Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Coming back to Porsche!! 991 C2S or 997.2 Turbo?

Zanderman

Hi All,

After WAY too many years away from the fold I am returning to 911 ownership (used to have a 996 C2S and loved it!). I am looking at the following cars both priced pretty much the same and am kind of stuck............

997.2 Turbo, 2010 model black, PDK in superb condition

991 C2S in White, 2012, PDK with all the bits.

I have driven them both a couple of times and am totally stuck and need some thoughts!

Turbo - I love the fact that it is a Turbo, a super car compared to a sports car. It goes like a rocket ship, I have never felt acceleration like it and honestly scared the crap out of me (in a good way!). The only thing I didn't like s that it felt a little dated inside and I like my technology and it doesn't have that much. Also spending this much on an older gen car doesn't feel quite right for some reason. The depreciation may be better on a car that lost over half its value so that is a small factor (although this is about the right car not the money necessarily). It is a TURBO though!

The 991 is beautiful, just love the way they look and the one I am looking at is from an OPC and is in perfect condition. It goes amazingly well and just feels like a way nicer place to be (especially as I get older and fatter!!), like Porsche have finally come into the 21st century. It sounded superb, handled well and is probably as fast as anyone could realistically need. There may be way further to go in terms of depreciation, something worth bearing in mind. Its not a Turbo though.......

Ultimately I would go for a 991 Turbo but that's a bit out of budget for the time being so what do you all think? More modern and beautiful or mentally fast and supercar like?? Anyone had a similar decision to make, what did you go for and why (and how has it been since?)

Appreciate the help!!

A nice dilemma to be in. :envy:

Only you can decide but if it helps .......... I'd consider three things.

1. What type of driving are you most likely to do?

Turbo power delivery is intoxicating and if you don't drive the car regularly the novelty will never wear off. However, if you're intending to use the car regularly you might find the (few) times you can get actually get the Turbos 'spooled up' frustrating. In 95% of normal road situations the NA car will be more than enough.

2. How important is depreciation?

A 997 Turbo of either generation is pretty much fully depreciated. A 991 Carrera will fall in value steadily over the next few years.

3. How important are looks and equipment level?

A 997 standing next to a 991 looks dated and the technology inside is a few years newer. It will be a while before the looks of a 997 are considered 'classic' whereas a 991 is 'current'.

My view.

In your position I'd scratch the Turbo itch now, knowing that I won't lose much money in doing so, and review the situation in a couple of years time. At that stage you'll know whether a Turbo is best for you and could move on to a 991T or you could move to a NA car.

Good Luck :thumb:

I'm on the same page as T8. Read your post and count how many times the word "TURBO" comes up! You have had an NA car before, but not a Turbo.

So try the Turbo and then in a couple of years decide if you still want to go back to the NA route albeit in a modern day 'current' 991.

My comments are without the experience of making a decision like yours, but I've been a passenger in a 997 Turbo :eek: so have some idea of why for some there's no alternative.

I think you've answered the question yourself, if the Turbo was the car for you, I think you'd be in no doubt. For what it's worth, I'd be thinking that as spectacular as it is, it may not be something that can be exploited very often whereas every minute of looking at, sitting in, using the technology and (of course!) driving the 991, would bring deep satisfaction and no regrets.

Admittedly, I asked what he would choose between a 997 4 GTS Cab over a 991 C4S Cab, but a Porsche Experience instructor told me at the weekend that in his view the 991 was a no-brainer, he said they are extraordinarily good and he would have a 991 over a 997 every time.

If, IF, it were me. I'd go for the 991. This may be helped by the fact I've just spent the entire weekend blasting around in a Targa, but even without that experience I would still choose the 991.

The 997 Turbo is sublime, no question. Like MJA, I have also been a passenger in a 997 Turbo (albeit Gen 1) and they are mind-blowingly fast. You cannot quite explain the acceleration until you've physically experienced it yourself. However, the 991 - I think - is overall the better car inch for inch.

The interior is light years ahead, and the aesthetics and the design of the 991 will remain 'current' for a longer time. The technology is advanced, and the cabin is just a sweeter place to be - which is where you will spend a bulk of your time. Taking nothing away from the Turbo, no one would fault you for choosing that weapon of a machine, however, as I my opening statement says, I'd choose the 991.

Zanderman I'm in exactly the same position as you, I can't really
afford either but for me the lifelong dream has been a Turbo. So I'll probably do it.

The reality is the 991 is the better car, by a country mile. The issue is its an S, look at Porsches model line up and that sits second. Look where the Turbo sits. Let's be honest were all a little posy in our Porschers, an S doesn't get too much attention, in 997 or 991 guise. Then there's the rapid depreciation, an 991S doesn't make much sense at the moment, I'd wait twelve months, be significantly cheaper then, before that curve levels out.

A lot depends on what you want it for? If it was a daily I think I'd go 991 S, would it feel special? I'm not so sure... Whereas the Turbo, well it's a turbo.
I'd even go 991 GTS, but can't see that depreciating too quickly, and it's still not a turbo....

I'm sure that's no help at all lol

:grin:

Thanks for all the comments chaps, most appreciated!!

I think the reality is I want a 991 Turbo which would cover both worlds (so the fast and the newer car). Having the latest generation 911 is good enough for me for the time being until I can afford the next step I think.

Ultimately I loved the 991 the moment I sat in it but the turbo nag in the back of my mind is whats making this tough. Part of the problem (and it might sound stupid but hey ho.....) is that I don't really want to spend this amount of money on an older generation car/older model. This is the most I have ever spend on a car and for some reason the 991 feels more special being sexy and up to date etc.

This is an emotional purchase so I have to go with the heart and the heart is saying 991!

I will let you all know what I end up with.

Cheers!

Good call. I'm a 997.2 driver and I would go for the 991S. You'll love the up-to-date tech and the 'current' looks.
In reality, the mind bending performance of a Turbo just can't be exploited on todays roads. Enjoy the rasp and crackle of the naturally aspirated 991, for soon they will all be gone.

Zanderman said:
Thanks for all the comments chaps, most appreciated!!

I think the reality is I want a 991 Turbo which would cover both worlds (so the fast and the newer car). Having the latest generation 911 is good enough for me for the time being until I can afford the next step I think.

Ultimately I loved the 991 the moment I sat in it but the turbo nag in the back of my mind is whats making this tough. Part of the problem (and it might sound stupid but hey ho.....) is that I don't really want to spend this amount of money on an older generation car/older model. This is the most I have ever spend on a car and for some reason the 991 feels more special being sexy and up to date etc.

This is an emotional purchase so I have to go with the heart and the heart is saying 991!

I will let you all know what I end up with.

Cheers!

Ahh but we can help you choose! Like look at this !! Racing yellow yummy!

Whytar said:
Good call. I'm a 997.2 driver and I would go for the 991S. You'll love the up-to-date tech and the 'current' looks.
In reality, the mind bending performance of a Turbo just can't be exploited on todays roads. Enjoy the rasp and crackle of the naturally aspirated 991, for soon they will all be gone.

Says who?? with that statement wants the point of having any Supercar??

Have you had a Turbo ?? can you handle a Turbo ??

With the current range of NA Porsches might be worth saving a few Bob and getting a Cayman

Food for thought.

Boba fett said:
Whytar said:

With the current range of NA Porsches might be worth saving a few Bob and getting a Cayman

Food for thought.

Oh so sorry Bob. Didn't realise I wasn't allowed to express an opinion. Please accept my sincere apology.

Whytar said:
Boba fett said:
Whytar said:

Food for thought.

Oh so sorry Bob. Didn't realise I wasn't allowed to express an opinion. Please accept my sincere apology.

Apology accepted :thumb: :wink: :wink:

Boba fett said:
Whytar said:
Boba fett said:
Whytar said:

Food for thought.

Apology accepted :thumb: :wink: :wink:

:duh:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lb456
Back