Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

£16k 964 coupe on eBay

langers1970

Did anyone spot the £16k Buy It Now 964 C4 coupe that briefly appeared on eBay yesterday but seemed to sell quicker than a Jamaican relay team? Sure, it was LHD but it looked totally on the money, and the ad had none of the usual scam signs. 100k miles, 80k rebuild, decent interior, no indication of rust.. was this a rare, decent sub-£20k car? Will keep a look out to see if it appears at one of the dealers for £30k+. Must surely have been a catch somewhere?

:grin:

There are a few near-certainties in life. Bolt will always win Gold. Spurs will never win the league. Once you are married you will never see the TV remote again. And there is no such thing as a bargain 911. This one looked good, very good. But so did the £18k 3.2 G50 I viewed last year. I wouldn't have given £18 for that just-serviced, low miles car - it hid so many problems that it was almost unbelievable. This one might be the exception but you have to ask why anyone would throw away an extra £10k when there was probably a queue of callers/hopeful bidders from Teddington to Timbuktu.

langers1970 said:
There are a few near-certainties in life. Bolt will always win Gold. Spurs will never win the league. Once you are married you will never see the TV remote again. And there is no such thing as a bargain 911. This one looked good, very good. But so did the £18k 3.2 G50 I viewed last year. I wouldn't have given £18 for that just-serviced, low miles car - it hid so many problems that it was almost unbelievable. This one might be the exception but you have to ask why anyone would throw away an extra £10k when there was probably a queue of callers/hopeful bidders from Teddington to Timbuktu.

+1
as a rule this is definitely the case. I once phoned the vendor of a very nice BMW Z3M coupe being sold for a good price.....the vendor sounded a nice old chap-he informed me the car was in great condition etc-I told him I was driving a very long way to view the car and I'd be annoyed if there was any issues he was not telling me....he then told me it had no service record and was Cat D.

However- you can get very lucky- I know someone who about 2 months ago bought a 993 Cs from a bloke in his seventies-he had owned it from new and he accepted 38k for it- evidently the elderly owner had not even checked the current prices and was chuffed to get 38k....I was gutted and bloody wish I'd met the vendor first.

Yes, feel your pain on that one, Carkid. I know of a similar story involving a pensionner who sold a 911 swb for about half what he should have, earlier this year. Ebay purchase history can provide a lot of info. Seller of this car, for example, likes his motorbikes, so may not be an OAP. However, he flogged some D90 wheels a while back, and some 16 inch cups. So he clearly knew that the correct upgrade was to bigger cup 1s and new wingmirrors. So if he knew that, why didn't he know £16k is way off the mark, even for LHD? Reminds me of the baltic blue blinged-up targa on 100k miles doing the rounds about a year ago, on sale for £16k. I spoke to seller, again sounded like nice chap, car had had two top ends, alcantara added to roof lining, selling as wanted Evo, 'I always buy cars on condition' he said - but no service for a couple of years and something didn't add up. It subsequently came up for sale again, and again, most recently with a Cat D next to it. What a surprise. A seller who doesn't specify condition, or that there is no rust, or service history beyond 'SH' and puts a car on a low Buy It Now strikes me as a bit odd or someone with something to hide. And it seems all 911s, bing such a good looking car, are extremely photogenic, save for the basket cases. So those photos looked good, but who knows the true story. Would be nice if someone here tells us, and it has a happy ending (eg has gone to a terminally ill chap whose dream has always been to own this exact model). There are one of two more realistic endings: someone paid £16k for a half decent LHD car, which is dropping a bit of oil, probably early signs of scuttle isses, heat exchangers are on their last legs, heating system totally boogered and suspension needs full refresh, not to mention the more serious than it looks bolster wear and torn rears. Or it will appear on a dealer site next week for £32k, with none of the above problems sorted out.

Or maybe Mike Brewer nipped in quick and negotiated seller down to 12, and the 964 will be featured on next series of Wheeler Dealers.

What a surprise. I visted the auspicious "Motoring Hub" last year to view a 3.2 targa. The seller met me at the listed postcode but I was driven about 10 miles across town to the dealer's 'storage facility' which was the drive to a very average semi. The wider-than-Delboy seller had the car parked behind a Phantom next to a bunch of clapped out family saloons. 'I bought the Phantom for fun', he told me. The 'rust free' targa was not even driveable as the brakes had seized. Sills, inside wings, and all the usual places were rotten to the core and seats were growing mushrooms. As for this car, seems he either nipped in super quick with a briefcase of tenners and is doing a quick flip, or the earlier 'seller' was one of his dodgy tactics to assess interest. Could well be the latter. If the former, proves you really cannot outgun the dealers unless a car is in John O'Groats.

I see the seller has put his Phantom up for sale, a snip at £75k. He also has another LHD 964 on for £60k. You can see how it can be a mug's game to buy right now if you are not really careful - dealers like this are taking the proverbial.

I also see that Motoring Hub have notched the speedo back around 6k so it's under the all important 100k miles mark. Excellent move.

Went to look at a red 996 from these guys a few weeks ago. Faded paint, wooden brakes and wouldn't rev past 4000. Wouldn't let me get the car inspected and asking top money. I walked away. He couldn't help but tell me about the Rolls Royce Phantoms they sell and the '964RS' they had in stock based on an old 2.2 with a 3.0 engine all done to 'RS spec mate innit'...

stanuk964996 said:
Went to look at a red 996 from these guys a few weeks ago. Faded paint, wooden brakes and wouldn't rev past 4000. Wouldn't let me get the car inspected and asking top money. I walked away. He couldn't help but tell me about the Rolls Royce Phantoms they sell and the '964RS' they had in stock based on an old 2.2 with a 3.0 engine all done to 'RS spec mate innit'...

This might sound like a dumb question, but it wasn't a tiptronic car being revved in neutral was it?

MC

The guy selling it for 16k ended up selling for 25k...

He did not want it to go to a trader, doh! Prior to the sale, his eBay account was hacked and the listing for the 964 ended by means of having accepted a best offer deal via the site. This wasn't possible as he was in another country and not keeping an eye on eBay. After being hacked, someone had put a cash sum through the door and then demanded to take the car away over a phone call a few hours after the cash appeared. They were told no and to come and take their cash back, they came and refused to leave until they take the car! Apparently lots of threat followed, a pretend call to eBay (was a normal mobile number), al while standing outside the guys house, only a threat to call the police ended the saga.

As I had left a message in regards to buying the car, the owner was kind enough to return my call a week later to explain the above situation and said, never list a 964 for cheap. :thumb:

He was a gent, told me all about the history of the car and how it was his wife's car and she had only ever had Porsches since a 924 being her first car. The only thing he mentioned that required attention was a new rear centre light.

The one that got away! :roll:

Cheers for the update, Mark.

That's quite some story. These hackers used to be rife on Auto Trader but I didn't realise they'd worked a way into eBay, that's a bit of a worry. Feel sorry for the seller chap, it's a shame he didn't sell it to someone worthy on here or through the other '64 communities. His car doesn't deserve to have ended up on Motor Hub, presumably now sitting on Mr Shiny Suit's drive alongside the Phantom and G reg Toyota Corolla. £25k is still a steal for such a nicely presented car from a genuine seller, but will make some of us feel a bit better I guess that it wasn't snapped up for a mere £16k and flipped for twice the price.

Proves a salutary tale for both sellers and buyers. Sellers: offer a cheap 911 on eBay and you can probably expect the worst types to come out of the woodwork. Buyers: there really is no such thing as a bargain 911, as many have wisely stated here and elsewhere so many times.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back