Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Time to change.the 911....

9114S

Hi all,

Am considering changing my current 997.2 and have been looking at a couple of possible options. For both business and family reasons I need something with 4 doors, but am keen to keep to the Porsche brand so considering a Cayenne. Unfortunately buying a 4 door car and keeping the 911 is not an option at the current time.

Firstly, would welcone views from anyone that has owned/owns a Cayenne (looking at the 4.8 petrol rather than a diesel, prob 2007-2009 model). What are they like to own, anything in particular to watch out for?

Secondly, have been talkng to the guys at RSJ and have identifed a car I am potentially interested in that comes with the RSJ one year warranty. Only spoken on the phone so far but first impressions are first class. Looking at Forum comments on here, they seem to have a great reputation. Again, woud welcome any views or experiences including any experience of using the warranty.

Thanks in advance and will keep you posted with any developments.

I've had a couple as loan cars from the OPC. I really dont like them, they are heavy and they feel heavy.

The Macan is better if you want a Chelsea tractor. Personally i'd have one of those or a Panamera if i had to have 4 door pork.

This may be controversial but I think if you want a sports car buy a 911 if you want a 4x4 get a Land/Range Rover

If I needed 4 doors and a Porsche I'd go for a Panamera-
far better on the road than a Cayenne-and less common.......
unless you are a farmer and need 4wd and high ground clearance of course

Had a Panamera on loan for a few days a couple of years back, quality was outstanding and when in sport mode it actually felt like a 911. Only problem is they are pig ugly. It's the only Porsche ever made that I don't think is a good looking car.

I'd say find a way to keep the 911 and get a second car to use for the other stuff. Or sell and buy a less expensive Porsche and another car for business.

I have a 911-997.2 C4S (2010), a Cayenne-957 GTS (2009), and a 928 S4 Strosek (1988).

My 957 GTS has PDCC, so it handles extraordinarily well for a car of its size.

There is no doubt that the 958 looks way better inside cf. the 957 - the difference is night and day. However, many people feel that a 957 GTS or 957 Turbo looks better than a 958 on the outside. Certainly, if you do much 'real' off-roading, then the 957 is more capable than the 958. I wouldn't buy a 955.

The Cayenne would murder a LR Disco or LR RRS - there's simply no comparison.

Quite simply, the only other SUV that I'd consider is a Macan. I'm loyal to the Porsche brand, and for good reason.

Jam911 said:
This may be controversial but I think if you want a sports car buy a 911 if you want a 4x4 get a Land/Range Rover

I second that, especially given the low number of Cayennes on the road, considering how many people now drive 4WD's I ask myself why not so many are bought?
I know the Rangies are really common nowadays but that makes servicing and parts more available.

I own a Cayman S, for me and a well used but clean RR sport diesel for the family and the Range is a pretty solid car.

Would you not consider downgrading the 997.2 to a cheaper Porsche and using the change to go towards a second car? Best of both worlds :?:

DOH :duh: Isysman already said this

just get a Panamera Turbo S with the sport design kit on it... job done.

I've gone through 10 porsches ove the years (all models bar Cayman), and the current car (Panamera Turbo, sport design kit...:) ) is looking like a long term keeper !
Only car I had that was 'better' was the 996 GT3 CS - hardly comparable to the Pana though

Mad performance, 28mpg in cruise, and in full on sport plus mode feels like a racer, yet will carry 4 plus luggage/dog in supreme comfort

isysman said:
Had a Panamera on loan for a few days a couple of years back, quality was outstanding and when in sport mode it actually felt like a 911. Only problem is they are pig ugly. It's the only Porsche ever made that I don't think is a good looking car.

I'd say find a way to keep the 911 and get a second car to use for the other stuff. Or sell and buy a less expensive Porsche and another car for business.

in don't think Panamera's are either good looking or ugly. They are so unique and individual that they're in their own category. And for that reason alone I like them. They also have undoubted road presence and a real premium quality luxury brand vibe. They're cool cars. Was the Citroen DS a beautiful car? Really? Or just a really cool car. Slowly but surely the idea that the traditional three box shape is the kind doyen or oracle of luxury saloon aesthetics is dying. Conservatives are clinging on zealously to the idea but SUV's have dealt a huge blow. New and innovative ideas will further erode the three box mindset. Cars like Audi A7's, Jag XJ's + BMW X6 are further signs of consumers looking for alternatives. I like the fact that the Panamera is so unique. And it does say Porsche. When I look at a Jaguar XF I think it could be anything from anywhere, Japanese, American etc. The last thing it looks like is a Jaguar.

love my cayenne, on my third one now ! i have managed to keep the 911 and own a cayenne by buying one on a 04 plate, you get so much car for not a lot of cash, also i have LPG conversion, so you get the best of both worlds and a mpg return of around 30mpg :) not bad for a 4.5 v8 petrol beast..

Build quality of the Cayenne is the same as Panamera and much better than a Range Rover. Lots of quality issues on all RR products, always has been.

If you want 4wd, a raised driving position and a great family car get a 2010 on cayenne. Superb car around. Try and get pasm if wheels are 20 inch and above.

9114S said:
Hi all,

Am considering changing my current 997.2 and have been looking at a couple of possible options. For both business and family reasons I need something with 4 doors, but am keen to keep to the Porsche brand so considering a Cayenne. Unfortunately buying a 4 door car and keeping the 911 is not an option at the current time.

Firstly, would welcone views from anyone that has owned/owns a Cayenne (looking at the 4.8 petrol rather than a diesel, prob 2007-2009 model). What are they like to own, anything in particular to watch out for?

Secondly, have been talkng to the guys at RSJ and have identifed a car I am potentially interested in that comes with the RSJ one year warranty. Only spoken on the phone so far but first impressions are first class. Looking at Forum comments on here, they seem to have a great reputation. Again, woud welcome any views or experiences including any experience of using the warranty.

Thanks in advance and will keep you posted with any developments.

My business partner has a Cayenne S 2007 model. I had a ride in it for the first time on Friday. The car felt tight and responsive and very Porsche-like, if that makes sense. His spec is steel springs, 21" GTS wheels, black on black. It looks good and goes well. It is thirsty but he can't stop booting it in order to listen to the V8!

RSJ is a fantastic place to buy from. I bought my turbo back in 2012, I still have the car. The guys at RSJ went the proverbial extra mile to help me buy my car, I can't recommend them highly enough.

Mike

Coming from a 996TT myself I'd recommend the Cayenne TT, as close as you'll get to the 996 push in an SUV. Handling is ok for a 2.5 tonne monster but no substitute for a 911 :sad:

Fokker said:
Build quality of the Cayenne is the same as Panamera and much better than a Range Rover. Lots of quality issues on all RR products, always has been.

If you want 4wd, a raised driving position and a great family car get a 2010 on cayenne. Superb car around. Try and get pasm if wheels are 20 inch and above.

Having had 2 Cayennes and 2 Panameras, I don't think that the interior quality on the Cayenne matches up to the Panamera - its very close but just not quite as good.
Can't really put my finger on why, but everyone thats been in all of my cars thought the same.

just my 2p
and I dont have a panamera any more !

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gpc
Back