Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Damaged locking nut!

sanj71

Silverstone
I have a set of MY02s fitted to my 993 and I managed to some how damage the locking nut and also crack the locking nut key while trying to remove one of the front wheels. i think the bolts had been over tightened. The lug part of the locking nut has sheered off but the base of the locking nut is still in tact but slightly damaged so the locking nut does not fit on it any more. Managed to get a replacement locking nut key from my local OCP which means I can safely (and carefully) remove the locking nuts from the other 3 wheels. Does anyone have any advice on how I could go about removing the damaged locking nut? I am based in the West Midlands. Any help or advice gratefully received.

Well - no easy solution - there are a few mobile providers out there who will come along and weld a piece of hex bar to the remaining bolt and then remove it with a big spanner...

However, this means that your locking nut is now useless and you'll need to get another one. Question is - can you get a replacement to match the key that you have?

Got a replacement locking nut key from my local OCP so the other 3 locking nuts have been replaced without issue. The damaged locking nut that I can't remove is no longer required.

I have used these before and are available from halfords, the only problem i had was the outside diameter of the socket was slightly too big for the hole on the alloy wheel so had to take a bit of the outside with a grinder however once on it made easy work of the locking wheel nut

(alternatively muller an old socket onto the wheel nut)

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/...PXbR_1gFaJRwF91v6IM2MSUUaJ_scwkzbzhoCpgDw_wcB

I've used a special socket for removing locking wheel nuts, sourced from Halfords. You wind it on and it grips and removes the nut easily. With these for sale, I wonder why anyone bothers with locking nuts if they can be removed like normal ones!!!
If you are local to me (Northampton) , you can borrow mine to save having to buy them. :thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cooper9000
Back