Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997 Turbo....

sebba

Hi - long time lurker, first time poster so please be gentle..... :)

I have been looking for a 997.1 turbo for a couple of months now but not having much luck - either not quite what I am after or high mileage or a lot of the times...both...

Just wanted to see how long (generally) you guys took to find yours?? I don't see myself as a particularly fussy bloke (don't mind a tip etc) but (without getting into the whole "good investment" debate), it seems that some are really priced high for what they are (i.e. condition etc)...

I guess I am asking whether I should stop waiting & just "settle" for one of the higher mileage car (that I am not completely averse to) that meets the spec... :eek:

Hi sebba and :welcome:

What is your budget?

Well, I need to start by letting you know that high mileage Tip's are the greatest 997 Turbo that you can get. :D

To be honest its probably like most cars - there are some around that are a bit ropey but people still attempting to get good money for them. Keep shopping, you'll find one eventually. I took ages over my hunt but got there in the end. Mine (as you may have guessed) is higher miles (85k) but is high spec and flawless history. I wouldn't swap a mileage reduction for either of those two things.

apollokre1d said:
Hi sebba and :welcome:

What is your budget?

I want to stay sub 50k - maybe my expectations are too high..... :?

I know I should have asked this first but what is considered high mileage?

As I mentioned I have no issues with mileage (I buy on condition rather than mileage) but having said that I don't want to be lumbered with a car I can't get rid of cause of market is obsessed with mileage...

I have noticed that the lower mileage cars (i.e. sub 40k) go much faster than the higher mileage - probably cause the higher mileage isn't really reflected in the price

Hi sebba,

:welcome: to 911uk

I started looking seriously at 997Ts in January as a possible replacement for my 996T and quickly got excited about the way they were still depreciating (albeit very slowly) whilst asking prices for 996Ts were increasing.

The average mileage for a watercooled 911 is about 7.5k p.a so the cheapest around were early cars with 70k+ miles being advertised for around £36k.

At that time the price range for Gen1 cars was clearly mileage and, to a lesser extent, age dependant at £36k-£48k with a lot of cars around in the £39,995 - £43,995 bracket. There didn't seem to be much difference in price for Manual or Tips.

In the middle of February I stumbled across an advert for a car local to me and because it was Guards Red I thought I'd be safe in just going to view it to ascertain whether I'd ever be able to justify the difference in £'s over my 996T.

After an hour looking over the car I decided that I definitely wanted one asap and was disappointed that this below average mileage (48k in 8 years), fpsh car in very good condition was the colour it was - especially as it was spot-on price wise at £42k.

Fortunately I had my wife with me. She's never like Porsches, especially 911s, so for her to say "that one's actually quite nice" was a surprise so I booked a test drive for a couple of days later and went home to dig out all the all road tests I could find. During that last minute research I realised just how many launch/test cars were red and remembered just how nice I thought they looked at the time.

Seeing the car in proper daylight and test driving it convinced me that this was the car for me and I made an offer - subject to some service/warranty conditions that I wanted agreed - straight away.

Since then I've followed 997T prices closely and am pleased to see that having bottomed out at the start of the year they've now bounced back a bit. As you're finding the £36k-£48k range is now more like £40k-£52k.

With 996T prices sticking at £30k-£40k I'm confident that 997T values will hold for the foreseeable future and actually I'd be surprised if they ever drop again.

Good Luck with your search. They are great cars. :thumb:

T8 said:
Hi sebba,

:welcome: to 911uk

I started looking seriously at 997Ts in January as a possible replacement for my 996T and quickly got excited about the way they were still depreciating (albeit very slowly) whilst asking prices for 996Ts were increasing.

The average mileage for a watercooled 911 is about 7.5k p.a so the cheapest around were early cars with 70k+ miles being advertised for around £36k.

At that time the price range for Gen1 cars was clearly mileage and, to a lesser extent, age dependant at £36k-£48k with a lot of cars around in the £39,995 - £43,995 bracket. There didn't seem to be much difference in price for Manual or Tips.

In the middle of February I stumbled across an advert for a car local to me and because it was Guards Red I thought I'd be safe in just going to view it to ascertain whether I'd ever be able to justify the difference in £'s over my 996T.

After an hour looking over the car I decided that I definitely wanted one asap and was disappointed that this below average mileage (48k in 8 years), fpsh car in very good condition was the colour it was - especially as it was spot-on price wise at £42k.

Fortunately I had my wife with me. She's never like Porsches, especially 911s, so for her to say "that one's actually quite nice" was a surprise so I booked a test drive for a couple of days later and went home to dig out all the all road tests I could find. During that last minute research I realised just how many launch/test cars were red and remembered just how nice I thought they looked at the time.

Seeing the car in proper daylight and test driving it convinced me that this was the car for me and I made an offer - subject to some service/warranty conditions that I wanted agreed - straight away.

Since then I've followed 997T prices closely and am pleased to see that having bottomed out at the start of the year they've now bounced back a bit. As you're finding the £36k-£48k range is now more like £40k-£52k.

With 996T prices sticking at £30k-£40k I'm confident that 997T values will hold for the foreseeable future and actually I'd be surprised if they ever drop again.

Good Luck with your search. They are great cars. :thumb:

That's a brilliant write up - thanks for that.....you highlighted so many observations that I have also noticed (eg the myth around the price variation between manual & tips).....

With all the comments, maybe I should not fear too much about going for a car with 48-50k on the clock if the spec is right (after all it is average mileage for a car this age...)

sebba said:
With all the comments, maybe I should not fear too much about going for a car with 48-50k on the clock if the spec is right (after all it is average mileage for a car this age...)

This thread is a couple of years out of date but the gist still stands.

==> The average mileage of a 997

NB: The figures were specifically for Carreras but I did notice at the time that the equivalent mileage of Turbo cars did seem to be a tad higher.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gpc
Back