Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Buying my first 911 help :(

GeoPorsche

All,

Apologies if this has been covered before, feel free to bash me and point me in the right direction.

I have dilemma...I have my sight on a 2007 911 997 Carrera S...

Now, I have found a 2007 Porsche Carrera with very low mileage (22k) and one previous owner with full history selling for 33k but its not a S! Initially I thought this was too good to be true, but now sceptical that given its not a S model that it is not worth it. Unfortunately, I don't know enough about porsches to understand if the S is far superior or not? The selling point of the S was the xenon headlights, the sports exhaust, suspension etc but does this get trumped by finding a Carrera in such a good state with such low mileage?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Sorry if the message sounded disjointed.

Regards,

Geo

I wasn't bothered about an S , on paper it shows point something /nothing speed difference that youll never notice , in fact my non S seems to leave my neighbours S behind whenever we happen to duel :?:

At the time of picking my car i went for it because its the highest specced car possible with everything inc areo kit , and at the time i was informed th 3.6 is a stronger engine, and
somewhere it was published and i read that the S was a gimmick for usa and uk , it was never done in germany.
(I not saying that's all fact it just what i found on the researching i did)

Which convinced me not to worry and buy my Car

As standard you get some extras with an S but the non S car could be specced the same or higher , so just check the speccs :thumb:

Hi GeoPorsche and welcome to the forum. Best advice is drive it and see if you like it. Mine's a non-S Gen2 997 and it's got a fantastic engine but it sounds like you're looking at a Gen1. Try it.

Thanks for such a helpful and quick response.

Yes as you mentioned it is the Gen1 model. Another dealer put the worry in my head when he said "Don't even consider a standard Carrera, they are very hard to sell and no one wants them!", I assume I got this response as they only stock S listed Porsches. I know this is a big ask, but does 33k sound reasonable for the Carrera I listed? Porsche said I would get a 2 year warranty as well.

I just was pretty amazed at such a low mileage and only one previous owner which was the sell.

Rockunrolla - is yours also a Gen1 model?

Yes its a 2007 Gen1

Edit - ill have a look on porsche site at what your looking at and see if its missing anything

Edit 2 - can only find an 07 in blue with 32,000miles for 33k , if thats the one , then no sports seats no heated seats , no chrono pack !!!

I walked into the dealership literally when it was dropped off by a customer looking to upgrade. Its going through the workshop today before I can get a test drive later on this week, so it hasn't been put up on the website yet.

I will ask for a full specification (22k miles) once I get the telephone call. I don't believe it had a chrono pack, is this a must have?

Thanks again :)

GeoPorsche said:
I walked into the dealership literally when it was dropped off by a customer looking to upgrade. Its going through the workshop today before I can get a test drive later on this week, so it hasn't been put up on the website yet.

I will ask for a full specification (22k miles) once I get the telephone call. I don't believe it had a chrono pack, is this a must have?

Thanks again :)

For me its a Must have ,but if the cars right in every other way then i wouldnt just not buy it because of that ,,, maybe use it as a negotiator or see if they will fit it :?:

Do bear in mind though that red ones are faster.

Fox Terrier said:
Do bear in mind though that red ones are faster.
Of course they are. :D

EDIT: No pics today. My picture license has been revoked by my wife. :roll:

33k for a gen 1 is strong money IMO but prices seems to be on the increase. I would personally get a higher milage gen 2 that way your have no Bore Scoring worries at all. Also the standard gen 2 Carrera had very similar output to the gen 1 S, so best of both worlds.

Personally I would not buy a Non-S just on the basis the S comes with so much more standard spec. But if you can source a non-s with awesome spec such as PSE, Aero etc then thats a no brainer.

Just buy the best car you can for your budget , miles are not everything some early gen 1's are 11 years old now. If you go down the gen 1 route trying get an 06 (March) onwards due to the uprated IMS.

There's quite a few dealers who will not touch a gen 1 3.8S. The gen 1 3.6 Carrera is meant to be far more reliable. :thumbs:

I haven't looked but surely for £33k you can find a gen 2 997?

Having said that if its from an OPC and with a 2 year warranty then I wouldn't bother so much about the gen 1/2 and I would care even less about the S / non-S

However if it is without an OPC warranty then I personally would not part with £33k for a 997.1 even with a clean borescope. The amount of time I spent with my 4S just thinking about scoring was a real taint to the ownership experience unfortunately.

If it was £20k I may consider it but £33k is a fair chunk of change to potentially have some major issues isn't it...

EDIT - I've just read this back and realised it sounds as though I'm jumping on (or propagating) the bore-scoring bandwagon and I hate that.

IMI A said:
There's quite a few dealers who will not touch a gen 1 3.8S. The gen 1 3.6 Carrera is meant to be far more reliable. :thumbs:
I know. I wish these dealers would make up their minds.

Some won't touch a non-S because apparently no one wants them as they don't have all the additional options, PASM, bigger brakes etc. And some won't touch an S because of perceived engine issues. Which are rare, albeit serious.

I agree with Rockunrolla as you can narrow your search based upon specification. A non-S with Sport Suspension and LSD would be higher on my list than an S with PASM.

Otherwise you could just buy the best one you can find based upon price, history, condition and mileage, in that order, and then retrofit as many things as you fancy other than the engine. I did. :D

My list:

PSE
Turbo Wheels
PCM Navigation
Sport Steering Wheel
Galvano Silver Trim
Painted Rear Console
Adaptive Sports Seats
Embossed Head Rests
Painted Seat Backs
Cruise Control
Short Shift Kit
Third Radiator
ISO Fix Front Seat
Aerokit Front Bumper Lining
Painted GTS Side Skirts
PASM

And probably some others which I've forgotten. :dont know:

Still to be completed:

Seat Heating
Headlamp Wash - All parts ready.

The build sticker is a bit redundant. And I know I won't recoup any of the cost on resale, however, I have the original parts.

Wow a lot of information to process. I haven't come across this bore scoring issue before but have done some reading up on it. I wish I could find a gem 2 for 33-35k but haven't found any dealers selling it in that range.

Rag - it looks like I will get the two years with opc but it seems the price of 33k might be quite high compared to what I'm reading for a car with limited additional spec.

Hmm could be back to the drawing board!

Take your time. Do your research. Then, if you're like me you'll get bored and buy the next one you see. Luckily mine's turned out to be a belter. Gen 2 non-S PDK.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atlas.997
Back