Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Green laning a Cayenne?

Markone

Silverstone
Decided that one of my winter activities will be green laning and the idea I have is putting some AT tyres on a Cayenne.

I only want to spend about £8k and I've also been thinking about another Range Rover or Mercedes ML. I'll be using whatever I buy as a daily driver so want something quite presentable and comfortable as well as reliable.

I had a P38 Range Rover some years ago and twice took that off road and that amazed me when it made light work of what I thought would be a serious problem so I do have some experience but just with this one vehicle.

Anybody have any advice with regards to off roading a Cayenne or any sensible and suitable alternatives?

Reliable, that is the Range Rover out then.

MC

Same thought on the Range rover... thats why mine went and Cayenne replaced it ......

good plan though ..an older Cayenne will still do what you want to do...

I'm just looking at a Cayenne E2 diesel for what will be a daily driver :what: Cant decide on whether I need the air suspension or not :roll: but what I definitely need are the sports comfort fully electric seats

Zingers
Trust me, you need air suspension :judge:

Cayennes are for pricing roofing jobs, not green laning.

Know your place. ;)

Waz said:
Zingers
Trust me, you need air suspension :judge:

I thought you'd say that :thumb: I like the idea of lowering the ride height to reduce the gaps between arches and wheels (M C Hammer setting) :grin:

Tbh sport mode makes it a much better road car, whilst comfort is great for plodding around,
If you set it on high bring a ladder to get out :D

I agree , air suspension is a great option, different modes for different moods...
i also find myself setting down to access height to get in and out though...!! a small drawback to owning an 'SUV' I guess...
personally i cant fault the Cayenne..its looks gave grown on me now ...

Terry

You need to define your green laning. Winter laning can be a wrecker for even the toughest Landrovers. Loads of mud, deep ruts, you'll be wanting a winch for when you get stuck (you WILL get stuck) and you need to happy to have deep scratches down both sides from brambles and hedges. If you're going to stick to hard packed shale tracks, then anything would do, if you are planning proper green laning, then an old Landrover or discovery with all the gear . I've laned on bikes for nearly 30 years, and wrecked many bikes along the way, it's hard on your machinery. Bl**dy good fun though. :D

I miss my old Jeep...

It was great for the lanes, never got stuck, never broke down or leaked oil like a Landy.
But did only get 12mpg (although had an LPG conversion).

Woody the Jeep Cheroke 4L straight 6.
32 inch MT
Winch, rock sliders, 5 inch lift kit.

Duplicate post :frustrated:

My cayenne S on steel springs ate set of 4 tyres every year.
Apparently air suspension is kinder on tyre wear on road :?:
But for off roading, would air suspension just be another (expensive) thing to go wrong !? Funny enough , mine had the very rare option of off road styling.
The one occasion I was off road, all 4 wheels just spun :lol:

My family barge now is an l322 Range Rover on air suspension.
Seen a few posts on Range Rover forum, They are supposed to be great off road , but it's all about the right AT tyres. So I expect cayenne would be tyre dependent as well.

I guess I need one with air suspension as I'm going off road and there's no other similar alternatives apart from a Toerag, I know the Range Rover is the best choice off road but I can't stand the road handling.
Also I'm told the 3.2 engine suffers less issues and gives acceptable performance and economy after tuning but I can't find any reports to back that up though I have noticed more 4.5's for sale with engine faults though I'm suspecting that's because the 3.2 is much rarer.

My discovery 3 is just about to go up for sale. I have loved owning so much infact I have just rdered a new one.

It is HSE spec with the air suspension, FSH history big file etc etc. PM if interested. Got loads of photos etc.

Been a great reliable car just wanted a new one.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lb456
Back