Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Turbo boost

Bikeracer1098

Suzuka
Took my gen 2 997 turbo for a 2 hour drive today and decided to monitor the boost gauge for the first time.
In normal mode or sports mode with the over boost arrow illuminated accelerating flat out in various gears max boost was only up to 0.6 bar.
In over boost mode I was expecting to see 1.2 bar, but didn't happen.

Is this normal or am I loosing boost somewhere?

i am only a 996 but it does look like you need a boost leak test, i would expect a bare bones minimum of .9 up to 1 bar ???

Test in third gear at 40 mph, floor it and look to see what you get.
Goodluck

I had the same thing happen a couple of months ago. It was a failed boost control module, the electronic box of tricks that controls the variable vanes. (1 per Turbo)
It was about £500 I seem to remember

Had this on my Gen 2 - it will defo be one of the turbo control actuators, either sticking or not moving at all.

You can lube the rods/mechanism yourself to try and free them.

I had one replaced under warranty on the NSR which was classed as bank 1-3

Thanks guys, dud you get any error messages etc?

Spoke to one of the OPC technicians today who said it didn't sound right and I should bring the car in fur inspection when convenient.

Fortunately I've got extended warranty on the car

My turbos started acting weird a couple of weeks ago

Sometimes no boost then only getting to .2

Actuator rods were found to be sticking and just needed lubricating.

Not being the most technical I obviously got someone who knew what they were doing to do it:

Hours labour - sorted :thumbs:

Mr Pub said:
My turbos started acting weird a couple of weeks ago

Sometimes no boost then only getting to .2

Actuator rods were found to be sticking and just needed lubricating.

Not being the most technical I obviously got someone who knew what they were doing to do it:

Hours labour - sorted :thumbs:

Thanks

Porsche did a recall to address this issue (W902)

http://www.awe-tuning.com/media/pdf/W902service action.pdf

I had the same issue. I hadn't used the car for quite a few weeks, which can't have helped the actuators.

Got the car booked in to Porsche OPC to check it over, it will either be a quick lube of the actuator rod joints or a larger warranty job.

Unfortunately the are booked up fir the next two weeks or so!!

What is the ideal pressure? (997.1) I just had a quick play and found 0.9 to 1 bar regardless of whether sport mode was active or not....

Am I activating it correctly? Pressing the button illuminates it and displays "PASM sport" on the display. Do I need to do anything else other than press the fun pedal all the way?

Master_Betty said:
What is the ideal pressure? (997.1) I just had a quick play and found 0.9 to 1 bar regardless of whether sport mode was active or not....

Am I activating it correctly? Pressing the button illuminates it and displays "PASM sport" on the display. Do I need to do anything else other than press the fun pedal all the way?

In sports mode you also need to floor the accelerator pedal which should activate overboost for around 10secs This should illuminate an upwards arrow on the boost display and increase boost to 1.2 bar

Bikeracer1098 said:
Master_Betty said:

In sports mode you also need to floor the accelerator pedal which should activate overboost for around 10secs This should illuminate an upwards arrow on the boost display and increase boost to 1.2 bar

The 0.9/1.0 bar I was getting was at full throttle. Or does it need an aggressive/quick shove to the floor? Didn't notice an arrow anywhere so would seem I didn't activate it.

And here was me thinking the car was brutally fast as it was! I need to find my extra 50lb/ft!!.....

Thanks. Wasn't aware of all the other variables that effect over boost activation. Also was using the digital gauge, not sure if that display shows the arrow or only only on bar graph.

Will have another try. Let's face it, it's one of the more fun things to figure out! :D

Master_Betty said:

I'm seeing the same on mine (997.2), Sport mode activated, fun pedal floored at around 50mph in 3rd. 0.9 to 1 bar. Should I being seeing 1.2 for around 10 seconds? I do see the over boost symbol appear when floored.

Did you manage to find out any more?

Latest posts

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mchass
Back