Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Review of 996.2 C2

EGTE

Sao Paulo
Hi Guys,
With apologies to admins if linking to other sights is verboten, but I just thought you might be interested in this review of my 996.2 C2 on Pistonheads.

Cmoose is the handle of an independent motoring journalist, who really knows his car stuff and writes in a style most guys appreciate. After reading some of his other write-ups I approached him to get him to compare the "lowly" C2 to some of the (insanely) expensive Porsches out there. The results are pretty interesting, I hope you agree.

Link here: http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=48&t=1544997&nmt=

Hopefully this will open many more people's eyes to the fact that the 996 is just as good as any other model (something we already knew, right?) and be of interest to you guys.

Cheers,

Great review, thanks for the link. Odd how a quality article like that is hidden in the forums, vs the dross they publish on the main site.

Lovely car too, clearly much cherished. Interesting observations in there about the car's qualities being hidden and not obvious, to me that is one of the appeals- too many cars these days have it all on show with no hidden depth which somehow gets a bit wearing.

Is it true you used to fly Tornados? 8)

Excellent read, Thank you for sharing.

And what a lovely car, obviously really well looked after. I wish I could keep my one that spotless

Robertb said:
Is it true you used to fly Tornados? 8)

...and have named yourself after Exeter airport!

Good read, thanks for posting.

Great read, very interesting.

Think I'll have to join PH to keep an eye out for his (possible) C4S review!

Hmm. What this review really highlights for me is the peculiar phenomenon that literally hundreds of thousands of words have been written, and hundreds of innacurate preconceptions reinforced over the years by numerous posters and 'independent motoring journalists' about these cars by people who haven't even driven them. 996.1's have been around for 17years. The car in the review is 13! That's an extraordinary amount of time to pass for someone who virtually lives on PH and who constantly doles out opinions on 996's in particular to have not actually tried what was a core model. Anyway, if it's further evidence that after all this time people are beginning to realize what was evident to many all along, it's probably a good thing. I'm reminded of a journo (i think Tipler was his name) who slated the 996 a while back and somehow had a big issue with the door closing sound (er, hello, it has no window frame!) and lo and behold has now bought one and is raving about it.

4b4 said:

That will be my C4s that I'm picking up on Saturday. :D :D :D

When the 996 was released, every review was a rave review - try and find a bad contemporary review.

In the following years in various forms it was Evo car of the year for many years.

In fact Evo rated the 996 above all prior 911, and above even the 997 when that was released.

This reviewer is spot on. Especially re: the early 3.4 - its a bona-fida classic 911 - a unique set of attributes that will one day make it very desirable.

The unadorned, almost delicate compound curves of the exterior with headlights as Pinky intended.
The form follows function interior (no soft touch plastic or chintz trim, real clicky switchgear)
All day comfort, reliability and mod cons.
Connected feel through analog hydraulic steering, cable throttle and no PSM on early cars.
The M96 is an amazing engine, folklore aside probably the best NA engine of its time.

Folklore aside, why anyone would choose a 997 over a 996 as a "classic" keeper is a little beyond me.

Totlly fantastic write up and a lovely looking example :thumbs:

budflicker said:
4b4 said:

That will be my C4s that I'm picking up on Saturday. :D :D :D

Look forward to the review then!

Good choice of car BTW :thumb:

Glad you enjoyed it, Gents :thumb:

Niall, great point, Disproving all that nonsense was my main motivation. :thumbs:

Cheers.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
briant1000
Back