Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Battery drain problem (motor running somewhere)

Harv

Suzuka
Following my flat battery fiasco and alarm going off at 3am I have discovered there's something draining my battery.

While sitting in the car with doors locks and alarm activated it's apparent there is the sound of a motor running and the noise is coming from high up inside the dashboard on the passenger side behind the airbag. When you place your ear to the dash is very clearly a motor and I had someone disconnect the battery while I listened and can hear the motor winding down.

Any ideas what lurks behind the airbag and above the glovebox?

Car does have an old tracker I think but I have no previous experience with them and how they can fail?

Sounds like it's one of the heater motors (that move the flaps to direct the correct air to the correct vents). Try taking the fuses for all aircon and heater controls out and see if that helps identifying where.

Cheers I will give that a try.

Is there a motor on the abs pump? I think that's located in the same general area though this noise is definitely coming from inside the dash and not from the scuttle.

Yes I do have one so will give it a go probably next weekend. I've left the battery disconnected for now.

I have Durametric so will check for fault codes on there also :thumb:

It's possible the motor noise is normal. Years ago I had a 964, and I know that used to have a small motor running after the ignition was shut off - from memory, I think it was the fan for the interior temp sensor. It was designed to continue to run when the car was shut off, but stopped after (I think) 15 mins.

Might be worth reconnecting the battery and then going back to the car after half an hour to see if the noise is still there. It may not be permanently on.

dave964 said:
It's possible the motor noise is normal. Years ago I had a 964, and I know that used to have a small motor running after the ignition was shut off - from memory, I think it was the fan for the interior temp sensor. It was designed to continue to run when the car was shut off, but stopped after (I think) 15 mins.

Might be worth reconnecting the battery and then going back to the car after half an hour to see if the noise is still there. It may not be permanently on.

my 964 also did the same, as you say it was the internal temp sensor..

If doing this, as soon as you open the door to check it will wake the car up again., possibly starting the motor noise. I would suggest leaving the door open but latched closed while you are waiting..(if possible) - also, it might take slightly longer than 30 minutes, my car appears to have 2 stages of shutdown. Approx 15 minutes and then 35 ish...( seen as step downs in current consumption on the silly scope..)

dave964 said:

+1

The electrics stay live for some considerable time after the ignition key is withdrawn and the car locked up.

For weeks I couldn't figure why my old battery conditioner wouldn't go into the maintenance cycle with the green diode lit. Eventually I replaced it with a CTEK and it was possible to see from the 7-8 diodes where in the cycle the charger was and eventually (some hours after) it went into cycle mode.

Old charger may have been faulty....

Update
Car was locked for a day and could still faintly hear the motor noise from outside without disturbing it late at night.

I have chased the sound to behind the dash mesh vent on the passenger side (where the headlight switch would be if the car were a LHD).

Also found one of the relays is warm (position 24 I think, but can't find a RHD relay box picture). It's a no. 53 relay of which there are a whole row of them. I removed it and the motor stopped, also swapped it with one of the nearby relays and it started up again.

I maybe barking up the wrong tree but I think this is some kind of interior temp sensor that pulls air (using a fan) into a tube or small unit and over a sensor. What controls it though?

:dont know:

Thanks Chris

Here is a pic of the relay (the one located bottom left)

The relay #18 is running the Climate Control Temp Sensor Fan Motor continuously (it's actually powering the CCU too).

The fan (and the sensor it feeds cabin air to) lives behind the meshed circle above the glove box (or glove box area for 996.1)/below passenger side air vent:

glovebox.jpg

First try replacing the relay, else replace the above sensor (996.853.241)

(I have now rearranged the images on that linked thread above, as I just noticed the rear relay support key was associated with the front support diagram and vice versa, I have also added the missing page covering relays to #28 of the front support, so apologies for any inconvenience if you tried to comprehend it previously)

GT4 said:
The relay #18 is running the Climate Control Temp Sensor Fan Motor continuously (it's actually powering the CCU too).

I have swapped the relays round and the problem persists so will try and remove the sensor behind the vent. Perhaps it's cleanable?

I not I'll replace the sensor and hopefully that's all it is. I hope the climate control unit hasn't failed

... sadly, that is stage three.

But I would get the car on a diagnostic (PIWIS etc) before doing any more than checking/cleaning the sensor.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
robertcloftus
Back