Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

sports plus button retrofit

Ray O

Does anyone know if you can retrofit the sports plus feature on a 911S? I know that you can on a 997.2. This is shown on the tequipment page but not shown for the 991. As it is only a button and a software adjustment I cannot see why not?? it also looks very reasonable at about £625

No you can't add it at a later date. There are a lot of different components. Its not just a software update and a little clock in the dash.

I understand that by it can be done on the 997 so why not on the 991?

I'm currently looking at 981 Boxsters and I asked a similar question because it's hard to find a used car with the right spec. I was told it's not possible to do it. Not sure why and I'd still make a call to OPC if I were you to clarify. It was a sales person who told me so they could be mistaken.

For the record the sport chrono retrofit in the 997.2 did not include the clock.

The biggest issue is the PDEM, Porsche Dynamic Engine Mounts. They make a big difference.

Porsche Dynamic Engine Mount System Explained

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0keZWIdwno

Maybe they can be retrofitted. The rest of the stuff is just software.

Analogue and digital stopwatch, SPORT PLUS button on centre console, even sportier tuning of throttle response and systems such as PSM and PASM, throttle-blip downshifts, sports performance shift indicator on the TFT display in the instrument cluster (for manual transmission only). Additionally in conjunction with PDK: activation of the Launch Control function (racing start) and motorsport-derived gearshift strategy via the SPORT PLUS button, additional SPORT, SPORT PLUS and Launch Control display on the steering wheel. Additional performance display in conjunction with Porsche Communication Management (PCM)

i spoke to the OPC at Hatfield and also at West London and both said it was not YET available but could be in the future. They suggested that I continue to check the tequipment online catalogue

i had a Cayman as a courtesy car recently wth sportsplus and I must be honest, I could not feel any difference between sports and sportsplus.I am sure there was but not so much that I actually noticed.

on a 991 there is a sport button
on a 997 there isn't,
when you retrofitted sports plus to a 997 you got the sport button and a sport plus button and the associated software tweeks
Porsche have effectively made sport standard on a 991 so no need to offer sport plus as a retrofit?

Mark,

So you don't think it will be offered as a retrofit?

Is there really much of a difference between sport and sport plus on a 991?

Ray O said:
Mark,

So you don't think it will be offered as a retrofit?

Is there really much of a difference between sport and sport plus on a 991?

The difference is:
Porsche Dynamic Engine Mount System
Analogue and digital stopwatch, SPORT PLUS button on centre console, even sportier tuning of throttle response and systems such as PSM and PASM, throttle-blip downshifts, sports performance shift indicator on the TFT display in the instrument cluster (for manual transmission only). Additionally in conjunction with PDK: activation of the Launch Control function (racing start) and motorsport-derived gearshift strategy via the SPORT PLUS button, additional SPORT, SPORT PLUS and Launch Control display on the steering wheel. Additional performance display in conjunction with Porsche Communication Management (PCM)

There is a noticeable difference between sport and sport+. The PSM is more subtle, the gear changes are faster and harder (with PDK), the ride is firmer. Each gear is pretty much red lined before changing. In auto mode it's impractical on the road. Yeah you get launch control, but hey how often are you going too use that?

I think the most important thing about sport+ for most people is that it uses up another blank space on the center console. haha..... and WHAT are those 3 empty spaces for?

Pretty much anything can be retrofitted. You could get the PDEMS system from a write off and have it fitted and then maybe upload the software updates. But it would it be worth it ? Only you can decide that.

Sounds totally impractical for the road. A bit childish maybe but I guess i just want it because I don't have it but cannot see that I would ever actually use it.

Ray O said:
Sounds totally impractical for the road. A bit childish maybe but I guess i just want it because I don't have it but cannot see that I would ever actually use it.

You hit the nail on the head...

Ray O said:

Regularly use Sports+ mode - puts the PDK box onto a different plane.

Especially good on favourite sections of road and in overtaking situations. So not as impractical as you might think.

For what its worth, having had Sports Chrono on my last two cars, I wouldn't buy a 911 without it.

The Dynamic Engine Mounts are a work of genius and a 911 without them is missing out.

Tom

findtom said:
For what its worth, having had Sports Chrono on my last two cars, I wouldn't buy a 911 without it.

The Dynamic Engine Mounts are a work of genius and a 911 without them is missing out.

Tom

Totally agree and pdcc too....

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
briant1000
Back