Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997.1 and newborns

StreetDragster

Trainee
Hi all,

Child on the way, I had planned to fit a rear ward facing car seat into the rear passenger seat of my 997.1 C2s.

Do I need to disable the airbag? I do not have the key switch at the moment

Read lots of old threads, is there any up to date recommendations on what seats do and don't fit? I have a grace seat and clip in base for my other car and I was hoping to use that. Will test it this weekend

Thanks
Matt

With a rear facing baby seat in the front passenger seat, you always have to disable the airbag. That's why most cars have a key switch in the glove box.
With the 911 have other airbags as well, side impact , I think you should take advice from the OPC as to wether you should carry a sprog in the front or not.

Hi, thanks for your reply. I'm not planning on using the front seat, I'm planning on using the rear passenger side seat.

Looking at the car a bit more this morning, it seems the only airbag in the vicinity of the rear seat is the one on the side of the front passenger seat.

I think this is a front curtain airbag and does not go forward so there should be no requirement to disable the airbag with a child seat fitted in the rear of the car.

Thanks
Matt

Hi,

I fit a maxi cosy rear facing car seat in the rear passenger side with no major problem, to save my leathers I've taken out the velcro'd seat part and also put a cover on the back rest panel and all is fine.

The maxi cosy we have isn't exactly tailored to fit a porsche but it does go in however a search on the forum will find threads with more options that definately fit well.

I also have a porsche seat for the 3year old who sits by me so I'd recommend that as the little one grows a bit :)

I didn't turn off the front passenger airbag (to answer the question! :) )

Thanks very much, tried our graco one at the weekend and it's about 2 inches to long, so need to find another seat. Will check out the other threads, thanks again

Matt

Whatever you do don't sell up...... You will need the peace and excitement. I've been there done that and still having fun! Enjoy the Porsche life!

StreetDragster said:
Hi all,

Child on the way, I had planned to fit a rear ward facing car seat into the rear passenger seat of my 997.1 C2s.

Do I need to disable the airbag? I do not have the key switch at the moment

Read lots of old threads, is there any up to date recommendations on what seats do and don't fit? I have a grace seat and clip in base for my other car and I was hoping to use that. Will test it this weekend

Thanks
Matt

Matt,

To disable the front passenger airbag you will need to fit the deactivation device shown in this link:

http://www.porscheshop.co.uk/acatalog/porsche_baby_child_seats.html

I'm not recommending this seller as I've never used them and it may be worth enquiring with your local OPC

Hope that helps

Ron

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stulees65
Back