Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

My 996 has option 650 on sticker but no sunroof!?!

jaykay127

Monza
Had some time to go through the history of my C4S this weekend and have noticed on the option stickler that it has 650, which is sunroof but the car clearly doesn't have nor ever has had a sunroof.

Would this just be a clerical error :dont know:

........or a boot lid off another car?

Such a fundamental 'clerical' error would not be possible at the build stage.
Does the sticker in the front lid match the one in page 4 of the service book?

If it does and you don't have a sunroof then something I seriously adrift.

Any car that is not as specified when it leaves the factory raises questions around why?

It is then down to a buyer to establish why and its legitimacy before deciding what to do next.

The stickers under bonnet match with page 4 of the service book and from the inspection it was noted that the bonnet has never been removed and it original to the car from the factory. It does strike me as being a little strange indeed!

Porsche Cars GB will supply build details of your car for a fee I think, or free if you join P Club GB.

Or a friendly man at an OPC.

Extremely unlikely, but might a previous owner have removed the sunroof to make it stiffer?

Or as you say, the options sticker might just be wrong. Could you have misread a faded number?

You can't trust the codes on the sticker, Porsche changed the numbers several times! I printed off what I thought were the codes and couldn't match them up, there were codes on the car that were not on the list!

mr gill said:
You can't trust the codes on the sticker, Porsche changed the numbers several times! I printed off what I thought were the codes and couldn't match them up, there were codes on the car that were not on the list!

Thanks that is reassuring.

I do know that the sunroof was a standard option on all C16 (UK) cars and you had to select code 652 as an option to remove the sunroof, maybe they just did make a mistake!?!?

Thanks for all the comment :thumbs:

That's brave of you to table the thought.
When the sticker of options in the service book and bonnet lid do not match, I'd just walk away cos it questions the provenance. There are a lot of wrecks out there and i even know a Porschephile who bought a crash damaged wreck.

I'm pretty sure that something like it having been a cut and shut or a wreck would have been picked up by the experts that checked the car over, it is a bit of a mystery for sure !? :?:

could have been a total loss from the rear, but never recorded/Insurance claimed , so new secondhand shell, with the original bonnet and sticker of course and all other salvageable parts. rebuilt to a nice shiny porsche??
If this is the case, and has been carried out corectly, it would not bother me there are probably loads of cars this happens to. certainly most track/competition cars get rebuilt several times. :)

FYI - in the trade the trick with the sticker under the bonnet involves a hairdryer, a spatula and a nearby sheet of glass. Easy when you know how......

Regarding the sunroof. Given the sunroof is a 'delete' option, is it possible that they all have it? Or that the dealer informed the factory of this choice after the build order was logged, but before the car was specified on the production line manifest?

All are no less plausible explanations, given the lack of evidence.....

Could just be a replacement bonnet was used.

Id check to see if the other options listed on the sticker are in the car, and cross ref sticker to that in the service book.

If code is in service book as well.... then hey ho, best call for Mulder & Scully.

Can you call your nearest OPC? When I've been buying cars they've always been helpful in taking me through things if they're not too busy? :dont know:

Was delete an option? The original purchase receipt for my car has it as a £848 option which implies you didn't get it as standard and therefor would not need to delete it :dont know:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
briant1000
Back