Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

What does £40k buy you these days...........?

New997buyer

Great conversation between JD and RPU on another thread - just what is out there for £40k that provides the thrills of a 996tt?

Examples are below (alongwith pictures of both for those who haven't met them yet*).

So what is out there to match a 996tt for under £40k?

Discuss**

JohnnyDangerous' Statement

2013_the_wolverine-wide.jpg

JohnnyDangerous said:
Ask yourself this, if a car meets the following criteria will I be able to get it for less than 40k and not lose money when i come to sell it

Capable of 190+ mph
Good predictable safe handling
Comfortable cabin
Reasonable running costs
Good pedigree
Blistering acceleration
Able to drive fast and safely in the wet
Reliable
Ability to cross continents at high speed and arrive refreshed and able to stand up straight
Sports car looks
Puts a smile on your face

Now lets see a list of cars that comply for 40K.

The caveat would be (and it would irk me if I was looking to buy now, is that not so long ago you could pick em up for 20K !!!!!) Now swap the 40K for 20 and ask the question again!

Ragpicker's Response

Kildare2.jpg

ragpicker said:
:hand: :lock: Tut tut Mr Dangerous Sir......... You know this should be a new thread all on its own.......

I'll play though, cos I'm like that..

1) BMW E60 M5 - lost all the money its going to now, de-limited top speed of 205mph, comfortable, but falls down on the looks unless you prefer the similarly priced M6... Whatever, you cannot argue that these are also an awful lot of car for the money.

2) SL55 AMG - again, at the bottom of its depreciation curve. Good looks, pedigree, comfy, will just touch 190mph with a strong tailwind and a slight decline...

3) Bentley Continental GT - quite a few of these around for £20k. No doubt you would lose money on one, terribly cliched... Just make sure to pack you fake Luis Vutton luggage.... (not for me - can you tell!?)

4) Aston DB7 / DB9..... Not sure about reliability or depreciation but gotta be a contender :dont know:

:?:

*please note photographs of both are representative and cannot be taken as an accurate representation of both members
**Discuss the topic NOT the photographs

:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

For that money my wife would happily have me chauffeuring her around in any newish Aston Martin, a Maserati GT or Quattroporte, a BMW 6 series Gran Coupe or a Bentley Continental.

I've told her I'd be equally happy to do so .... if she bought the car. :D

Jag XKR 5.0L, or 4.2L for under £20k. Not sure on the 190mph bit, but how often do you get to do that? Scores very well on the other attributes.

There's a lot of choice out there for £40k...

There's a whole heap of M and AMG cars, Jag XKR, Maserati GT, DB9... And of course there's the 997T ;)

Shaoxter said:
There's a lot of choice out there for £40k .... And of course there's the 997T ;)

Actually you'd struggle a bit currently. 6 months ago you'd have had plenty of choice but they've 'bounced' lately too. :clap:

T8 said:
Actually you'd struggle a bit currently. 6 months ago you'd have had plenty of choice but they've 'bounced' lately too. :clap:

Aye, but is it a 'Dead Cat Bounce'..............? :wink:

New996buyer said:
T8 said:

Aye, but is it a 'Dead Cat Bounce'..............? :wink:

:dont know: but as it's 'the last of the Mezger Turbos' I hope not. :wink:

NickHappy said:
E46 M3 CSL.

Be quick. At this rate they won't be under £40k for long. They are fantastic cars and a great alternative to a 996 turbo for cross country blasts.

MC

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Porsche Die Hard
Back