Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

A glimpse into the future: Singer 2025 - the 996 reborn

mazza

Sao Paulo
Having been enjoying the discussion started by Terry 996 v 997 Turbo comparison/preferences, had a moment of clarity on the 996...

Imagine In 2025, the 911 has now become a hybrid 7 seater SUV, pretty much all of the air cooled cars would have rusted away or are locked in an airtight museum on the moon, and most of the 996 have been dumped because of bore scoring/IMS failure, general lack of loving...

But then a few people (T8, NB996, JD) tell the world the 996 was amazing, the only successful redesign of a classic shape, and so Singer commission a 996 reborn...

Based on the 997 with the DFi engine, Singer painstakingly rebuild the original 996 shape on the 997 chassis, using the original amber indicators, but with a few modern touches such as LED headlights and full head up windscreen display...

The interior is delicately based in the original with a preference for terracotta leather...

Ok so it is a bit tongue in cheek (but it will become reality I'm sure) so if you were to design your own Singer 996, what bits would you add to make it...

It would have to be a non turbo car as everything will be turbo or electric in a few years time, I think you won't necessarily want a period interior but keeping to its roots, I would assume lower and maybe a few LED touches as you say.

Love it. Bottom end a modified 964 crankcase with a Har9tech top end, expanded to 4.0L?

Passenger side Sandal box in the dash.

mazza said:
Having been enjoying the discussion started by Terry 996 v 997 Turbo comparison/preferences, had a moment of clarity on the 996...

Imagine In 2025, the 911 has now become a hybrid 7 seater SUV, pretty much all of the air cooled cars would have rusted away or are locked in an airtight museum on the moon, and most of the 996 have been dumped because of bore scoring/IMS failure, general lack of loving...

But then a few people (T8, NB996, JD) tell the world the 996 was amazing, the only successful redesign of a classic shape, and so Singer commission a 996 reborn...

Based on the 997 with the DFi engine, Singer painstakingly rebuild the original 996 shape on the 997 chassis, using the original amber indicators, but with a few modern touches such as LED headlights and full head up windscreen display...

The interior is delicately based in the original with a preference for terracotta leather...

Ok so it is a bit tongue in cheek (but it will become reality I'm sure) so if you were to design your own Singer 996, what bits would you add to make it...

Flare the back wheel arches a bit. As per all retro hot rod 911s and quilted leather interior!

Active ducktail. Meaning it'll be flush to 40, traditional ducktail to 70, current 996 style to 90, then expand a la Panamsra to wide flat 'whale tail' :grin:

EDIT - single multi optic lens a la current Singer but WITH ambers. :thumb:

Definitely they have the vision :thumb:

However the key point here is that it is based on 997 running gear...

And needs to have a few futuristic touches... Similar to what C11 BRA has done with his LED headlight conversion...

What Singer are we talking here? I hope it's not Tina Turner because she made a mess of some of them car's on Mad Max and there's no way I'd let her near my 996 :eek:

Thanks Mazza

I think Singer would have a more subtle approach than mine though.

I must admit. I do like the look of the CSR below.

Oops.

I quite like the wheel arch spats/stone guards.

Hmmmmmmm

How about if I built one today OP? I sell my turbo, buy a Golf as a daily. Then start accumulating parts?

Would I start then with an early 997.1 S coupe with an astronomical mileage?

Backdate the rear using 996 C4S parts?

996.1 front with ambers?

Engine to Hartech?

Mmmmmmmm........ :?:

Must admit I really like the idea of buying a 997.1 as a project car and making it GT3-like in terms of running gear, but without the wings...... :chin:

An interesting concept Mazza. Could even see 991's being converted to 996 styling come 2030! Time has certainly been kind to our cars I think.

I love the CSR from RPM, I can see me keeping my car and doing that sort of thing to it.

Add to that the great colours that Singer use....

If I did it gradually enough the missus probably wouldn't notice :floor:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drthein
Back