Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Electric window switch... OE or Genuine?

993S_Ocean

Hockenheim
A common fault... One of mine has finally given up.

What are people's experience on here for the OE items that can be bought for half the price of a genuine item?

I bought a couple of the OEM ones from Eurocarparts when they were on special for a really silly low price and they have been fine for at least a couple of years. Don't look any different from the original.

IIRC the are two brands for non original replacements, one brand being not too good.

Do a quick search on Rennlist they have been the subject of discussion on there.

I bought one from ECP a couple of years back which was on offer for about £6. No issues, looks just the same

OE and OEM

How that term OE has been abused by the motor factors and parts suppliers over the years. Used to mean Original Equipment quite literally, now it can be applied to all manner of Sheeeite being peddled (usually on that popular auction Sheeeite, I mean site).

I bought an ECP one which looked at odds with the original twin in the drivers door. So I installed it in the passenger door and used the switch from the passenger door in the slot in the drivers door. On opposite sides of the cabin the difference is not noticeable.

Some non OE are slightly different appearance, you can swap the factor part internals in to your OE switch casing. Apparently the pins break. Thread somewhere on here.

please enlighten me, as i always thought OE meant original equipment (as in "genuine")
so what does it mean now?

Yes thought it was a three way choice.....aftermarket, OEM, Porsche. Been wondering whether the 'OEM' label is being abused when looking at the pricing on parts. Am I being cynical or naà¯ve?

Riviera Bob said:
Yes thought it was a three way choice.....aftermarket, OEM, Porsche. Been wondering whether the 'OEM' label is being abused when looking at the pricing on parts. Am I being cynical or naà¯ve?

I think as dapper says the term OEM has been a bit distorted over time.

The way I see it there is OE or original equipment. Genuine Porsche spares that come from Porsche with a Porsche part number on it.

OEM refers to Original Equipment Manufacturer ie, stuff that is supplied to Porsche such as Textar brake pads, Sebro discs, VDO instruments, Bosch alternators and electrics etc, etc. before Porsche bag and label it as their own.

Stuff made to OEM standards is aftermarket, but produced to a good quality equal to the original part manufacturers, but they don't actually supply Porsche. Could be things like glass or car batteries.

Aftermarket: anybodies guess as to the quality or source of origin.

Only my view,

Yes, as an example just bought a DME for my 3.2 - sorry, wrong forum but I'm sure it applies across the board...aftermarket (20 quid), OEM (30 quid), Porsche (60 quid). Presume the Porsche one is best quality, but what does OEM mean in this case? Is the OEM part the real deal, and then Porsche just stamp their name on it (and charge a Porsche tax?)

Riviera Bob said:
Yes, as an example just bought a DME for my 3.2 - sorry, wrong forum but I'm sure it applies across the board...aftermarket (20 quid), OEM (30 quid), Porsche (60 quid). Presume the Porsche one is best quality, but what does OEM mean in this case? Is the OEM part the real deal, and then Porsche just stamp their name on it (and charge a Porsche tax?)

It's only my opinion but the way I see it: if it's OEM them it should be the same part that manufacturer supply to Porsche. (but without the Porsche tax :) )
As I said Textar brake pads are a perfect example. Probably the same with your DME relay.

Latest posts

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Camarocane
Back