Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Thank heavens for a Porsche Warranty

T8

Super Moderator
Fortunately before I bought my car I persuaded the previous owner to get a Porsche warranty on it.

This leak (it's only 'misting', no drips) is apparently from a part of the Tiptronic gearbox that cannot be replaced.

Consequently a new box is in the process of being installed.

I wonder how much having the warranty has saved me. :?: :dont know:

Lucky man Terry, very lucky man. :thumb:

Well, I think it probably could be replaced (as once you get out of the dealer network these tip boxes are easily opened up and bits replaced/changed), but as it is under warranty they wont do anything with the box as its a merc part. Its a replace only item. The 996 turbo tip box is £12k (or at least it was when they were replaced under warranty by OPC in the past).

Anyway, its certainly saved you a pretty penny there mate!

:thumb:

Terry, sorry to hear about the box, but glad you're getting it sorted under warranty. :lol:

Sometimes get the feeling that some people on this forum think Porsche warranty is money not wisely spent - even if the probability of this happening on my car was only 1 in 100, I would still spend the £1100 per year in a heart beat.

So, in my mind at least, further evidence of the value of a Porsche Warranty. :thumb:

Great for you that it is being sorted. But you haven't saved £12k. I would have put up with it without a warranty, and at resale taken a hit of a few £hundred for the leak. If it was a keeper then a proper fix during other servicing could be sensible.
MC

996ttalot said:
Well Porsche replace the box, we replace the gaskets - we had them made because they are not available from Porsche. So in the real world the cost is £1395+vat sorted, or in the Porsche Land it is 5 figures. :D

Anyway good result for you.

MisterCorn said:
Great for you that it is being sorted. But you haven't saved £12k. I would have put up with it without a warranty, and at resale taken a hit of a few £hundred for the leak. If it was a keeper then a proper fix during other servicing could be sensible.
MC

Agree with this... A great result, but why replace a gearbox when its just the gaskets (that you can buy from Porsche I am sure) that need replacing? I'm not convinced that's a case to have a Porsche warranty.

The box is a mercedes box, ANY trans guy who builds merc boxes will have the gasket, Porsche are a joke saying the box needs changing, its an easy fix and normally caused by a worn gearbox mount, so if they havent changed that the problem will come back one day.

Gaskets available here
http://www.importperformancetrans.com/index.php?l=search_list&s[search]=996+tiptronic&s[title]=Y&s[short_desc]=Y&s[full_desc]=Y&s[sku]=Y&s[match]=all

Thread here
http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...repair-need-mounts-transfer-case-gaskets.html

Pelican do the gasket which was leaking for about $4 !!!!!!!

Way to go Porsche !!!!!

For the record when that picture was taken the techie looking at it did say that if it was just that gasket [where there appears to be a lot of oil] then it would be a job they'd do but if it was actually leaking higher up and running down to that point then it would need a replacement box.

When I took it on Monday they were going to clean it, run it and see where it was coming from. On Wednesday I got the call to say it was getting a new 'box.

Theres 2 gaskets at the back of the box, its a simple job. I wonder what they do with the old boxes if theres no gaskets available :dont know: :?: :eh!:

Well either way ....... it is a good result for our Terry ........ :)

JohnnyDangerous said:
Theres 2 gaskets at the back of the box, its a simple job. I wonder what they do with the old boxes if theres no gaskets available :dont know: :?: :eh!:

I was thinking the exact same thing........someone could be about to make a few quid 'gaming' the system inside the OPC network...... :?:

But for you Terry who cares...? Peace of mind indeed :thumb:

Btw can you explain the line 'I persuaded the previous owner'...? Did you haggle it as a condition of sale in other words....? If it's £1100 that's a really good bargaining point indeed - nice one and as Wasz says brilliant for the history file :grin:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smiggles772
Back