Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Field Find - '87 Carrera - Worth buying/ Value?

markey164

Hi all,

I'm a current 928 S4 owner, but have just signed up here, as I'm going to look at an '87 Carrera 3.2 Cabriolet, that has been sat in a field for 5.5 years, which i might take on.

I've no idea yet what i'm going to find. I'm told it was in good working order when it was parked up, but it hasn't been used or driven since.

Obviously we'll need to go over it to check its condition, checking the floor for corrosion is the biggest concern i'd imagine.

We aren't likely to be able to check the underside (ie get it on a ramp etc) before purchase, so may have to take a gamble.

What range (min/max) would you guys estimate a car such as this, in the given circumstances to be worth as it stands? (assuming average condition/mileage and expected weathering)

Also what is likely to need sorting after this amount of time, other than brakes and corrosion?

TIA

:eek:

Brave man.

I once bought a '97 E36 328 which had been sat in a field for 2 years. These cars are known to rust a little bit on the wheels arches and such.

When I got going with it, it was absolutely rotten. Under the sealant for the floor it was rusted through, every nut/bolt/cable was rusted off. in the end I had to replace all the running gear with new stuff and have the floor welded.

I've never been lucky enough to have a mid-80's carerra, but from what I've read on the 964 (and earlier) forum on this site, they are known to rust absolutely everywhere. Even when well maintained!

I do hope you post back your findings and document your progress if you pull the trigger!

:popcorn:

Totally appreciate it will likely need a total stripdown, probable respray and a lot of work, welding etc. I'm looking at it as a mid to long term project.

I'm just not sure what sort of money its worth as it stands?

A cabriolet is not the most popular model so this will have a big effect on its value/viability.I wouldn't consider it unless you can check the underside. The repair cost on a rotter can be ruinous.

A friend of mine sold an impact bumper 911 shell and running gear needing restoration for £7k with no engine.

It was needing quite a lot of work but nowhere near what I imagine will be needed with this one.

To be honest I dont think anyone will be able to advise you without some pics to see, but i would say around the £7-9k mark if it needs a lot of work and the engine turns over.

:dont know:

I was thinking it might be worth £5k tops as it stands, and assuming the engine almost certainly won't turn over. In fact I wouldn't even like to try it without some basic maintenance, belt changes etc. Not sure i'd want to pay more than that.

I totally appreciate it might be rotten and not a viable restoration project, however, the car isn't worthless, even as a breaker.

I will stress to the seller it could be non restorable, and needs to be priced accordingly, so what would it be worth as a breaker?

Terrible copy of the video but it let's you know enough as this was a convertible sitting on a driveway. Sitting in a field you can expect it to be even worse.

As an investment it's probably not worth it unless you're doing all the work yourself. But in 3-4 years time these things could be double what they're worth now, with convertibles because of the rust getting very rare.

You're call but don't underestimate the potential for drama and pain. :eek:

Or you could get lucky :dont know:

But at the minute I'd be thinking 'donor car' rather than 'resto car'.

But that's IMHO. Other views are of course available :thumb:

I saw that episode, it was a Supersport that had an electrical fire under the seat IIRC. It had heavy corrosion in the floor and door pillars and was a borderline breaker.

They said it was one of their hardest restorations! :)

markey164 said:
I saw that episode, it was a Supersport that had an electrical fire under the seat IIRC. It had heavy corrosion in the floor and door pillars and was a borderline breaker.

They said it was one of their hardest restorations! :)

Glad you have seen it already as I'm sure the bloke that filmed the Youtube clip is doing something funny in the TV reflection............. :eek:

It's funny you know but I'm sure 10-15 years ago a 356 Speedster in the same circumstances would have been uneconomical............you just can't know how these things will turn out....... :dont know:

Try a search by author: clarkycat

he posted up some comments about these earlier cars and the rust he experienced and how much it cost to put right.

You are virtually into a money pit. If you really hanker for one, consider buying one where someone else has taken the pain of restoration - and even then, have it inspected by a classic car restorer who will know where to look for corrosion.

cheshire911 said:
Try a search by author: clarkycat

he posted up some comments about these earlier cars and the rust he experienced and how much it cost to put right.

You are virtually into a money pit. If you really hanker for one, consider buying one where someone else has taken the pain of restoration - and even then, have it inspected by a classic car restorer who will know where to look for corrosion.

Thanks,
Long story short:

My 3.2 was an MOT'd car with ace interior and rebuilt engine and gearbox.

The bodywork cost was going to exceed £16,000 to get the rust out (eg NOT a patch up or bits welding in as that is what most of these cars get).

I sold it and bought my 993 for £16,500!
8)

IMHO when it comes to 3.2 and SC cars. A good shell with no engine is worth more than a good engine in a shell that needs work.

A bad shell with an engine that needs work, if bought for £50, is a time consuming project that you might break even on, if you do all the work yourself, and figure your labour rate is 1p an hour...

:hand:

Who parks a Porsche in a field and leaves it for 5 years?

I'll try to stay positive here. I'm no expert but I saw an episode of Wheeler dealer recently and he hand cranked the engine because a car had been sat for 17 years. He wanted to make sure the engine hadn't seized. I'd suggest doing the same if possible.

isysman said:
Who parks a Porsche in a field and leaves it for 5 years?

TBH if you picked the right 5 years, lets say 2008 to 2013, then it would have doubled in value AND achieved the ridiculous 'premium' that barn/field finds tend to attract...

Moss.

That is where the money is, if you can get moss or algae growing on it (easy on a cab roof) then it enters the 'a good clean would work wonders' realm of wishful thinking that occurs when anyone posts pictures of a slightly green car on a car forum. Whack a birds nest in the glovebox and someone will buy it for silly money faster than his missus can leave him.
:thumbs:

What a bunch of defeatists! Get it bought.Stripped out(2 weeks)Then buy a rotiserie and bolt it on.
90% of the panels are available, some you might have to fabricate.
Learn to mig weld.Might take a few weeks but rocket science it aint.
Ive currently 1x 911 and 3 924t to restore.All in the planning guys!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back