Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

993 - Tyre Recommendations

tp81

Suzuka
Is anyone able to offer advice on the best all round tyres for RS speedline (18") wheels?

Doing a quick search I found a thread saying to stay away from Pirelli tyres for the car, the most obvious choice so far seems to be Michelin Pilot Sport 2.

I would be very appreciative of any strong views on this.

On my third set of PS2s, the rears wear about 50% faster than the fronts.
Grip is good wet and dry. never tried anything else on 18" use Vredestein on 17" in winter but they will be on the 944 this year as the 993 will not be going out with salt on the road.

Attachments

• tastes_like_butter_185.jpg
    tastes_like_butter_185.jpg
    138 KB · Views: 8,978
I have Michelin PS2s on my C2 (running 18" hollow spokes) and they have been excellent as regards handling, ride and wear so far. I only bought the car in May so no winter experience of them yet though.

Can't fault my PS2s (on 18" Sport Classic 2s) - they even got me across the Brenner Pass this May when caught out by late snow!

I do love pics of 993s in the snow! :thumb:

PS2's here as well Tom.

My car was fitted with 18" hollows and I use Pilot super sports at the front they are Softer and offer fantastic turn in and front end grip, then at the rear standard PS2's at the back as they offer the best compromise between wear and grip.

The rears are worked harder on your and my car so warm up nicely and end up balancing out with the stickier fronts really well.

So soft fronts and slightly harder rear.

Then get stuck in....

Without doubt, IMO S02s.
They are fab tyres and the side wall is strong but not too strong. I've had issues getting the fronts this time round so ended up back with S02As and though very good and they last twice as long, they are a little to stiff on the sidewalls IMO.

The SO2 will always be the tyre of choice for me. Probs is that the rears only last around 6K road miles.

Mich PS'2's IMHO.

Best tyre I've run on my 993 by a long stretch. PZeros are pretty good in the dry, but the nice soft sidewall in the PS2's seems to suit the 993's ride really well.

you can buy MPSS (no N marking but correct load ratings) in correct sizes for both front and rear axles from Tirerack in US ...big step up from PS2 by all accounts ...$/£ is good, but shipping and import duty adds cost

cheers, Will

New tyres fitted, Michelin Pilot Sport 2. 225/40 R18 front and 285/30/ R18 Rear.

The existing tyres were like new when they came off Toyo tyres. It might seem mad but I prefer to know the tyres are good and stick with the recommended type. I only noticed when they were being changed, the rears were 265/35 which when you looked at them were struggling to fit the wheel. Much better with the 285/ 30, fills the wheel and the arch slightly better.

Old

New :thumb:

I'm running 265/35 on the rear but still needed the arches rolling as the tyre was just catching on one side. Ride height is within RS spec. Does the RS already have the arches rolled?
Wheels are the genuine RS Speedlines.
Running a bit more negative camber but no wear problems.
Originally set up by CoG and reset by 9m (it's a lot nearer) after I had to change a rear control arm.

Attachments

• 9m_settings_result_213.jpg
    9m_settings_result_213.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 8,502
Endoman, not sure there looks to be plenty of clearance even with the extra width on the tyres. I will try and compress the car and stick a straight edge up to check the gap. Don't fancy flying through a heavy compression dip and having the tyres rubbing the body.

I have tried 265 and 285 on the back of an RS.
No body contact from either, I do prefer the 265 as it feels better from a grip/balance point of view.

See how you get on with them, might make the car a tad more under-steery as you push harder.

With the sizes you have I would try front 32 and rear 37 pressures to start with on the road.

I've been so impressed with Michelin tyres recently (on other cars) that they will be what I go for when I swap boots next year. Interestingly our 981 came with P zeros and they are pretty damn good too.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
barrywhite
Back