Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

If you had £15000?

cbr6dc

Montreal
Hi, I'm a newbie looking at buying a Porsche because I wouldn't do many miles, I have a garage and I have some disposable money that when I come to sell the car it is still worth something. I.e. my Ford Focus cosy nearly £3k but would be worth £500 now....

What would you buy?

I'm all set for a 996 Carrera 2S. But just seen the 3.4 Cayman. Are these any good? Or does the 911 still rule all?

I figure 2 wheel drive = less things to go wrong = cheaper e.g. gearbox etc.

GT3 kit or not though?

Convertible or not?

What about 100,000 mile cars? What are their weak points? Normally it's a cambelt replacement and pads/discs.

Also the BIGGY for me - SPEEDHUMPS! There are bloody loads of these on every road to get off my estate! How do the 996's cope?

Would I ever stand a chance of a GT3 kit and a speed hump? Particularly the ones that are raised to nearly the height of the kerb!

Has anyone successfully claimed against a school or against the council for these things causing damage to your car?

Lot of questions I know but writing this as I think about it.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can take the time to answer.

Some answers:

No such thing as a 2S, only 4S.

No difference in maintenance between Carrera 2 and Carrera 4.

No cambelts - all chains.

No problem with speed humps (so long as you don't hit them at speed).

Thanks Alex - so only a 4S has the lowered suspension and the sports exhausts?

I thought there was a 3.4 - 3.6S on the 996? And a 3.6 - 3.8S on the 997?

I understand the maintenance costs are the same but as someone who is mechanically sympathetic surely the C4/C4S would have a higher stress rate? Are the gearboxes reliable enough? :)

IMO the AWD system is no big thing and nothing to worry about, it's onlt a bit of an 'add-on' to the rwd system.

The 996 came in a MKI form with a 3.4 engine in both rwd and awd format.

Then along came the MKII that came with a 3.6 engine. This also came in both rwd and awd. But there was also the C4S that was a awd version but with the wider rear end and bigger front bumper Turbo body and also Turbo running gear (suspension & brakes) but not Turbo engine or gearbox.

MKI

928a-car-porsche-911-1.jpg

MKII

porsche-996-3-6-carrera.jpg

C4S

porsche-porsche-996-c4s.jpg

Turbo

porsche-porsche-996-turbo.jpg

You've no chance of getting a Turbo for £15k and will ber very lucky if you can bag a C4S for £15k

The early 3.4 is less troublesome than the 3.6 (but not the Turbo 3.6 as that's a totally different engine).

cbr6dc said:
Also - I see 2S for sale. Even on this forum? Are you sure?

That's a 997, not a 996.

997 has
C2s and C4S - both 3.8 engines.

Thank you for that - explains it perfectly and seeing them alongside each other I can spot the differences straight away!

Thanks for explaining the 2/4/4S thing too - I'd been looking at eBay and Pistonheads and I think that's why I got confused.

You've just cost me another £5k....

C4S it is then... ;)

:thumbs:

C4S is the one to get (if you can't push to the Turbo).

A C4S will be a better bet in terms of holding it's value if you can stretch to it. There's plenty out there, and the spec levels are high in standard trim. Don't worry too much about mileage, there's a lot of opinions suggesting one with more miles may be a better bet as these cars like being used. Buy on condition and maintenance, and leave yourself a couple of grand in a fettling fund to handle any major bills. Budget £2k pa to keep it tip top, and you'll have a non depreciating, amazing sports car. :thumb:

What about the Cayman though? I'd never even considered this.

Obviously it's not the same performance but it's something different.

Can you get the C4S with the turbo spoiler? i.e. a genuine turbo look?

I've seen the GT3 kit and very nice it looks however I still want to be able to drive over speed humps and leave my estate so that's a no-no! lol

cbr6dc said:
What about the Cayman though? I'd never even considered this.

Obviously it's not the same performance but it's something different.

Can you get the C4S with the turbo spoiler? i.e. a genuine turbo look?

I've seen the GT3 kit and very nice it looks however I still want to be able to drive over speed humps and leave my estate so that's a no-no! lol

I doubt you'd notice much difference in performance point to point, really, between a Cayman S and a 4S. Cayman is only 2 seats though, if that makes a difference.

You can get the 4S with the turbo spoiler. Probably better to buy a standard car and the spoiler afterwards so as not to limit your options.

Which ever option you decide make sure you have a Pre-Purchase Inspection (PPI) carried out by someone with Porsche knowledge.

This can help prevent you being bitten for ££££s and can help negotiate the price.

Good luck with your search :)

Cant beat a 996 4S for the money they are. Turbos have jumped-up about £10k in the last 12 months.

Chris

I bought a relatively high mileage 4S, love it and certainly would not discourage someone from going down the same route... however, no doubt that you could get a better narrow-bodied 2 or 4 for the same outlay.

Thanks all. I will definitely get it checked over by a Porsche dealer first.

I will be on a bit of a budget but I'm very mechanically sympathetic and used to race motorbikes so I can relate to the importance of bearings and oil and the like as I never had a mechanical failure in 6yrs of racing! And I won championships twice. ;)

I'll be budgeting on £1000 a year for servicing then keeping £1000 to one side for tyres etc. It's just these IMS bearings I'm wary about. There are no belts which is good but how long do the chains last?

When you get these cleaned how do people do it? Take it to a Porsche dealer for a valet or your local topless car wash up town for example(not topless but the level of care to cleaning the car is about the same lol)?

Most here would probably wash their cars themselves rather than the car wash guys at the garage/supermarket. Never had the opportunity to visit a topless car wash, but in videos I've watched they dont do a proper job of the inside of the wheels :dont know:

£2k p.a is about right.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LB_85
Back