Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Mini Restoration

stiffler69

Started out with a cheap boxster s, paint was tired wheels where flaking, and generally it was a little unloved. That been said it was a very solid car with no rust and the under body is in great condition

WOW !

Superb refresh of the car. :thumb:

Prepared to give any indication of budget ?

Thanks and yeah sure

up to now body work wise

£200 for colour change and powder coating of the wheels,

£1000 for respray

Upgraded stereo system to a modern usb, bluethooth telephone unit keeping all original wiring and using the original amplifier. This only cost me around £50 as the old becker units sell for good money on ebay.

I have changed some wear and tear parts drop links, lower arms, innner tie roads, and track rod ends aswell as a water pump and radiator cap. About £450 in this little lot. But i dont really like to count this stuff as it comes with any vehicle of this kind of age.

Forgot to add its had a euro gt panel filter fitted also £45

Still to do

Due its service
New roof burgundy colour with glass insert rear window
Brake calipers to be cleaned and a fresh coat of high temp clear
New stainless exhaust system (manifold as well)
Maybe a tune
and 17mm spacers all round

About another £1500 to spend maybe give or take, but these parts are more wants than necessity

Possibly if the clutch starts to play up which it is not yet, i will get the uprated ims bearing

Nice looking motor. I had a 986, it was my first Porsche. It was a bit of a shed but I fixed it up nicely. Fitted a facelift roof that I bought on ebay to get the glass window. Cost about the same as getting a new roof fabric at the time.

Yeah my 986s was my first Porsche too. Seal grey with GT3 wheels.

Its the only car I've ever regretted selling. I'd have another one without hesitation.

The guy i sold it to was pulling out of a Peugeot main dealer (? why?) in it and got T-boned a month or two ago. Written off. :sad:

I should have kept it, it never went to such places during my ownership...

Anyway back on track - a cracking write up so far OP! Great to see these cars being looked after because they are great little motors! :thumb:

stiffler69 said:
Thanks and yeah sure

up to now body work wise

£1000 for respray

Upgraded stereo system to a modern usb, bluethooth telephone unit keeping all original wiring and using the original amplifier. This only cost me around £50 as the old becker units sell for good money on ebay.

I have changed some wear and tear parts drop links, lower arms, innner tie roads, and track rod ends aswell as a water pump and radiator cap. About £450 in this little lot. But i dont really like to count this stuff as it comes with any vehicle of this kind of age.

Still to do

Due its service
Maybe a tune

About another £1500 to spend maybe give or take, but these parts are more wants than necessity

Possibly if the clutch starts to play up which it is not yet, i will get the uprated ims bearing

First of, your car looks great and will look very nice with a burgundy roof. £1k for the respray sounds cheap. It's that a trade price?

I saw a boxstet in the sound of France a few weeks back and I'm seriously thinking of getting one to blast around. :thumb:

I bought a 986 Boxster when they first came out.Silver with metropole leather.
Its easy to forget what a big thing these cars were when they were launched.A genuine game changer and much anticipated.
I absolutely loved ours and to be honest I am going to keep my eyes open in winter for a 2.5 986 to tidy up.Nice work on that one. :thumb:

Dream911 said:
stiffler69 said:
Thanks and yeah sure

up to now body work wise

£1000 for respray

Still to do

Due its service
Maybe a tune

First of, your car looks great and will look very nice with a burgundy roof. £1k for the respray sounds cheap. It's that a trade price?

I saw a boxstet in the sound of France a few weeks back and I'm seriously thinking of getting one to blast around. :thumb:

No it was not trade, the car was not in need of much repairs, all the panels where straight, and no filler required so it was just a case of a rub down and repaint.

Im loving the boxster at the moment and it is my first porsche to, been one of these people who always considered them to be the poor mans 911 i definately do not think in that mind set any more i absolutely love the car and so does the wife!

Thanks for the kind replys everyone :thumb:

Couple of updates

Today i read about the desnorkle mod, so i went for it

This is the only part i could get to come lose hope its the correct part lol

Got some leather die to apply to my leather as some areas it was showing signs of wear

Also ordered a new key case from ebay so now have a key without tape wrapped around it!

Loads more to come

Yep, thats definitely the right bit!

I took the whole airbox out, put a load of silicone hoses together with a cone air filter on the end and ran it through to the throttle body off the Cayman S/996.1. I also had the plenum for the 996.1 and had some silicone reducers to make it fit onto the inlet manifold.

It totally transformed the throttle response and the intake note. A must do mod in my book!

Have a look on Boxa.net and search for the throttle body mod. You'll probably dig up my old thread!

ragpicker said:
Yep, thats definitely the right bit!

I took the whole airbox out, put a load of silicone hoses together with a cone air filter on the end and ran it through to the throttle body off the Cayman S/996.1. I also had the plenum for the 996.1 and had some silicone reducers to make it fit onto the inlet manifold.

It totally transformed the throttle response and the intake note. A must do mod in my book!

Have a look on Boxa.net and search for the throttle body mod. You'll probably dig up my old thread!

Thanks i have took a quick look cant find the thread yet but will keep searching

Thanks for the links, some good read's

Today i gave the car a mini detail and applied some lifeshine protection by autoglym

The body shop told me to wait a week to ten days to let the paint fully harden. So i went bareback all week what was killing me as i dont work in the greatest of places for cars paint!

Can anyone recommend some where for clutch and ims bearing replacement.

I dont need it doing i just want to get it done as a preventative measure

Thanks in advance

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Monkey
Back