Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Targa wind noise

Richard964

I've had my targa top refurbished but it's still noisy. Any top tips? (Don't say it, should have bought a coupe) I mainly drive it with the top off but I can't imagine all targa are this bad.
Thanks

have you adjusted it? (and the windows)
you can also bend the plates down very slightly at the front.
what state is the front seal in?

tdiquattro said:
have you adjusted it? (and the windows)
you can also bend the plates down very slightly at the front.
what state is the front seal in?

The seals are all good but the leading front lip of the roof seems raised, only by a couple of mm.
So it's not common then yours is ok? I'm ashamed to say I only test drove it with the roof off. I 100% bought the car with my heart not my head, loved it and had to have it.....

you need to adjust it so that it closes flat, for water you also need to adjust the windows/doors. Have a search on line for the factory instructions. Regular greasing of the rubbers helps with vaseline, just a thin coat.

As I said the plates can be bent down a little too.

They are all fine when adjusted right as long as the seals are good.

You are not alone, I purchased my 964 C2 some 9years ago with the same heart over head and no roof in place. I never even considered a coupe as I had always had open cars and loved the Porsche Targa look. As there were only 300 imported to the UK with luck they may become more desirable.
Mine leaked like a sieve but wasn't particularly noisy. I went to Milan in it 2years ago and it was parked on the top deck of a multi story car park for 5days in 35/40 degree heat which effectively toasted the glue. I had to tape the top to the windscreen surround to travel at more than walking pace.
I had it recovered last year before which I stripped it back to the frame which I repaired as it had one lug missing and the other cracked off but still in place. I replaced all the rubber seals and the two locking mechanisms as both were broken. This all was pretty expensive but as a new top from Porsche, assuming its available, is around 10k the 1k I spent made sense.
I would like to say it was 100% but no its not. The guy who recovered mine made a super job but never had the car to fit it too. Mine sits up about the same amount as yours at the front I keep pushing it back every time I fit it and it has improved but could do with being 2mm shorter overall.
I have adjusted where possible the two locking mechanisms and the four location pins front and rear. The wind noise is now acceptable at normal motorway speed i.e. you can hold a normal conversation.
I use brake rubber grease on the pins and silicon spray on the rubber seals I don't know if it makes any difference to the wind noise but it doesn't squeak
Like you I generally use the car without the top, on dry days, and cheat by keeping it garaged when its wet.
Sorry to ramble on and despite all the Targa's short comings I love it

Thanks guys appreciate the comments. I shall have a fiddle with it over the weekend. The longer I own the car the braver I'm getting with the tinkering.

I would post a picture but for some reason it keeps timing out.

I need to sort mine out too. I am tempted to take it to Southbound for a recover and also full adjustment. The quarter lights can be adjusted in three dimensions which I think takes a lot of time to get right.

Same here chaps. Heart over head. Never regretted it. It was noisier on than off at the beginning and I'm not brave enough to tinker. It took gt-one in Chertsey two attempts to get it right but they did. It was recovered but they kept the old seals and just fiddled with it,the quarter lights and side windows until it shut up. It'll never be a coupe thank the Lord, but it's pretty good upto about 90 now. I'm sure it's cheaper if you diy, but they certainly proved that you can achieve a good fit from a pretty poor starting position.

I have been adjusting my targa roof ever since I bought the car 4 years ago.

The roof is probably ready for a refurb and I have been waiting for Helion Composites in the US to bring into production a 964 version of their carbon fibre roof.

Just when you think you have got the targa roof sorted the weather/temperature changes and it needs adjusting again.

The two top tips I have come across on the forumns are the use of a short/adjustable curtain rail which you can use to provide tension at the mid joint (front to back). This stiffens the frame up.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Spring-Loaded-Tension-Curtains-90-150cm/dp/B0043991U4
(spray painted black)

On long drives installing black electrical trap over the front edge cuts out a lot of noise. This sounded like a real cowboy idea when someone advised it on one of the forums a few years back but it works really well up to about 80mph. after that the difference in the internal & external air pressure starts to push the tape apart.

Difference in air pressure is the main reason the wind noise increases at speed. The cabin pressure pushes the roof and doors out at higher speeds creating a bigger gap. I had this previously on classic cars with frameless door glass.

Still love the car, best days are when its dry enough to leave the roof off altogether.

Nice tips and cheers JGJ I hadn't thought of GT-one so that'll be on my list in the spring.

Seems like I've dodged a bullet with this one. I get hardly any noise at all from my targa top. It's not an issue. That's how it was when I bought my car. So, it is possible. To be honest, I didn't know that there was an issue until I read this thread.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back