Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997 tip, smoke from n/s exhaust when starting for 5 mins

manisingh

hi everyone,

its my first post but a concerning one...when i start my 2005 carrera 2 tip, i get smoke for about 5 mins then stops.

this doesn't affect the drive at all, oil and water are both fine..

any ideas? please help.

Is it smoke or is it steam? Smoke will be white or whitish-blue and smell like oil. Steam will have no smell.

Left hand exhaust smoking is not to be taken lightly (bank 2 exhausts on the left hand side). Is it burning up oil? Are you having to top-up oil more often? What sort of intervals (miles per litre).

Is the left hand tail pipe sooty?

The boxer layout can mean harmless smoke on start up. But other causes should be eliminated as its a Gen 1 997. You don't mention mileage or if there is any tapping noises - so probably OK if no tapping noises. Tapping noises happen quite a long way down the sequelae of events associated with these engines if your engine has succumbed.

Carefully monitor your oil usage over the next few weeks. It shouldn't affect running but it seems whilst standing you are getting oil seepage past the rings which is getting burnt off once you start the engine. Do you park on a sideways slope at all?

its only just started and I've not noticed oil loss (well not noticeable).

no tapping i can hear,

i'll check for soot.

i've had a read around, could this be AOS related?

I'm sorry I mistook your car for a Gen 1 997 as per the title of the post but it seems its a 996?

AOS would be dense smoke billowing out like something's serious. It looks a lot worse (and more frightening) than it appears!

As Chris suggests, keep an eye on oil consumption and smoking especially on left hand tail pipe. Also look for soot. Wipe it completely clean with a bit of WD40 and then test it for soot on your finger as well as the right hand exhaust tip.

Tapping noises likely occur after high oil consumption and sooting up of exhaust tips in the sequelae of events. Its probably just the harmless character of the boxer engine layout with oil seeping past rings and being burnt off on first start up. This is more prevalent if the car is parked on a slope.

Having said that, mine never smokes on start-up even after standing on
slope so I've never worked out why if remarks made to me by OPC and indys is that it is naturally due to the boxer layout? Perhaps it may be because in a Turbo it runs a true dry-sump lubrication against the Non-Turbo cars' 'integrated dry-sump lubrication' (as Porsche describes).
Two colleagues with 996 Turbo's on this forum also don't have this 'natural boxer phenomenon' so I'm not sure what causes it. The only difference is in the dry-sump of the Turbo and that maybe explains why it is not such an occurrence with the Turbo?

sorry all, my mistake on the 997/6 thing, first Porsche and totally new to it!

will check what been advised and get back to the you both.

thanks again for the prompt responses :)

Good point Chris. I saw an AOS issue in a 996 NA car t Sports & Classics a couple of years back. I thought his engine was knackered judging from the smoke billowing out form both exhausts like the smoke screen in 007's DB5 in Goldfinger (you know the car with all the gadgets - BMT 216A)

I remarked guess that's a knackered car Mike, to which the reply was - "it looks worse than it really is, its the AOS - an easy fix".

Looks can be deceiving.

Air Oil Separator. When it fails, it no longer separates the oil from the air and it ends up coming out of your exhaust. It does not sound like you have this problem.

Obviously, you are worried about possible bore scoring, which is not that common on 996 vs 997, I understand. As has been said, just keep an eye on oil consumption. I'd suggest anything more than 1000 miles/ltr = a problem.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lb456
Back