Welcome to 911UK
The only place for Porsche, 911uk is the definitive enthusiast and resource site for the Porsche 911.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so join up today for full access to the site and benefit from latest member offers.

Porsche Classifieds
Sell Your Porsche on 911uk
Create a Free Classified Advert
Search Ads
Classified Adverts FAQ
Trade Classified Information
Buyer & Seller Fraud Protection
Consumer Rights Act
Pre Purchase Inspection (PPI)
Porsche Car Sourcing
Porsche Cars Wanted
Official Porsche Centre Reviews
Model
Stock
Porsche 911
992 : 2019- 0
991 : 2011- 23
997 : 2004- 62
996 : 1997-2005 31
993 : 1993-1998 2
964 : 1989-1993 0
Carrera 3.2 : 1983-1989 2
Carrera SC : 1977-1983 3
930 Turbo : 1975-1989 1
Early 911 : 1964-1977 1
Porsche Other Models
Classic : 1950-1965 0
Boxster : 1997- 24
Cayman : 2005- 20
Cayenne : 2003- 7
Macan : 2014- 4
Panamera : 2009- 0
912-914-924-928-944-968 0
959 - CarreraGT - RaceCar 0
Car Parts For Sale & Wanted
Other Items For Sale & Wanted
Wheels Tyres For Sale & Wanted
Number Plates For Sale Wanted

Porsche Services
Porsche Body Shop Repair
Paint Protection & Wrapping
Porsche Classic Insurance
Porsche Classic Parts
Porsche Classic Restoration
Porsche Design Collection
Porsche Engine Gearbox Rebuild
Porsche Heritage & History
Porsche News
Porsche Picture Gallery
Win a New Porsche 911

Porsche Parts
Body Parts, Body Styling
Brakes, Clearance
Electrical, Exhausts
Engine Cooling, Engine Electrical
Engine Rebuild, Heating Cooling
Interior Incar, Lighting
Rubber Seals, Service Parts
Steering, Suspension
Transmission, Workshop Tools
Early 911, 911 - 930, 928 - 968
964 - 993, 996 - 997, Boxster
Cayman, Cayenne, Panamera

Porsche Model Range
911 [992] 2018-Current
Porsche 911 [992]
911 [991] 2011-2019
Porsche 911 [991]
911 [997] 2004-2012
Porsche 911 [997]
911 [GT] GT1-GT2-GT3
Porsche 911 [GT]
911 [996] 1997-2005
Porsche 911 [996]
911 [993] 1993-1998
Porsche 911 [993]
911 [RS] RS-RSR
Porsche 911 [RS]
911 [964] 1989-1993
Porsche 911 [964]
911 3.2 1983-1989
Porsche 911 3.2 Carrera
911 SC 1977-1983
Porsche 911 SC
911 [Early] 1964-1977
Porsche 911 [Early]
Boxster & Cayman
Porsche Boxster & Cayman
Cayenne & Panamera
Porsche Cayenne & Panamera

911uk Site Partners

NedHan79
Hockenheim

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

effervesce wrote:
What has happened about selling parts or conversions? I'd like a set of your extended seat runners to allow rear seat access with buckets

Possibly would need a set of these myself

ELA
Barcelona

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

effervesce wrote:
What has happened about selling parts or conversions? I'd like a set of your extended seat runners to allow rear seat access with buckets

Sorry guys recent new toy has been keeping me busy:

As much as I'd love to be involved in car building and manufacture full time, I'm just very busy with my real job so the cars will just have to be for fun Thumb

Ned your battery sounds like a monster, possibly a TT battery as they are heavier than Carrera ones.

NedHan79
Hockenheim

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah the battery is a big one alright. Nice we bit to be shaved off there. I must look more at the bike battery you recommended. Hard to believe something that small would do.

LightweightRob

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found this thread last Friday...

First, I could not believe what I found. It's like founding something I was looking for ages. How did I found it? Well, I was in contact with various people and companies for about two years now, to get the details on weight saving potential. I work on my priority list on what to work next, etc.
Most of the time the documentation of weight is not precise, or pictures, etc. are missing.
So I was in contact with Cargraphic to get some details on their lightweight carpet, as usual, I got at least the number, without some real details. I used google to search for it, and the thread of your GT3RS appeared. Which was already a revelation!

But then I found this, a very detailed documented and logically thought through project. I spend the last weekend reading this thread and I have to say, that it needs to be documented as a PDF for future generations! This information shouldn't get lost.

After I sorted out my ideal suspension setting the last two years(I wanted a 997 to handle like a 996), a similar project to this here is on my list for the next two years! Starting this March. Most of the parts have been collected over the last year. It's time to start. Especially the carbon roof top is a must for me, as it's the highest point of the car and I have a sunroof fitted on mine Sad

Thank you Richie!!!
worship

HSC911
Dijon

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Rob

bye

ELA
Barcelona

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sincere apologies for causing you to lose a weekend Rob Grin

Glad to hear you have found some of the information here useful for your own project. I'm getting pretty close to a stage in the Alfa development now where I can get back into other projects. The 996 will be going to Manthey Racing soon for final development testing on circuit with pro test driver including geo set-up and hardware review. The car will probably be with them for some time and I'm looking forward to see what the results will be once they've waved their magic wand over it. The reason for this is I have hand built the car so I just want to make absolutely certain that all my changes are approved and thoroughly checked by the best in the business. Especially the effects of things like the hub positioning, no front ARB and Ohlins settings all working in perfect harmony. I just feel Manthey have so much experience in this field it takes out all the guess work and endless testing and adjustment to try and find the correct cohesive balance.

Keep me informed on how you get on with your car Wink

Phil 997
Le Mans
Le Mans

2009 Porsche 997 Carrera 4S

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richard ,I was watching this video and it made me think of you . have you done or considered doing this to lose more weight or are there more cons than pros in doing it.

https://www.facebook.com/kkclassicporsche/videos/177373823362897/

also are you doing Dinslaken this year mate Thumb Thumb

ELA
Barcelona

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Phil, I’ve done a few areas on my latest Alfa project regarding some thick aluminum rotating parts but to be honest in that video you are dealing with secondary structural areas probably only 0.9-1.1mm thick, so in total my guess is 3-5kg saved. It is a lot of work for very little gain but the main benefit of lightening holes such as this, would be for improved structural rigidity.

I would like to try and make it to Dinslaken but my main focus just now is getting the Alfa finished. Hopefully within a month I’ll have a clearer picture as it would be good to do a Moselle/NBR tour with some of you guys that may be interested Wink

Phil 997
Le Mans
Le Mans

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ELA wrote:
Hi Phil, I’ve done a few areas on my latest Alfa project regarding some thick aluminum rotating parts but to be honest in that video you are dealing with secondary structural areas probably only 0.9-1.1mm thick, so in total my guess is 3-5kg saved. It is a lot of work for very little gain but the main benefit of lightening holes such as this, would be for improved structural rigidity.

I would like to try and make it to Dinslaken but my main focus just now is getting the Alfa finished. Hopefully within a month I’ll have a clearer picture as it would be good to do a Moselle/NBR tour with some of you guys that may be interested Wink

Sounds good mate , hope to catch up with you in Dinslaken Thumb

Shalmaneser
Trainee

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil 997 wrote:
Richard ,I was watching this video and it made me think of you . have you done or considered doing this to lose more weight or are there more cons than pros in doing it.

That looks very pretty but you'd have to be careful you weren't compromising the structure of the part quite badly by doing this. On non-structural parts it's great but it could end up seriously reducing the torsional rigidity or crash resistance - as I'm sure it has done so in this case.

Phil 997
Le Mans
Le Mans

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shalmaneser wrote:
Phil 997 wrote:

That looks very pretty but you'd have to be careful you weren't compromising the structure of the part quite badly by doing this. On non-structural parts it's great but it could end up seriously reducing the torsional rigidity or crash resistance - as I'm sure it has done so in this case.

yes Richard said the same , I was also what I was thinking which was why I asked and agree with what Richard said about it not actually losing much wieght as the metal is light anyway. Thumb Thumb

Marky911
Sepang

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everybody likes “Speed holes”. Grin

https://youtu.be/G3ja6Hn8ps4

My mates early race cars were always full of holes, but nothing structural, just inner door skins etc. No worries if there’s a full cage but you wouldn’t want to do it without a cage. Same as carbon fibre doors etc. You’d want door bars as a second defence.

LightweightRob

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Richard,

Well, I got rid of my Alfa, to have less headache, to be able to focus on my Porsches. You're making it the other way round. Very Happy

I like your approach to hand over the car to Manthey Racing. Those guys are benchmark!
My issue was that everyone is focused on performance only. Not about the feel of driving and interaction with the car on reasonable speeds. Therefore you have to be careful with Manthey here.
They are making a weapon out of your car and will reduce the playfulness and driver interaction. You can't just hand over the car to them and expect a result as per your expectation. You have to be involved in this project yourself.
I struggled to find a company that understood my needs. They are obsessed with more grip, more performance, more everything.

That's why it took me a lot of research, fine tuning and a step by step approach to come closer to my target. At the end I spend a day to figure out a geo setup with a geo expert that I like and worked with different spring rates from Öhlins(springs are reasonably priced at Öhlins), against different opinions of experts.
You know, Porsche designed the car with intention to generate maximum grip at the rear, I really struggled to reduce some camber at the back to make the limits of the car more approachable.
I wanted to have good handing, without any weight savings. So if I have weight savings applied, it will get even better.
But this is all in all a long and maybe boring story...

This spring is the aim to get rid of 103kg, with still remaining focus on overall driveability and fun.

- Relocation of the Li-Ion Battery further forward and down, where the tool box was located
- Driver and Passenger seat
- Removal of the Audio stuff
- Getting rid of the carpet foaming
- 18" wheels with narrower tires
- Removal of Front-Rear Bumper Support,
etc.

Can't wait to feel, how the car is going to improve further.

I just received adjustable semi-solid engine mounts today, can't wait to try them out. Just a question regarding the gearbox mount. Which one do you recommend, a stock version or a PU version? Do you have the tool to press it out? Should be an easy job with the right tool. No one is able to help me here, seems like the German guys in the German forum don't care a bout driver involvement
Will be fun in combination with an adjustable sway bar. Very Happy

I have difficulties to get my FIA seats and steering wheel extension TUV approved. Do you have a TUV on hand who is willing to help here?

Next step will be, selling my boring 997 Turbo to get some liquidity and to be able to focus on this project.

Then moving on with interesting stuff like a carbon roof and ducktail end of the year, need your advice when moving on with this stuff.

Should be my absolute dream car by 2021
puh

ELA
Barcelona

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LightweightRob wrote:
Hi Richard,

Well, I got rid of my Alfa, to have less headache, to be able to focus on my Porsches. You're making it the other way round. Very Happy
Almost but not quite as my Porkers aren't going anywhere Wink

I like your approach to hand over the car to Manthey Racing. Those guys are benchmark!
My issue was that everyone is focused on performance only. Not about the feel of driving and interaction with the car on reasonable speeds. Therefore you have to be careful with Manthey here.
They are making a weapon out of your car and will reduce the playfulness and driver interaction. You can't just hand over the car to them and expect a result as per your expectation. You have to be involved in this project yourself.
I struggled to find a company that understood my needs. They are obsessed with more grip, more performance, more everything.

I fully get that, I will be involved with all test driving and geometry changes; my aim from the start was to create the most exciting drivers 911: more original ST or R rather than latest GT3RS, so have no fear, my car will not be turned into some track mule Wink

That's why it took me a lot of research, fine tuning and a step by step approach to come closer to my target. At the end I spend a day to figure out a geo setup with a geo expert that I like and worked with different spring rates from Öhlins(springs are reasonably priced at Öhlins), against different opinions of experts.

This is the reason I am going to Manthey, they have professional race drivers so should be able to detect exactly what I need to do in order to get exactly what I want from the chassis, well that's the plan anyway.

You know, Porsche designed the car with intention to generate maximum grip at the rear, I really struggled to reduce some camber at the back to make the limits of the car more approachable.
I wanted to have good handing, without any weight savings. So if I have weight savings applied, it will get even better.
But this is all in all a long and maybe boring story...

This spring is the aim to get rid of 103kg, with still remaining focus on overall driveability and fun.

- Relocation of the Li-Ion Battery further forward and down, where the tool box was located
- Driver and Passenger seat
- Removal of the Audio stuff
- Getting rid of the carpet foaming
- 18" wheels with narrower tires
- Removal of Front-Rear Bumper Support,
etc.

Can't wait to feel, how the car is going to improve further.

I just received adjustable semi-solid engine mounts today, can't wait to try them out. Just a question regarding the gearbox mount. Which one do you recommend, a stock version or a PU version? Do you have the tool to press it out? Should be an easy job with the right tool. No one is able to help me here, seems like the German guys in the German forum don't care a bout driver involvement

The easiest solution would be to fit the power flex inserts into the existing mount, but honestly pressing out the original should not be difficult with a standard 30T press.

Will be fun in combination with an adjustable sway bar. Very Happy

I have difficulties to get my FIA seats and steering wheel extension TUV approved. Do you have a TUV on hand who is willing to help here?

Wie immer in Deutschland, schwierig und teuer! For something like the parts you mention, there are a few options, let me know nearer the time Wink

Next step will be, selling my boring 997 Turbo to get some liquidity and to be able to focus on this project.

Then moving on with interesting stuff like a carbon roof and ducktail end of the year, need your advice when moving on with this stuff.

Sounds like you mean business with your project best of luck

Should be my absolute dream car by 2021
puh

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 43, 44, 45
Page 45 of 45

Jump to: