Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

uprated transmission inserts install

ChrisT70

Albert Park
So i booked a ramp today and had a few jobs on under the car. I fitted the uprated poly inserts to the original gearbox mount which replace the old thick rubber "washers" which sit either side of the oe mount.
I also drained the gearbox oil which hadn't been changed by the look of it for a while, and changed the leaking selector shaft seal which was actually very easy with the other bits out of the way while doing the inserts.
Some photobucket pics below but they don't show the entire job, however there is a write up pdf on the american website for the inserts.

In summary its not too bad if you have ramps. I wouldn't have been able to do it off a jack myself with axle stands. The inserts were 130 dollars or whatever and so far I've noticed its made the drive smoother for definite. Non of the harshness you sometimes get with hard throttle on/offs. I think I'd benefit from new engine mounts also but otherwise its worth doing if you are under there for other jobs. That bit alone took about 2 hrs start to finish. Car has done 73k.

Gearbox oil was 36 quid and the seal was 17 quid from porsche. Ramp time cost me 50 quid so overall its been a good saving over garage rates and i have job satisfaction lol.

I ran out of time to flush the clutch but I'll get that done at the service now with a fluid change of the brakes.

In the pics the black stuff on the mounts and brackets is waxoyl. You can see the oe rubber washers which were removed and the harder yellow inserts. If your original bush is torn or ripped it wouldn't help. You do have to drop the transmission on a jack stand by a few inches to get the bolt out but otherwise fairly straightforward
Hope this helps someone interested in the inserts.

You do need to remove the carrier supporting the box hence needing a transmission support stand under the car and i also had to remove the alloy brace that supports the exhausts with 4 bolts to allow the box to drop lower to get the full length bolt out from the gearbox mount.
If your o.e mount is perished or split it would be easier i bet to drop the box but it might be feasible in situ other than pressing in a new one.
Overall it was worth it as i needed to do the selector seal and change the g box oil while in there.

Excellent post Chris. :thumb:
Good info and useful photos.
I make you right about the lift, otherwise it's a lot of struggling around on your back.

the weeping selector shaft seal that was blighting my lovely garage floor is no more, which i'm pleased about. very easy once the car is above you and the covers removed/box oil drained.
i'm happy also that the g box oil is now changed, as it looked original and no oil is great for 18yrs and 73k, maybe someone changed it at some point but its not specifically listed in the history file.

the inserts are ok, nothing special, but i now know that they are actually supporting the oe bush by being inserted into it, as opposed to the original rubber washers which sit outside it and rely on the bush integrity. somewhere along the line people are going to have to change those bushes as cars age, and i think mine will last a lot longer now with these bits fitted.

next plan is a full service at a good indy, full suspension at COG and then the MOT. hopefully that is the last of my to-do list then from buying the car, touch wood not aware now of any other work needed.

Verdict after driving it all day today- yes its made a difference. Not massively but i can tell they are in there. Worth doing i think if you are having jobs done or can tackle it. Main thing is less shunting of the car/transmission if you are giving it the beams with quick firm upshifts etc.

Quote of the week?

"If your original bush is torn or ripped it wouldn't help"

:floor:

Latest posts

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mchass
Back