Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Very tempted, quick question.

jpsh120

Sao Paulo
Hi all,

I've found a car that I am very interested in. Immaculate condition and good options including;

PSE
Sports chrono plus
Sports seats
Park assist

But no PCM or Satnav.

Having read a few old threads I'm guessing that isn't a big deal because the system is a bit antiquated but interested to hear people's thoughts...

Thanks

If the car is a peach, then assuming there is still the screen which gives the Sport Chrono and set up data, then I'd personally not worry about it as the PSE etc would be a bigger deal for me. It may weigh against it come resale time if that bothers you.

FWIW I've just disconnected the aftermarket nav in my car as I simply never used it and the aerial on the dash was annoying me. If I do by any chance get lost then I always have my phone, or a map.

I wouldn't worry about the not having PCM or Sat Nav. As you mention it is old and out of date. I never use mine. I use my TOMTOM instead.

Robertb said:
If I do by any chance get lost then I always have my phone, or a map.

a map...what's one of those :? :dont know: :?:

:sad:

The sat nav is antiquated but is a useful 'get you on the right road' standby. I also use the map function on occasion to give me an idea which way a road goes, a bit like a silent co - driver. However my modern standalone Garmin is a much better device.

Yup its rubbish (assuming you mean PCM2.1)

I put a tomtom in whenever I'm going somewhere new. My tomtom was bought 2008 and is light years better than my 2007 PCM2.1

That said, even that's becoming redundant as a phone GPS is probably all you need (safely mounted with a cheap £8 vent bracket or screen suction cup).

So wouldn't fret over not having factory sat nav

If you absolutely have to have in car satnav I believe there are some nice pioneer kits that slot in nicely for about £800 fitted.

J

Thanks guys, I didn't think it was a major issue. I only really ever use the satnav in my BMW to find a way round delays by looking at the map.

I've put a deposit on the car, hope to view next weekend and bring it home (fingers crossed)

I only ever use my Samsung galaxy which uses google maps and navigation. Nothing gets near google nav for ability to know which way is fastest and take you off piste when it knows best. Learnt to trust it very quickly. PCM is useless.

Just get a decent phone if you don't have one, and as someone said, a screen mount suction bracket off ebay for about £3!

I thought the PCM unit was standard in the 997 and the Satnav was the option? Or maybe it was standard in the 997 3.8S.

Regardless I wouldn't worry if it's missing. Not the best, pretty dated.

if its priced right and you like all else then I'd get a tom tom and forget about pcm and nav.
TBH, I wish the Porsche navs were tom tom as standard, quick redirects, speed traps and all that.
I miss my tom tom

Just another thought, would it be possible to swap out the head unit for the touchscreen nav fitted to gen 2 997's?

It's possible and there are some threads on here describing it.

I gather though its not so straightforward and a fairly 'expert' level DIY job. Some bits are incompatible.

J

jpsh120 said:
Just another thought, would it be possible to swap out the head unit for the touchscreen nav fitted to gen 2 997's?

It's possible, I've done that very thing. It's quite involved and will cost you about £1500. It involves rewiring your system, you also need to replace the amp and rewire it. Then you would need to have the AC controller and PSM unit painted to match the black PCM or fit the gen.2 units. This involves more rewiring. Also those of us who have done this conversion have yet to find a solution for the AC controller to successfully activate the AC compressor. You also need to get codes to activate the Satnav, Bluetooth, iPod functions etc. You can't get them from Porsche, but we have a contact that supplies them and they do work.

If you look on my project thread around page 10 you can read about it.

Before and after photos...

L1030233_zpsqonk00ck.jpg

L1030300_zps2wwvxmuk.jpg

OK thanks for that.

I presume fitting a replacement gen 1 unit with satnav would be more straightforward?

jpsh120 said:
OK thanks for that.

I presume fitting a replacement gen 1 unit with satnav would be more straightforward?

Well it would, but you'd still need to get a code to activate the Satnav. And you'd need to fit a GPS antenna and run the cable into the front boot. Does the car have the disc changer in the front boot?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GT3161
Back