Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

1986 944 advice

dusse123

Hello porsche people! If you wouldn't mind hearing me out I'd love some help and advice.

18 year old car lover here, (yes, I'm only 18 and I'm on a porsche forum, crazy I know but hear me out... Please?) I've been driving for 2 years now as a named driver on my parents vehicles, a 1.6 turbo kia hatch and my dad's 21 year old 2.5L volvo when I'm in Norway, hence the driving from 16. I'm working full time now whilst taking evening classes to make up for some serious health issues during my last couple of years of schooling so have some money and am looking to live a little, especially now that I can't do quite as much of the sport I used to love.

This is where my love from porsches and all beautifully designed cars come in, I've grown up admiring my uncles mint 1980 911 targa so when I saw a 944 within budget I fell in love! Even more so when I saw how reasonable the Insurance was... Half the price compared to the gutless hatches most of my friends are driving.

Sorry about the long introduction but here's the real questions. The car in question is a very nice 1986 944 with 150,000 miles, always been taken care of by porsche experts and dealers. So... Is this the car for me to enjoy on all the wonderful roads Scotland has to offer and then to get my speed fix on the occasional track day? What should I look out for? Whilst I'm ready to spend some money looking after her how durable are they and whats the parts availability like? How easy are they to maintain and look after myself?

Thank you very much to anyone taking the time to read that essay and even bigger thanks to anyone who can give me a word or two of advice or any insight to what its like owning a 944.

Happy driving Porsche people!

Angus

Hi there and welcome Angus. I know little about the 944 but it might also be worth posting this the forum named "Other classic Porsche models". Good luck and enjoy your life of hopefully driving many other Porsche cars :)

:welcome: to 911uk Angus

The fact that there's still so many 944s stomping around various tracks and touring across Europe shows how robust these cars are. If you get a good one you'll be ok but don't under estimate how much essential parts might cost.

Good Luck :thumb:

ps. As suggested above I've moved this thread to a more relevant sub-forum.

Thanks to the both of you, happened to notice the other Porsche models section after I'd already posted it in the wrong place. :lol:

Hi Angus, they are great handling cars, you could work on it yourself but if you do the belt they need to be balanced (tensioned) properly to stop vibration from that big engine. Check the sills for rust and check under the carpet in the boot for trapped water. If it checks out go for it :thumbs:
Only negative I found with them is they arnt that fast compared to modern stuff but they handle great and are good to drive and look great.

Ian

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
3sp1f8
Back