Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Newbie and a new Cayman GTS order

Iopean

Hi!

So not quite sure what has come over me these last two weeks but it's resulted in an expensive purchase! I was killing some time and wondered into an OPC and had a sit in a Cayman, that was then and now today I leave my local OPC with my wallet a Cayman GTS sized deposit lighter. Only got to wait until March, it's going to be a long few months then....

Onto the obligatory noddy question about spec:
In order to have Bluetooth mobile calling through the car do I need to have the mobile phone prep option selected or will having chosen CDR plus cover me for that? Porsche don't really give much away for free do they?!

Cheers all! :thumb:

Welcome to the forum and congrats on a great choice of car😀👍

You now have the joy and frustration of figuring out which options to add - or not...

Even the colour and interior can be a problem as Porsche does not produce many combinations that look overwhelmingly good - or at least to my Mrs' eyes. It may be different with the Cayman as you don't have to ensure the hood material also 'works' with the paint and leather.

I'd be interested to know if you decide to stick with the alcantara. I didn't have a chance to see it on a 981, but the look and feel of it on the 991 we were able to check rather put me off.

tim

Thanks Tim!

Currently thinking something along the lines of agate grey, the standard 20" wheels in satin platinum. Think I'll keep the alcantara interior with black leather... going for the slightly understated look I think. Rest of the spec is:

PDK
reverse parking sensors
cruise
dimming mirrors + rain sensor
climate control
storage compartment lid in alcantara with porsche crest
CDR plus
Bose
mobile phone prep

This is going to be a daily car rather than a track tool hence the slightly GTish spec.

That will be a great car. You'll love it.

I've just taken delivery of a two year old 2.7 pdk and it's amazing.

If you're going the pdk route I'd definitely recommend the sport design steering wheel, not having paddles is just wrong. If I was speccing from new I'd go for the alcantara one too. And may as well get the gear lever in alcantara while you're at it.

Have a good listen to the Bose if possible, I've got it on mine and it's no great shakes. Once you're going above about 30mph, the car noise takes over so for my money that cash could be better spent elsewhere. I'd much prefer the sports exhaust to Bose if I had the choice.

Satin platinum wheels look great on it, probably look clean longer than standard ones.

My halfpennyworth again: whilst I like alcantara in general (think 1980s Lancia seats and the R26.R steering wheel for how good it can be), I did not like the feel of it on a 991 GTS in OPC Reading's showroom; hence I went for the zero-cost delete option. I know it in some ways it may make the car less GTS, but each to their own! I'm very much looking forward to taking delivery to see if I chose wisely...

Agreed re the PDK and paddles - I too tried it on a 2.7 and it is a very fine set-up indeed. I think Porsche should supply this option with radio etc controls as well, but strangely they don't :dont know:

Good Call OP

Having been thru the whole (exciting) process:

Top Tip1: tick Smoker pack - this gets you a 12V socket and a nice cover for the cubby hole at the base of the console

Top Tip2: Dual zone climate control isn't about DUAL, its about CLIMATE control. i.e. if you dont tick this you have to manually set the AC, which is Porsche Tax taken to the extreme but hey ho.

Im sure you'll get lots of "advice" - at the end of the day - its YOUR choice

Enjoy...

Congrats on the new purchase! Will your Cayman be the new turbo 4 cylinder unit?

~ Maxie

Thanks all :)

No it won't be a 4 cylinder, very definitely the current gen GTS as I want the n/a flat 6 before it goes the way of the dodo!

As for the sport design wheel with paddles... Absolutely I want that, I'm led to believe by the stealer that PDK on the GTS gives that as standard. As well as alcantara on the wheel and gear selector as standard.

The smoker pack is something I have on my spec with the dealer for the reasons you mention. And I couldn't agree more about the climate control, frankly I don't give a damn about the dual zone but climate control is a must for me!

Clarkey, on my op I asked about the Bluetooth capability, did you spec mobile phone preparation on your car?

Re that point ^^^

I think you do have to spec that to be able to connect your phone. An amazing Porsche-price for something that is essentially what FIAT would charge about £50 for...

I'd also check whether the standard GTS wheel is alcantara or not. I'm fairly sure on the Boxster GTS it was confirmed to us as being leather??

tim

OP, on Bluetooth, unfortunately Yes:( tick the mobile phone prep box

My man maths logic was that you get one of the best "sensible" sportscars on the planet so let Porsche win the battle and you win the war...

Yes, I know a lot of rose tinted views going on, for which I make no a pols

More than one proper journo has said the B/CGTS is the best sportscar this side of £100k...

OP, you wont regret it:)

Bluetooth added to the build then... I can see why Porsche is profitable, they are incredible at extracting every last penny from their customers!

Tim, I'm told the sport design wheel will come wrapped in alcantara as standard on the Cayman GTS. Though if I am honest I'm not that fussed! Now you've taken delivery what are your thoughts on the full leather?

Don't know how I'm going to survive the wait! :dont know:

Iopean said:
Bluetooth added to the build then... I can see why Porsche is profitable, they are incredible at extracting every last penny from their customers!

Tim, I'm told the sport design wheel will come wrapped in alcantara as standard on the Cayman GTS. Though if I am honest I'm not that fussed! Now you've taken delivery what are your thoughts on the full leather?

Don't know how I'm going to survive the wait! :dont know:

I'm very happy with the 'delete alcantara' option. The steering wheel feels perfect - nicely sculpted, not too thick rimmed and very decent quality leather.

Its probably a personal preference thing, but I didn't get on with the look and feel of the alcantara on the 991 GTS in the Reading showroom. So, really I just went with a hunch.

There's probably no wrong answer on this one!

If you do get a chance, I would recommend trying one of the fully adjustable seats for size. In some ways we had no choice here as the Mrs needs the lumber support to get comfortable.

You'll survive the wait!

tim

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R6demon
Back