Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Aircon in a 964

Skyman

My simple question is, is it any good? I spend 85% of my time in the south of France, where temperatures are somewhat more generous than the UK, and as a result my search criteria for a 964 has to date included ac. However, I have begun to wonder, given the relatively few examples which have this option, whether it is worthwhile and effective in a late 80's or early 90's car. Any views and experiences greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Yep no problems with mine although it was like Trigger's broom fixing it :pc:

My top tip would be to make sure new parts have been fitted - by that I mean the condenser and evaporator to get the best. Had to go this route with my 993 and 964. Parts are really cheap but labour for the evaporator is 10hrs work given where it is :what:

Also note very early 964 had the dash fans permanently running (even on '0' ) so make sure there is no squealing as whilst they can be lubrictated to silence them they are bloody expensive (though someone on RL says a Merc 190 is a near perfect swap).

I now leave mine on 21Deg and with the AC on it chills as required without having to move to the blue dot.

Check the last few pages of my Silver Surfer thread to see what the old evaporator looked like. Most will be in that state which will have an effect on overall cooling

finding it dificult to find some one with r12a refrigerant to top up mine other than go the r135 route and end up with a load of new bits it used to work but has now stoped

I have the A/C on pretty well all the time to keep the seals lubricated, and everything is lubbly-jubbly. Chilly when required, and windows clear quickly in winter or when the outside air is damp.

The aircon is excellent. Much needed when in Europe (except Norway, obviously! )

I was having some work done at JAZ a few weeks ago. My 90 targa doesn't have air-con fitted.

Steve, the owner mentioned that a few cars have been retrofitted with air-con. Apparently, the kit costs £2000 including installation.

ray stobbs said:
finding it dificult to find some one with r12a refrigerant to top up mine other than go the r135 route and end up with a load of new bits it used to work but has now stoped

I thought they'd all been converted to R134a given that R12 is banned on environmental grounds :dont know: Mine has a sticker on the compressor and I'm not aware they need to change any of the hardware when they upgrade toot he new gas?

All useful information, thanks guys. If the right car turns up, but without ac, I may well investigate the retrofit route.

aircon in mine is wonderful :)

.. if only my blower fan behind the dash hadn't just started to squeel after a 5mins of use :evil:

.. if only my blower fan behind the dash hadn't just started to squeel after a 5mins of use

James,

Give the spindle a squirt of Teflube from behind the dash (you need to be a contortionist) and that will sort it out. Don't worry it won't collect dust (teflon based) it's specifically for parts like fans, some times called Fanlube. If you're going to Witton Castle send me a PM and I'll bring mine to give you a quick fix :grin:

Cheers,
Paul

The guy who looks after my car has just picked one with aircon up today - he was very excited for some reason saying there weren't too many about.

paul284pt said:
.. if only my blower fan behind the dash hadn't just started to squeel after a 5mins of use

James,

Give the spindle a squirt of Teflube from behind the dash (you need to be a contortionist) and that will sort it out. Don't worry it won't collect dust (teflon based) it's specifically for parts like fans, some times called Fanlube. If you're going to Witton Castle send me a PM and I'll bring mine to give you a quick fix :grin:

Cheers,
Paul

Be careful typing that into google at work...

paul284pt said:

James,

Cheers,
Paul

Paul - What's the best approach as mine have recently started to do it intermittantly and I want to get them lubed up before they go technical :what:

I looked at trying to do it from the bulkhead but unlike the 993 you cant access the back of the fans to see the squirrel cages without forcing off the metal clips and moving the AC pipes for the NS one

Hi Zingers,

The first thing to do is try the impeller underneath the air con control until under the dash, it's about the size if a 10p piece at the bottom of the unit and if you explore along with your finger tips you can feel the bottom edge of it protruding from the unit spinning.

It will stall as soon as you touch it so don't worry. This is what's making the whirring noise after you switch the ignition off and it's often the culprit which is often confused with a noisy fan. If I hadn't dropped my car off at Redline Racing today I'd have taken a photo for you.

A squirt of Teflube through a straw attachment will sort it out. If the noise persists after the lube has worked in then you will probably need to look at the fans themselves. The one behind the driver's side dash is the tricky one especially if you need to remove it, but again if it's just squeaking Teflube or Fanlube on the spindles will probably sort it without major surgery. Don't try this with WD40 or similar as this will eventually collect dust and only make matters worse.

Good luck,
Paul

Ah we're at cross purposes as the sampler fan in my AC control unit is fine :thumb: It's the two 4-speed fans that live in the mixing box where the evaporator goes that are starting to squeel on occasion. I knew these could be an issue down the line so I did ask my Indy to lube them up when they had the whole thing apart to swap the evaporator but in their excitement they forgot :pc:

So I'm going to have to go back in from the top to get to them - or rather they are! :what:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
911tt1
Back