Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Cost of replacing alternator on 996

Tim C

Hi all,

Great site and great forum, lurked for some time, but have a genuine question that I was hoping someone may be able to help out on.

I have just been informed I need a new alternator for my 2001 996.

Cost for new part and fitted will be £1,300 (main dealer price)

Is this on the high side or about right?

Thoughts welcomed.

Thanks,

Tim

What is the fault with your alternator?..It's a relatively simple DIY job to swap out and in some case's it can be repaired with a diode pack.

Thanks for quick response.

Bearing in the alternator is kippered.

I'm not the best with a set of spanners, hence visit to local dealership. It actually went in with a different issue, I suppose this is an added bonus!

The alternator on these cars are bullet proof, however the voltage regulator screwed to the back is not,
A new one of ebay circa £30 good luck :thumb:

It's a pretty easy DIY job

TBH £1300 is ridiculously overpriced for an alternator swap.

All IMHO of course :D

Get one from ECP and find a local mechanic. You'll save a fortune.
Any competent mechanic (and even those which aren't) should be able to do this easily.
You don't need OPC for this.
Good luck.

I did my voltage regulator in a couple of hours (which is alternator out). £1300 doesn't do the OPCs any favours at all.

Get to an Indy.

I had mine replaced by an indie last year just under £300 to pay of which the alternator was £180.

I think the alternator was £800 from porsche so to get to £1300 sounds a bit rich.

Thought I was going to have to fit an replacement alternator (turned out to be the VR -which Porsche wont swap out for you) so did it myself it took me an hour so indy / opc must be able to do it quicker!

As many others have said already it's likely to be the voltage regulator brushes which have worn out, you can pick up a new one for £30 on eBay but you do have to remove the alternator to get to it.

Personally I'd replace the entire alternator, many places offer a refurbishment service where you send them your old one. Try eBay and look for 'alternator man', expect to pay £150~ For the refurbished unit

The job itself isn't too bad if you take your time. You need to remove the drive belt and the hardest bit is getting the new alternator to mount back in place. If you decide to DIY drop me a PM and I'll give you a bit of guidance where I can

Best of luck

Tim C said:
Cost for new part and fitted will be £1,300 (main dealer price)

:floor: :floor: :floor: :floor: :floor: :floor: :floor:

Some say they do nice coffee and chat in the showroom, they might even let you sit in a 991 while you wait. You will get a nice warm feeling knowing only Porsche has worked on your car.

thats a bonkers price, on ebay they are under £200, and there bosch reconditioned, i bought one over a year ago, fitted it myself and its been superb, its a fiddly job, but quite easy, plenty of how to's on you tube.
good luck.

Latest posts

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cooper9000
Back