Welcome to 911UK
The only place for Porsche, 911uk is the definitive enthusiast and resource site for the Porsche 911.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so join up today for full access to the site and benefit from latest member offers.

Porsche Classifieds
Sell Your Porsche on 911uk
Create a Free Classified Advert
Search Ads
Classified Adverts FAQ
Trade Classified Information
Buyer & Seller Fraud Protection
Consumer Rights Act
Pre Purchase Inspection (PPI)
Porsche Car Sourcing
Porsche Cars Wanted
Official Porsche Centre Reviews
Model
Stock
Porsche 911
991 : 2011- 21
997 : 2004- 69
996 : 1997-2005 35
993 : 1993-1998 2
964 : 1989-1993 3
Carrera 3.2 : 1983-1989 2
Carrera SC : 1977-1983 1
930 Turbo : 1975-1989 0
Early 911 : 1964-1977 0
Porsche Other Models
Classic : 1950-1965 0
Boxster : 1997- 22
Cayman : 2005- 13
Cayenne : 2003- 2
Macan : 2014- 2
Panamera : 2009- 2
912-914-924-928-944-968 2
959 - CarreraGT - RaceCar 0
Car Parts For Sale & Wanted
Other Items For Sale & Wanted
Wheels Tyres For Sale & Wanted
Number Plates For Sale Wanted

Porsche Services
Porsche Body Shop Repair
Paint Protection & Wrapping
Porsche Classic Insurance
Porsche Classic Parts
Porsche Classic Restoration
Porsche Design Collection
Porsche Engine Gearbox Rebuild
Porsche Heritage & History
Porsche News
Porsche Picture Gallery
Win a New Porsche 911

Porsche Parts
Body Parts, Body Styling
Brakes, Clearance
Electrical, Exhausts
Engine Cooling, Engine Electrical
Engine Rebuild, Heating Cooling
Interior Incar, Lighting
Rubber Seals, Service Parts
Steering, Suspension
Transmission, Workshop Tools
Early 911, 911 - 930, 928 - 968
964 - 993, 996 - 997, Boxster
Cayman, Cayenne, Panamera

Porsche Model Range
911 [991] 2011-Current
Porsche 911 [991]
911 [997] 2004-Current
Porsche 911 [997]
911 [GT] GT1-GT2-GT3
Porsche 911 [GT]
911 [996] 1997-2005
Porsche 911 [996]
911 [993] 1993-1998
Porsche 911 [993]
911 [RS] RS-RSR
Porsche 911 [RS]
911 [964] 1989-1993
Porsche 911 [964]
911 3.2 1983-1989
Porsche 911 3.2 Carrera
911 SC 1977-1983
Porsche 911 SC
911 [Early] 1964-1977
Porsche 911 [Early]
Boxster & Cayman
Porsche Boxster & Cayman
Cayenne & Panamera
Porsche Cayenne & Panamera

911uk Site Partners

plavix
Kyalami

2006 Porsche 997 Carrera 4

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 7:13 pm    Post subject: OPC Solihull - Rant Reply with quote

I've decided that OPC Solihull, a Sytner Franchise, will not be receiving any of my business in the future. You can make your own decisions based on the below.

My colleague and I, who is 22 and drives a 135M and was driving, decided we would stop by OPC Solihull on the way back from Alcester as a friend of mine was having tyres fitted to his 981 Boxster S. As usual I'm in jeans and T-shirt, he is actually in a suit.

I walk in, ignoring the Carrera GT as I'm not a teenager, my colleague stops to get a closer look. I wander by the reception desk, having seen my friend, I smile and state we're here to see a friend, who I gesticulate to, who is having his car serviced and keep walking. We both reach my friend, I go to make coffee for us both.

We were there for about an hour, I had one coffee, my colleague two. I ate two minuscule pieces of flapjack and my colleague ate three, he's six foot plus so needs feeding constantly. We had a wander around the cars, talked about them a bit. My colleague said he liked the Cayman S. I wandered outside for five minutes to have a cigarette, leaving my colleague with my friend.

An owner of a 991 arrived just before I went back in. I reached the coffee area and leaned on the worktop, deciding if we were going to leave. The receptionist comes up, with the recently arrived customer. She states "have you eaten all of the flapjacks"? I'm a bit shocked by this as the tone was more accusatory than playful and say "no". I apologise and say, "oh, I guess I had better move away from them then".

She then proceeds to ask, "Did you find Dave, in customer service"? I looked a little nonplussed and say, "I did not say Dave when I arrived, I said my friend". I got the feeling she was implying that we were not actually there to see anyone. I gesticulated to my friend, having tyres fitted. As I moved around the counter I said that Sutton Coldfield are much nicer. Which I know she heard, as two minutes later, having dealt with the customer, she tried to be far friendlier by asking, "have you had a drink"?

Not once did anyone come to speak to myself of my colleague earlier, and he's really got his heart set on a Cayman S. Overall the experience was unwelcoming, unfriendly and unprofessional. When I buy my next car, it will not be from OPC Solihull.

Of course the above is only my opinion, perhaps I'm over-reacting? I'm in my forties now, where I don't expect people to be obsequious, quite the opposite in actual fact, I don't expect to be made to feel uncomfortable. Fair enough, there are expensive cars, people moving around and keys being moved from place to place, therefore you can expect a heightened sense of vigilance. In the defence of the receptionist perhaps she had not seen us talking to someone who was a customer?

As for the effing flapjacks I'm inclined to drop a kilogram of them off at the dealership tomorrow with instructions that the question should have been "would you like me to fill the flapjacks up for you". Immediately eliciting the correct response of "no" and being apologetic that we've eaten five tiny morsels between us!

DRZ911
Barcelona

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Certainly not a positive Customer experience by any means. nooo

kas750
Reims

2006 Porsche 911

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am in my forties also and personally I would just laugh that off.

GP41
Nürburgring

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Floor

Sorry, in so many ways this isn't funny but me and my wife have just been laughing at the thought of you turning up with a kilo of flapjacks.

Unfortunately, it seems to be the way things are heading. 10 years ago you'd go into an OPC and be made to feel welcome, regardless of attire and treated with respect, regardless of your apparent position in society. Hey ho.

[I have to say, up here in the North they've been a pretty friendly bunch so far Smile ]

Last edited by GP41 on Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:00 pm; edited 1 time in total

plavix
Kyalami

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DRZ911 wrote:
Certainly not a positive Customer experience by any means. nooo

Ha, we may not have been 'observed' talking to someone who was a customer, for an hour, but they noticed the effing flapjacks being eaten FFS.
kas750 wrote:
I am in my forties also and personally I would just laugh that off.

I was still in my forties when I went to Sutton Coldfield the first time and every time since. It was a totally different experience.
GP41 wrote:
Floor

Sorry, in so many ways this isn't funny but me and my wife have just been laughing at the thought of you turning up with a kilo of flapjacks.

Floor

I think I'll do it in any case, and take a picture.
GP41 wrote:
Unfortunately, it seems to be the way things are heading. 10 years ago you'd go into an OPC and be made to feel welcome, regardless of attire and treated with respect, regardless of your apparent position in society. Nowadays it seems to be more about the $$$$$ and what your appearance says you can afford to spend with them than about your genuine interest in the marque.

Hey ho.

+1.

I'm neither ostentatious nor elitist. I find overt displays of anything in particular off-putting.

Chief
Magny-Cours

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seth, I know you and am surprised they even let you in!
My business is just down the road from them, if you fancy dropping the flapjack in at mine I'll make you a real nice coffee to go with a slice puh

PeterS
Fuji

2003 Porsche 996 Carrera 2

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel far more comfortable at OPC Sutton Coldfield. I have quite a story to tell (well, several) about Solihull.

The parts guys are fine, the receptionist, whilst not as pretty as SC, is Ok (depending which one it is), in as much as she recognises me and doesn't treat me as something she has found on the bottom of her shoe.

I've never had a coffee at Solihull, never felt like I would be welcome to.

Don't send them any flapjacks. Bring them to the next meet.

MisterCorn
Dijon

2004 Porsche 996 Turbo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you save a flapjack for me please Seth, it will go well with my fizzy water.

MC

plavix
Kyalami

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chief wrote:
Seth, I know you and am surprised they even let you in!

Very Happy

Who the fook is Seth? Is it the weather?

I'll bring treats to the next meet then. food food

Frenchmeister
Barcelona

2004 Porsche 997 Carrera 2S

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The receptionists need to realise that most people who walk through that door probably earn thrice her / his salary as a minimum.
I will not be judged, i could probably fit her house in my extension, most of the time i am in jeans and t shirt with grime under my finger nails.
This is nowt to do what you earn really but judging people, one of the richest cash wise families local to me are in the scrap business.
They look like tramps...................seriously...............completely minted big time !
I worked in London for a while in the 80's i was a construction electrician, walked in to a Lambo Dealership (Drooling) and the people were so welcoming it totally surprised me.
No attitude or questioning looks.
Never judge a book by it's cover !
Take them some flapjack......................cheeky bastards Grin
BMW E46 330i touring M Sport 05 Imola Red 2

isysman
Zolder

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:34 pm    Post subject: Re: OPC Solihull - Rant Reply with quote

plavix wrote:
I've decided that OPC Solihull, a Sytner Franchise, will not be receiving any of my business in the future.

I've had some issues in the past with OPCs. Chester was pretty bad and I moved to Wilmslow. I had an issue with one guy there, he was pretty unprofessional and I let it slip a couple of times but in the end I spoke to the dealer principle. I was writing an article at the time for Porsche Post as well, not that should make any difference.

Anyway I told the dealer principle how I'd been treated by this guy. I was there to collect a part which he gave me for free. Then later the guy called to apologise, but he didn't even do that properly.

Anyway a few months later I went there and he was gone. Not saying it was because of me, most likely a number of complaints like mine.

I'd say don't judge the place by one person, tell them what happened, that you're a good customer and you want better service. I'm sure they'll be helpful.

plavix
Kyalami

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: OPC Solihull - Rant Reply with quote

isysman wrote:
I'd say don't judge the place by one person, tell them what happened, that you're a good customer and you want better service. I'm sure they'll be helpful.

Oh, I agree. But in this case it was not merely an individual. My colleague was desperate to speak to someone about the Cayman S. He spent some time near it. Perhaps a salesperson should have noticed as it was directly in front of the sweat box they were all squeezed in with floor to ceiling glass walls.

isysman
Zolder

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: OPC Solihull - Rant Reply with quote

plavix wrote:
isysman wrote:

Oh, I agree. But in this case it was not merely an individual. My colleague was desperate to speak to someone about the Cayman S. He spent some time near it. Perhaps a salesperson should have noticed as it was directly in front of the sweat box they were all squeezed in with floor to ceiling glass walls.

Hmm it's tricky getting that right. I personally want to be left alone when looking at cars. If I want to talk to someone I will seek someone out. I don't like being molested by sales people.

I am generally left alone at Wilmslow. Maybe a salesman passing might ask if I'm ok from time to time, but not always.

I'd still maintain talking to them about it might yield results. If you feel it's endemic of that dealership take your business elsewhere. You can also contact Porsche Germany as they are representatives of the company to customers. If they get enough complaints they can lose their licence to sell. I was told this by a salesman at a Stratstone Ferrari dealership once.

budflicker
Spa-Francorchamps

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't look like your average hooray henry or aristocrat to say the least but I have had nothing but 1st rate service whenever i've been into Porsche Tonbridge.

SEE YA
Barcelona

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

budflicker wrote:
I don't look like your average hooray henry or aristocrat to say the least but I have had nothing but 1st rate service whenever i've been into Porsche Tonbridge.

Was some nice eye candy, at the front desk at Tonbridge OPC.
A bit off topic I know.

Wink

SEE YA

cheshire911
Estoril

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

who is Seth? Pop Corn

Slayer
Indianapolis

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been asked by an OPC salesman when I wanted to test drive a Turbo: 'Have you got enough money to put a deposit in!' (I will keep the dealer anonymous)

Walked away..never bought anymore from him. nooo

T-shirt / jeans scenario as well puh
Golf R FL 7.5, A45 AMG FL, Golf R , Golf GT, VW Golf R (Reflex silver) 2016
VW Golf R, Golf Match, VW Scirocco 2TDI R line-BMT , 997 Gen 1 Turbo , 997 C2S(Aerokit), 997 C2S, Cayman S, 997 C4S, 997 Carrera, Boxster

Last edited by Slayer on Fri Jun 19, 2015 1:38 pm; edited 1 time in total

cheshire911
Estoril

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That salesman made the cardinal mistake of judging a book by its cover!

Fox Terrier
Hockenheim

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For what it's worth, I have always found the receptionists at Porsche Hatfield to be most charming and helpful. The salesman who sold me my first Porsche always comes over and says hello even though I rather treacherously bought my last one (used) from Bournemouth; who were also very friendly. Popped in to the OPC Cambridge as I was passing the other day and it's probably fair to say I won't bother going there when I get my next 911 as they couldn't be bothered acknowledging my existence.
Brompton M6L
BMW 320d ED

askgeez
Barcelona

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a mate who worked in the print as a machine operator, did loads of overtime, and consequently earned very good money
Was maybe 22, Lived at home with his parents, overweight and bad skin.

Anyway he changed cars more than anyone I know , didn't give 2 hoots about being sensible or depreciation or cost to change. He only bought new , and from main stealers.
I think his record was about 2 weeks before he got bored

Now these were all hot hatches, whatever latest or fastest he just had to have

Doesn't take much imagination to work out the grief he got ,
Whether it's Ford or Porsche, "we" pay these dealers wages...and arrogance on their part is unacceptable

Epilogue: the mate is now a world class DJ and minted, I expect he is troubling sunseeker salesmen these days Floor
997.1 C4s coupe Manual (04/15-06/17)

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: