Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Off the lights.. who tries it with you?

jm24

Monza
Perhaps a bit of a chavy topic for a 911 forum but I'm sure the boy racer is still alive in many of us. Sometimes hard to resist someone who wants to give it a try at the lights. The other day a guy in a VW Toureg wanted a go - actually he wasn't slow as was a V8 twin turbo. Personally I don't see the point of so much power in a car set up more like a tractor unless you're towing but each to their own. Any good off the lights anecdotes/brags? :bandit:

I regularly take down golf gtis and the like and give them a surprise . . . In the wife's Nissan Leaf :thumb:

I do if I get chance. I usually take the reg plate too so that I can check out model/engine/power/etc. when I get home.
The other week I was giving a couple of mates a lift (one of which was quite hefty in weight), pulled up at the lights on a dual carriageway when an A5 3.0tdi Quattro pulled up (0-60 in 5.7) in the right hand lane.
I could tell by the sly look and cheeky grin he gave me whilst we waited that he was up for it. Lights changed and off we blasted. I must admit, he was quick but once we hit about 40mph he started to fall behind me. You could definitely tell it was a turbo diesel vs. a petrol by the delivery of power at different rev ranges and the timings of the gear changes. He was half a gear in front of me on every change (ie. changing into 3rd whilst I was half way through 2nd).
It was much fun and afterwards he gave me a flash, wave and smile.

Never been my thing the traffic light GP. I've had a couple of dual carriageway roll on blasts, which usually end when you get north of 130. Even turbo'd hatches fall back when 3 figures are reached, and they give up. Their little cars are becoming unstable whilst mine is just waking up. Either that or their balls weren't as big as their ego's.

Shurv said:
Never been my thing the traffic light GP. I've had a couple of dual carriageway roll on blasts, which usually end when you get north of 130. Even turbo'd hatches fall back when 3 figures are reached, and they give up. Their little cars are becoming unstable whilst mine is just waking up. Either that or their balls weren't as big as their ego's.

Maybe they just didn't want to go to prison!!

Yikes! At that sort of speed you are into disqualification and/or prison sentence and perhaps a charge of dangerous driving.

In North Wales you'd have a high chance of getting done with their unmarked cars with laser traps and the use of a horse box with no markings in which they erect a laser camera on a tripod!

It's just not worth it. I have a few dog-fights on Cheshire roads but now I cannot live with the anxiety of a possible ticket for two weeks. So I am much more restrained with my driving. That's why I'd like to plan a European trip next year on the autobahns to get the thrill of the capabilities of the Turbo.

Every car it seems, though I just can't be arsed.

Not just from the lights either. On the way back from Anglesey, a Golf R repeatedly pulled alongside and blasted away from me. I just yawned each time and left it on cruise control. Golf Rs are quick, but from 75 up, the turbo would nuke it!

:oops: I hit 3 figures most times I nip to the shop.

If I'm riding my bike I spend most of my time being 'challenged' by Porsche/sports car drivers. When I'm out in the Porsche Spend most of my time being 'challenged' by sports bikes........all in good humour off course.

Must be my driving style.......

Much more fun pulling away from the booths on the M6 toll.

Lots of things try it on, bikes are the best fun, had a GSXR1000 and had a good rip with him.

Usually a vauxhall corsa, I just ignore them, whats the point?

Matt-A said:
Much more fun pulling away from the booths on the M6 toll.

Sorry to say this but..... I once gave a 996 quite a scare pulling off from the toll - I was in my A8 4.2 tdi (chipped to 375bhp). Poor fella couldn't quite believe what he was seeing. To be fair the V8 was a beast.

How much cost a gearbox rebuild again ?
I find the 996TT pretty rubbish to launch of the line.
I had an Audi RS4 bi turbo highly tuned.......that was a killer !!
Easy to launch too. !!!!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
barrywhite
Back