Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Axle stand location?

alcarmichael

Spa-Francorchamps
I want to jack the car up and remove all 4 wheels, now if I jack it up at the jacking points it's not possible to fit the axle stands there as the jack will be in the way! What's the best way to keep the car up off the ground for a few days with no wheels on? Axle stands located where? Rest it on blocks of wood on the hubs or somewhere else? Other?

I always put my stands on the chassis' main suspension arm location positions.

The way I do this is to jack each side at the front with two trolley jacks to get ramps under the front wheels and thick pieces of wood under the rears wheels before I take any wheels off, then I jack the rear at the centre cross member, this allows me to have the car level for the rear axle stands which is critical and do go on the normal jacking points. I then jack each front corner again using two trolley jacks on the inner mounting points for the coffin arms on the subframe. If using axle stands, you want the car as level as possible when lifting to stop it slipping.
I also use a piece of wood from the brake pedal to the drivers seat so the front brakes are locked on and there is no chance of the car rolling when jacking.

I think officially you shouldn't have the car on 4 axles stands as it is not a very safe way to lift the car but the way I do it makes it very stable lifting each end in sequence.

Are there any other ways in which I can have all wheels off the car? Now you've said it's not a very stable method I'm a little bit scared as it'll be like this until next week when the wheels come back from being refurbished.

alcarmichael said:
Are there any other ways in which I can have all wheels off the car? Now you've said it's not a very stable method I'm a little bit scared as it'll be like this until next week when the wheels come back from being refurbished.

One alternative option is to use Jackpoint stands (which a few of us have from a group buy the other year). They make it extremely easy to put the car in the air and due to a huge footprint are about as stable as anything that you could possibly use.

Another option before you arranged your refurb would have been to use site regular Chris W of Excel wheels - he provides loner wheels for your car while the job is in progress so it wouldn't have needed to be in the air wheel-less for the duration.

I do like those JackPoint stands, have looked at them before. I completely missed the GroupBuy. How much were they on offer?

You could always ask Chris at Excel, he has loaners to keep you on the road whilst the wheels are being refurbed...

What a faff.

Its unstable as you are lifting it, not once lifted. Be very careful placing stands and re-check stands frequently as you raise / lower the car. Axle stands slip around on the jacking points when its at an angle.

Thinking about it again, since I got a low entry jack last time I used this method:

Lift on front right jack point, place axle stand under rearmost front subframe mounting. This seems to have less risk of slipping off the stand.

As you drop the jack the left front will raise.

Left front same again (already in the air).

Lift off the engine point to get the back up and on stands.

I have one of those 2 tonne Arcan jacks from costco.

guys you are complicating a simple job.

1 Use your jack at one of the rear jacking points to raise the car high enough to place a axle stand under the front jacking point. Use some wooden blocks under the rear wheel.
2. Repeat the process on the other side of the car. leaving the front end in the air.
3. Place your jack under the rear cross member with the support of a piece on timber. Make sure your jack is in the centre of the car. Back the rear end up until you can get the axle stands under each rear jacking point.

Its really easy and very safe.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drthein
Back