Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Somebody help me with this drop link before go crazy!!

benfinlayson

Why is it that the simplest of jobs always take the longest!!

Trying to replace the front N/S drop link on my 996 and I cannot get the old one out!! Bottom and top nuts undid easily, great I thought, no need to cut anything off - it would appear it was just teasing me as I cannot get the top bolt out of the strut, it just will not come!

I have tried heat, a 4lb hammer (albeit not much room to swing). I have even cut the drop link ball joint off so that I can put a socket on that end and I can turn the blt (it is stiff though and needs a long wrench), bit even though I have broken the corrosion by turning it, bashing the other end wont move it out a mm!

Am i doing something wrong? It cant be threaded in to the strut otherwise I would be able to wind it out. I really dont want to have to take the whole strut out to get this stupid bolt out!

Any ideas??

Never had problems getting one off but sounds like you could try a little puller like the factors sell for removing windscreen wiper arms !!!!

Tap with a hammer at about a 45 degree angle and it will pop out with not much force required. If you are hammering the bolt longitudinally it will never undo. Alternatively the wedge shaped tuning forks work well or what JD recommends.

JohnnyDangerous said:
Never had problems getting one off but sounds like you could try a little puller like the factors sell for removing windscreen wiper arms !!!!

do i need to jack up the lower arm to take the weight off the strut at all to take it out? or can you just let the strut hang after taking the wheel off (which is what I am doing).

benfinlayson said:
JohnnyDangerous said:

do i need to jack up the lower arm to take the weight off the strut at all to take it out? or can you just let the strut hang after taking the wheel off (which is what I am doing).

I have tried the tuning fork method but there is nothing for it really to get behind. I will give the 45 degree angle a try, to date I have been hammering it straight in the direction of removal.

When I started to turn it and then hammered it then turned some more etc I have had white dust coming out of the hole which I am assuing is the corrosion that is holding the damn thing so well in place, I could really do with an assistant to turn it while I hammer it!

Replaced both of mine on the 997, NS was a doddle, OS was the same as yours a small amount of corrosion is all it takes to hold the thing solid.
Lots of penetrating oil and perseverance shifted it eventually, new ones lubricated before fitting to aid removal if required, stick in :bye:

996 droplinks are a piece of p155 compared to a Mk5 Golf GTI. :wall:

ultegra said:

Thanks for that info, I have both cars, 4S and a mk5 GTI, and may refrain from changing them myself on either :thumbs: :D

Paul :thumb:

You need to have both front hubs in the same state (hanging down in your case i guess) to avoid torsional stress in the ARB

He's already cut the ball joint off so no need to have both hubs at the same height to take the stress of the ARB!

benfinlayson said:
I have even cut the drop link ball joint off so that I can put a socket on that end and I can turn the blt (it is stiff though and needs a long wrench), bit even though I have broken the corrosion by turning it, bashing the other end wont move it out a mm!

Any ideas??

ultegra said:

...unless they are 996 GT3/GT2 front DL's!

Thanks all for our help. Managed to get it out tonight by putting a socket over the end where I cut the ball joint off and using my air wrench to turn it while hammering it from the other side. It soon gave up and as soon as I got it moving it came out pretty easy.

New one in and the car is no longer on the jack!!

Result,did you lube the new ones :?:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WilmslowSi
Back