Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Opinions Boxster or Caymen

stiffler69

Currently own a 986 boxster it is a great car and i like it, however i have a itch for a newer 987 model, that been said i also like the caymen.

So in your opinion what is the better buy ?

Does 1 out perform the other ? handling better ?

Any advice would be great

I've only driven the 981 versions of both and in both engine sizes.

If you want open top motoring at any time there's an obvious answer but otherwise I'd always go for the Cayman.

I didn't notice any difference in performance or handling but the coupe just feels more 'together'.

Drove one last week and its better

Throw both into a corner and the Cayman better for its rigid and rainproof

Don't go for the 19" alloys if a Boxster - pretty crashy ride that the chassis cannot seem to cope with. Unless it's for looks only.

~ Maxie

There's some unusual comments here. Boxsters are very rigid, they were designed as a convertible so doesn't suffer from issues the 911 cab does.

19" wheels on a 987 are not crashy at all. I owned a 987 that had 18" wheels on when I bought it. I was told the same thing when I said I wanted to fit 19" and when I fit them I was expecting the ride to become harsh but it wasn't. I couldn't feel any difference.

My advice is, if you love owning a convertible then stay with the Boxster. I've had convertibles for years, three of them being Porsches. Currently I don't have one and I'm desperate to get another. I'm planning on buying one later this year (most likely a 981). If you're not fused and didn't put the roof down much then consider a Cayman.

Either one but make sure you get PDK and sports chrono :thumb:

but Cayman is a bit better :D

Cayman for hard driving... Boxster for cruising down the coast with the missus!

I'd be interested to know how many people commenting here have owned either?

I've not text driven a Cayman, but I can say that test driving a Boxster was a revelation in how good a car can be. If the Cayman is slightly better in the handling department then I doubt I'm a good enough driver to even notice. Anyhow, I love convertibles and as the Boxster has effectively zero compromises compared to the coupé, it appears to be a no-brainer. I reckon the 981 Boxster (even narrowly ahead of the Cayman) is the best looking car Porsche makes at the moment. This helps too.

When it comes down to it though, I think the decision it is simply down to whether you want a convertible or not.

Boxster S on 18`s :thumb:

OK, I am biased, but I like to feel the wind in my hair.................it`s true, I actually have hair :hand:

tim993 said:
When it comes down to it though, I think the decision it is simply down to whether you want a convertible or not.

Exactly!

isysman said:
19" wheels on a 987 are not crashy at all. I owned a 987 that had 18" wheels on when I bought it. I was told the same thing when I said I wanted to fit 19" and when I fit them I was expecting the ride to become harsh but it wasn't. I couldn't feel any difference.
Disagree; I still say crashy on 19" alloys. But each to their own.

~ Maxie

isysman said:
I'd be interested to know how many people commenting here have owned either?

good point:

Ive owned a 996 cab and 2 cayman's, a gen1 and now a gen 2
I made the ride assumption of the boxster on the 996 cab similarities. Not sure how tight the boxster drives compared to 996 cab, so I stand to be corrected there :?:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gpc
Back