. Some get 10k miles and some 100k miles (in any car).

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lb456
Back