Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

993 RS - Start of the refresh

tp81

My car finally arrived for those who interested, I will upload pictures as I go.

In general the car is pretty much sorted. I purchased the car earlier in the year and on account of delays and busy workshops it finally arrived a few weeks ago.

Prior to arrival it was in JAZ and had the following done:

Strip diff and LSD kit fitted
Engine and gearbox stripped then re assembled using new parts as required.
New fan blade and pulley halves
Two new link arms on osr suspension
Front track arm dampers
Aircon regass
Bumper support bars
Engine bay soundproofing replaced
4 wheel alignment
New HT leads
Major service
New RS gearstick
Various other trims caps

It has also had a full paint job, rubbers, seals, etc.

On arrival I have since fitted new front indicator lens, new lenses to main lights, new combination fogs light assembly, orange indicator lenes along with a new pulse sender on the crank. The car broke down on my first outing to the Concourse of Elegnace at Holyrood Palace. My wife thinks I have bought a pup. :wack:

Tonight I have now fitted a new rear reflector on account of the old one having some cracks and scores.

All in all its getting up to standard.

Work planned.

I have a full new original carpet set to be fitted, the original has holes from a cage being fitted in the past and some holes in the floor (looks like cigarette burns).

I think I have managed to source an original Becker unit, cant get my head around the classic unit from Porsche.

That's pretty much it for now.

Old

New

Nice work Tom :thumbs:
What was the reason for the breakdown?
Good to see you're already well down the slippery slope :grin:

James there was a really harsh noise coming from the engine / gearbox when the car was labouring. Around 3000 rpm, this seems to be std on these cars with chatter from the gearbox but in mine it was exaggerated. I came to an agreement with the seller to investigate and share some of the cost. All sorted and in the end nothing serious. The good news is that the engine and gearbox have been throughly checked and given a refresh. All good.

I have to say I had forgotten how noisy the car is (inside) I love it. The stereo will be totally redundant.

Congrats Tom :thumb:
Looking forward to developments :bye:

while i'm here Tom can I ask what are those seats you have in there?

Congrats - I have to say if I'd waited that long to get the car, the last thing I'd be doing is any more jobs - I'd be driving... constantly.

tp81 said:

...sorry but if I'd paid someone money to fit new seals between wing and PU, it'd have to be better than that. :what:

Lovely Tom - looks like you are working your usual magic. Did you use the same place at your Turbo for the repaint?

What's your plan for the car - are you planning to modify along the way or stick with orginal spec?

Enjoy in good health :thumb:

Re: 993 - Start of the refresh

tp81 said:

Hello,
I love the way you put this in as a "one liner" :eek:

Was there much to be done? :?:

Tom, don't forget the laboured noise on the gearbox is only with the lightweight flywheel fitted. You do get to drive around that after you have driven the car for a few hours/days.

New carpets are always a great way to tidy the car up. The factory fitted RS carpets are so thin in places that you do often get holes in them similar to cigarette burns, where the adhesive shows through. This gets worse on hot days.
Maybe not such an issue in your part of the world!? :D

Have fun with it!

tp81 said:
I have to say I had forgotten how noisy the car is (inside) I love it. The stereo will be totally redundant.

Get rid of the stereo, there's no need for one......i did :D
Yes LSD's do fairly chatter away :wink:

Get out and enjoy :thumb:

Citori said:
tp81 said:

Hello,
I love the way you put this in as a "one liner" :eek:
:

Yes, best to just skip past that. In all fairness there was nothing serious just lots of small things by the look of the bill. Three pages of reading. Lots of small stuff which added together make up a big number. :what:

Ajaz, the seats are the std recaros supplied with the car, red backs to match seat belts, carpet logo and door pulls. I really like them.

OC, I agree the job on the seals is less than impressive. I will work away at things like this. All of the work was done while the car was south with no opportunity for me to check or question. I am now happy to have the car and will work away at these sort of things.

Mohitos, the car will be staying as original as possible.

The aim is to enjoy this as much as possible, looking forward to getting to know the car before the winter. :thumb:

tp81 said:
I think I have managed to source an original Becker unit, cant get my head around the classic unit from Porsche.

...the latest Porsche Classic unit is much improved - especially the user control logic - much more intuitive (the old one required a PhD in Human Machine Interface design theory)

http://www.porsche.com/uk/accessoriesandservice/classic/producthighlights/navi/

Porsche Classic were retailing them for circa £800 at Goodwood and Hedingham (healthy discount vs. dealers)

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SBSEA
Back