Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Car-maker VW in cheating in emissions test shocker

Robertb

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-34311819

I wonder which other manufacturers will get dragged into this, and whether the EU test has also been cheated too. :?:

Interesting however that the German govt has chosen to do nothing, and see if the US investigation uncovers anything... funny that.

This is nothing new as one older model Porsche was fitted with an emission control system relying for vacuum on a small pipe connected to the throttle body that on inspection was not drilled through and therefore did nothing!

I guess it is actually quite commonplace.

Baz

.....cat out the bag on this within the industry and I can't see it stopping at VW's door as they will all have been at it.

I laugh at some of the US response's considering how much they have and are still are, spewing pollutants into the air.

re...was reading an article on a 2litre 4x4 petrol auto/CVT jap crossover being tested across the pond and the tester says it was doing 29mpg "which was good" in his eyes :floor:

There will be trouble ahead! Someone's in big trouble, possibly CEO. This is bad, very bad.

Shame that Porsche aren't still independent they might be able to afford to buy VW by tomorrow :)

There is a certain irony in the US going all holier than thou over health concerns from NOx emissions when 32,000 people a year are killed in the US by guns.

just another example of the US authorities being especially zealous when pursuing misdemeanours by a non US multinational with a heaviness of hand that would make the Chinese govt blush.

Robertb said:
There is a certain irony in the US going all holier than thou over health concerns from NOx emissions when 32,000 people a year are killed in the US by guns.

just another example of the US authorities being especially zealous when pursuing misdemeanours by a non US multinational with a heaviness of hand that would make the Chinese govt blush.

It's an interesting statistic when you consider that about 11,000 of those deaths are homicide and 21,000 are suicide, very uncomfortable statistics once you start to break them down and examine them.

I might get a phone call soon then , just bought another GT Diesel :roll:

wizard993 said:
"The company's shares were down 19% in Frankfurt by lunchtime"

FFS - that's a huge chunk of company worth straight down the drain.

Redbull deal off? :roll:

"dieselgate" see below:

VW share price down 20% yesterday and a further 15% today

Except Porsche SE owns 31.5% of VW so this will have a series impact on Porsche as well

:lock:

I thought they owned 50.73%

edit: make that voting rights.

I think we can safely say that the USA is fast becoming the world's enforcement authority on many issues:

Banking and financial services, including foreign companies got a thorough going over post 2008 - more to come on that perhaps.
BP or British Petroleum as Barak calls them, paid handsomely for their disaster in the Gulf of Mexico.
FIFA are in the process of having their affairs scrutinised in the US when the rest of world were too shy to deal with the scandal.
Now it's VW's turn to feel the wrath of Uncle Sam, I bet they are not the last either.

There must be a number of senior execs in the motor industry sweating on this one - who's next?

If the disparity between manufacturers claimed fuel consumption and that achieved by motorists is any guide to actual emissions then there is plenty to look into.

I wonder if any car maker will stick their neck out and revise down fuel consumption claims and adjust emissions ?

I think this is going to shake the industry to the core......VW won't be the only car manufacturer to get hung out to dry.

There must be others who will be hiding under the nearest stone.

Truck/commercial vehicle manufacturers won't be excluded in the
witch hunt either.

Sit back and watch this one grow arms and legs.
:roll:

wizard993 said:
I think this is going to shake the industry to the core......VW won't be the only car manufacturer to get hung out to dry.

There must be others who will be hiding under the nearest stone.

Truck/commercial vehicle manufacturers won't be excluded in the
witch hunt either.

Sit back and watch this one grow arms and legs.
:roll:

I doubt they'll bother with the yank manufacturers tho.
World police looking for someone else to invade due to the recent influx of people from the middle east?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back