Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

to paint or not to paint?

steeko77

Hey all, I have a 2005 997 with 25k miles. I have owned the car for just over a week. The paintwork currently is all original - it has your usual stone chips on the bumper / bonnet - very very minor. I just got the car from porsche last week and I took it down to dublin with my girlfriend for the weekend for some shopping etc. Anway some complete bellend hit the driver side's bumper!!!!!!!!! Scuffed it and has taken the paint right of it, doesn't look as nasty since I have cleaned it up and touched it up.

What I am asking is should I paint the bloody thing? I think to make it look right and no discolouring from a freshly painted bumper to the factory colour bumper (which is guards red) I would need to paint the bonnet + it gets rid of them stone chips, on it - although very minor, still covers some of them plus there is no off-colour....?

I have spoken to my painter who is a friend of mine and he suggests to paint the bumper and the bonnet and blend it in, as it'll prob look of colour? I don't really know much about painting cars.. He has done some work to my previous car's with people doing the same thing and the work done was 100%. He also done my friends 911 turbo S in black and by god it was just mint and noticeable. So unnoticeable that a dealer from porsche couldn't tell it had been painted.

Thanks for the advice in advance, I don't want to ruin the car's true character but yet I do want this scuff fixed. Would you paint? Leave alone? Just paint the bumper and hope it doesn't look too off coloured? Or just paint the bumper/bonnet ? Or try and blow it in? IF money was no object. what would your opinion be?

If the painter's as good as you say I'd let him crack on personally. Other people on here may have more experience/knowledge but what he's saying makes sense and is what I was told regarding getting the stone chips on the front end of my motor sorted properly so.......

Once you're done throw up a few pics as I'm thinking about getting the front end tidied myself and prefer to give business to local firms as and when I can. :thumb:

I dont see how you can blend in a bonnet,on a porsche.There is nowhere to lose the edge?
Just have him paint the bumper.Itll be full of chips again in a year anyway.
I painte mine 3 times in 2 years.
Just a note.Ive been painting cars for 25 years.

I agree, you cant blend in the bonnet. You will have to paint the wings as well.....where do you stop ! just paint the bumper.

steeko77 said:
Hey all, I have a 2005 997 with 25k miles. I have owned the car for just over a week.
This is new car syndrome.

I can only speak for myself but I reckon most of us suffer from this, from my experience, it seems that most of us tend to do stuff a short while after ownership and then usually tend to just do mods or upgrades along the way.

The previous owner of my current car, had all of the wheels dipped by Lepsons, then had the car detailed and the front end covered with a clear bra armorfend or something like that. All within a few weeks of ownership - he then went on to do 1,000 mile a year driving!

If you do go with a front repaint, perhaps you should do something like this and then you can forget about it for a time?

Or save some dosh and leave well alone :)

Best to get the bumper, bonnet and blend in the wings to get the best finish .

Voting for just the bumper. The less the better and for me it's more important that the bonnet and wings match.
Most people will expect a bumper spray from time to time, but a bonnet paint may suggest something more serious has occurred.
Just my opinion.

Sorry I didn't mention that he would be painting the bumper, bonnet and the wings, to blend it in. It isn't really that dear. He assures me that it'll not be noticeable in anyway I have 2 weeks to make a decision - if its anything like my friends porsche that he sold afterwards it would be mint.

I just don't want to just paint the bumper and for it to be off-colour as it'll annoy me more than the scuff. On the other hand I don't want to paint it at all as I don't want to lose the "orignalness" of the car. Here is a picture of it although now its not really that noticeable as I have fixed the bits I can and touched it up.

Attachments

• image1_6_412.jpeg
    image1_6_412.jpeg
    110.3 KB · Views: 4,602
steeko77 said:
Sorry I didn't mention that he would be painting the bumper, bonnet and the wings, to blend it in. It isn't really that dear. He assures me that it'll not be noticeable in anyway I have 2 weeks to make a decision - if its anything like my friends porsche that he sold afterwards it would be mint.

I just don't want to just paint the bumper and for it to be off-colour as it'll annoy me more than the scuff. On the other hand I don't want to paint it at all as I don't want to lose the "orignalness" of the car. Here is a picture of it although now its not really that noticeable as I have fixed the bits I can and touched it up.

A good painter will blend the front bumper from within a few inches of the edges, if they are pretty spotless, you will not notice the difference.

I just got rid of every stone chip on my car, and never touched the bonnet, as you can go too far, it has to stop somewhere, and the wings will move onto the doors and so on, just get what you need done or people will think its had a crash!!

Hi
I had a scuffed rear bumper which was repainted. Good finish
It's worth noting that the bumpers are painted at different Porsche plants so you never get a perfect match.

I've removed a couple of big stone chips with chipex kit - costs about 50 quid

Unless you are 6 inches away from them and already know where they are you cant see them. It's decent stuff, certainly good enough to keep a daily driver looking nice until it picks up enough chips to need a respray

pcat said:
I've removed a couple of big stone chips with chipex kit - costs about 50 quid

Unless you are 6 inches away from them and already know where they are you cant see them. It's decent stuff, certainly good enough to keep a daily driver looking nice until it picks up enough chips to need a respray

If you don't mind me asking, what technique are you following with the Chipex kit? I've got one for my car but can't seem to get on with it.... Either I make a massive mess & spend ages trying to clean up excess paint or I end up removing the paint I've put on with the blending solution. Just can't seem to get it right!

Sorry to hijack the thread OP. Anyway back on topic, in my experience most Pork of this age has had some cosmetic paintwork done to get rid of stone chips. All OPC's have criteria that means if any if their approved used cars have more than 3 chips on a panel then it's painted.

Just get the PU painted, I had mine done last year and could not see any colour deviation at all...................it is covered in stonechips now, but I bought my Porsche to drive it :D

I'd go for a full front respray - bumper, bonnet and blend into wings.
A good job will be around £1200 - £1600 inc. vat

I'm not keen on films. Instead budget the same job every three years or so depending on how much you drive it.

The prices I'm quoting are not made up. The top end is a Porsche-approved typical price. The lower price would not be porsche-approved but a good independent body shop. That's the typical spread. The lowest was £800 but I excluded that as an outlier.

Looks like a SMART repair job to me, the damage is in the middle so quite easy to blend off, no hard edges to spray to.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Retep
Back