Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

From St Tropez with love.

Alex

Nordschleife
Just thought I'd do a quick post about my drive down here. Set off on Tuesday afternoon around 3.40pm down to folkstone. Brimmed it with 95 ron to see how it ran and how I'd go on with the dodgy tickover I've had.

Motorways in the UK were pretty decent for once and only saw heavy traffic around Oxford and M25 near Heathrow. Mostly on 70mph on the sat nav and averaged 34mpg. Arrived mega early at the chunnel (9.00pm for 10.50pm crossing) so they slipped us on the next train at 9.30pm. Train was nearly empty, we were the last car and all alone in the 3rd carriage back.
Turned the gas up in France as I wanted to cover distance whilst it was quiet so 85 on the speedo (80mph on the sat nav). Borrowed my Dad's zapper thingy for the tolls so drove through around 20mph - deffo want one of these, no toll ball ache whatsoever.
Didn't fill up till just north of CDG airport in Paris (465ish miles) and ran out of fuel on the slip road into the services so just managed to free wheel up to pump.
Next stop about 70 miles south of Paris to let the other half take the wheel as my eyes were throbbing. She got the worst part as it was proper pea soup with fog. Had a quick hour power nap and took over driving duties just south of Dijon.
Didn't fancy hitting Lyon at 7.30am so turned off down to Grenoble to hit the scenic route from there to Sisteron - very nice drive and loads of good roads and overtaking stuff.
Stopped for a picnic brekkie just North of Sisteron, then the last blast down to St Trollop.
Final mpg came in at 32.3mpg and the car never missed a beat. Ticking over perfect and munching those auto-routes up for fun. All 3 of us arrived reasonably fresh and ache free. Even the dog was pretty chilled all journey and the best he's ever been in a car. As Johnny D says - these cars are designed to cross continents.
Since arrival, top's not been up whilst the car's in motion. Turned up at Pampelonne plage today and the car park guy directs me into the 'supercar' area reserved for the nicer motors. Although mine was the least exspensive car in there, I must say -it made me smile.

Clocking off now, my Rose's getting warm :)

Wish you were here & a bientot! :bye:

All alone on the eurotunnel

20150901_212235_zpsrda55wlm.jpg

20150901_212153_zpswgnknqq3.jpg

Breakfast stop just south of Sisteron

20150902_093629_zpsochjjql4.jpg

20150902_094927_zpsznm3ybzt.jpg

We're here! Car's ready to do it all again!!!

20150903_192233_zps94891ibv.jpg

Have a great time Alex....coolio

Forgot to mention - covered 1100 miles in 20 hours. Car didn't even break a sweat.

Great report, keep us updated on how its running :thumb:

That your Mrs Alex....??

If it isyou are punching wwwwwaaaaaayyyyyyyy above your weight m8

Have a great break m8

Osh

have a great time :thumb:
i cant believe your MPG figures (jealous)

I was down in Nice from Saturday until last night.

Very nice and plenty of 911's about.

Enjoy your trip Alex, great write up. You may have inspired me to do a bit of a road trip :thumb:

I'm over in Cannes next week but taking the lazy route and flying over. I've got a hire car so will probably nip over to st.Tropez for a day trip . Wish I was driving over though :thumb:

Nothing better than driving across Europe in our cars... Driving to the Alps next weekend, can't wait!

Alex, you'll find Porsche's are a lot rarer sight in France than in UK, so they do get a lot more attention...

Did a similar drive last week. Currently staying in Tourette sur Loop, just north of Nice. There really are some fantastic roads around. Having done it before we came off the Route Napoleon just north of Grasse and took the D2 South East. Brilliant. Going exploring over the next few days.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevemias
Back